So, it looks like we may finally be doing something with our lives for the New Year. After what seems to me now like years of carefully reviewing every last detail, and negotiating endlessly, and hunting for quality attorneys, CPA's and realtors, we've signed a contract to buy a practice in Northern CA.
You'd think now we can relax, move out there, just take over and enjoy a fantastic income while we're paying off the huge debt we just signed up for. But that's now how it goes. At least not in our case. It seems like the things that need to get done don't end. There are always some papers to be reviewed, signed, faxed, or what not. Then we have to move across the country, and figure out things like where to live, health insurance, and little details like how to actually run a practice.
And most importantly, you have to secure financing. Which makes me sick to my stomach right now. We've contacted 5 banks, 4 of them a week before Thanksgiving. And somehow those banks are taking their jolly good time to get back with any info. And so I'm stressed. Because with buying a practice also comes the joy of raking up huge expenses before you've even made a penny (how about a $1250 bill from the CPA just for helping you figure out what you want to put in your offer for buying the practice, or $1000 for the Attorney to read over your offer for you, or all the escrow fees running up already to about $3000, and we won't mention the commission for the realtor, or the $4000 for moving us across the country and..., geeze, where did I put that $10,000 bill again???). So, costs are piling up, while our bank account says "empty" and it's simply freakin' me out. The sale cannot go through if we're not getting the line of credit we need. So we're in this weird limbo state of waiting, and raking up bills hoping all works out.
Sick. Really. I'm totally stressed. But if all works out, we'll be packed and rolling out of Ohio on the 3rd of January.
And if all goes well, then I can maybe finally figure out our health insurance, and stuff related.
Or sleep at night. Peacefully. No wait. That won't happen for a while either way. If all works out I'll still be sick to my stomach for while over the huge debt load we just took on, wondering if we just made the biggest mistake EVER.
But it seems like a really great choice. The practice is well-established and solid. It nets a great income on a 3-day work week!!!! We feel it'll be a great opportunity to do many things as a family and pursue a lot of the things we care about. The draw back is the debt and living in a town of 3500 people - with the closest big town being an hour away (and only being 100,000 people big). But hey, San Fran is only about 4 hours away. That's really not so bad.
Anyway, so in a few weeks we should be living in CA, and running our own practice. It should be fun and great and exciting. Hopefully it all works out. But while we're still in limbo, I just feel stressed. Lots of bills that I'm not sure I can pay do that to me.
I hate debt. How have Americans lived so peacefully for so long with so much debt????
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Now I'm getting excited for you! I hope it works out. What town are you looking at? I have family much further north, but my parents also have a vacation home an hour or so north of mendocino (which is about 4 hours north of san fransisco.).
I love Northern CA. It's my favorite place in the world.
Good luck! Take some deep breaths, and repeat...it will all work out... over and over.
Alice, we'll be a little East of Redding. So, if all works out, you HAVE to visit if you're ever in the area.
I'm still hoping to make a stop in Utah if/when we move, but with all the awesome winter weather we've been contemplating taking a more southern route (I-40). We'll see. Nothing will happen anyway until we've figured out the credit issue.
I'm super excited for you Fran! Maybe I should send you some pepto bismol for your ulcers! :)
I know what you mean. Teanu has been interviewing forever, and there is so much paperwork and more debt, and people not retiring, and yes, how can I live peacefully for the next twenty years with a monthly debt payment of over $2000?
Anyway...you are lucky to end up in northern CA. I'l tell you our destination as soon as we know!
how fun! Except the debt part. Until we moved to Pittsburgh we were completely credit card debt free. Of course we have a ton of student loan debt, but we never used any credit cards. This last move put us in a bad position and we started using credit cards. 1 1/2 years later and I feel it is getting out of control. We just can't catch up. It is a scary thing.
We could meet up in the redwoods! I hope things work out and soon, so you can stopped being worried about it!
My aunt lives in Eureka.
Yeah! Northern CA is one of the approved places I'll live when we are finally done. (: The downside- we can't drive and visit you anymore. If I was feeling better, I might make the trip one more time, but I don't think that's happening. ):
As far as debt goes, I hear you. I try not to think about the school debt we have, but really, it's more like an investment. (: And we did have to take out a relocation loan in order for us to move out to NY. We weren't happy about it, but what can you do? Someday it will be paid off. But money stress is terrible. We just had to put a new roof on the house, and now how a credit card balance for the first time since we first got married. I hate it, even though it's 0% interest, and it will be paid off before interest starts accruing. At first, I was miserable and stressed about it. But then I decided to just enjoy my life, knowing I"m doing the best I can, and knowing that someday it will all be worth it.
Hang in there!!
I'm excited for everything to work out for you Franzi! It's really nice that Henry can at least buy a practice. Watching my brother and BIL start their optometry practices from the ground up (and taking years until they broke even and were actually earning an income), that will definitely be a bit nicer than starting from scratch.
I know what you mean about the debt. It has been killing us knowing we've been gaining interest over the last 6 years of residency/fellowship and we can't wait to start getting it paid off in a a few months. It eats me up and I think that the day we finally pay off the last bill will probably be one of the most satisfying days of my life! Here's to paying off those debts as quickly as possible!!
Hang in there!
Ahhhhhh, at least we're not alone being miserable about debt.
I have to say though that right now $2000 in monthly payments would be great.
With buying the practice and building, and our student loans we're looking more at about $7000 in monthly payments, which is a truly scary amount.
But of course the idea is to only take on payments that make sense. The practice should be making about twice that amount each month, so then it's not that scary anymore.
However, then we start wondering about all the things that COULD go wrong (the little town burning down in a wildfire, everyone leaving because of unemployment, or who knows what...). It's simply scary to take on a lot of debt.
But if things stay stable (or only decrease a little bit), we should be able to have everything paid of, excluding student loans in about 15 years.
That's not so bad. Unless we want to buy a house. Then all that changes again. :)
Urgh. Yes, I think the day most of our debts are paid of, I'll probably pass out from joy.
Anyway, it doesn't really matter as long as we don't get our start-up loan/line of credit. So, keep your fingers crossed we have that figured out soon. Otherwise, I think I really will have ulcers soon.
Money is just stressful.
If it all works out though, you all have to come visit some day. There's plenty of fun outdoors-y stuff where we'll be. We may even be able to afford horses down the road (something I've always dreamed of, but never could see it happen).
On the bright side, there's a temple in Sacramento, so you wont have to go as far as Oakland (across the bay from SF). I grew up in a slightly less small town east of Redding. Will be an exciting change for your family. :)
Post a Comment