Sunday, January 2, 2011

All is Well that Ends Well

I think that's what Shakespeare said somewhere. :) As you all know, the last year started off rather unpleasant for us - extreme school stress, loss of a little baby, health concerns, pregnancy attempts, more school stress, messed up vacations, lame comments, misunderstandings, friends moving away, etc. - all crammed into about the first half of the year. But, I have to say that despite a few broken teeth during the second half of the year, it all ended fairly well. All is well with the Pattersons. We survived 2010, realized how mighty the power of prayers on your behalf can be, how hard it is to lose a little baby, and how wonderful each day is that you have with your loved ones. Oh, and how awesome it is to not have broken teeth. Yes. Now I'm excited for 2011 and all it will bring. I'm excited to hold my next little daughter in my arms, excited for Henry to finish school and for us to hopefully earn some money. Excited to maybe/hopefully be moving. Excited to have more family come and visit. Excited to see Sophia continue to develop and grow. Excited for our 5-year anniversary. Excited to train for a marathon. Excited to be alive. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and a happy switch into the new year. We sure did, celebrating Christmas in the quiet and peace of our own home and little family, and then partying into the New Year with friends to wonderful Raclette, chocolate fondue and games. I think we've been so caught up in simply enjoying this wonderful season that I basically took no pictures.

Ok, we do have a few pictures we've taken in the last few weeks that I wanted to share, but only few of the Holidays.
Here is Sophia with her good friend, partying on our bed while we were babysitting.

 Sophia got one part of a little doll nursery set early, and put it to good use right away.
 But she actually doesn't need any official toys - just give her a confined space and she'll probably be thoroughly entertained. Please also note the German Flag Apron she's sporting!
 Sophia enjoying one of her 3 presents she opened on Christmas Eve - a wooden doll house.

 Again, happily playing in a confined space - a little bed for her dolls (or herself, I guess).
 This is how I found Sophia when I had put her down for a nap in her pack 'n play in our closet. That's basically all my clothes in her crib, along with one of my shirts on her.
 Trying to hide her face when she woke up and noticed me taking pictures...hmmmm, I guess at least she'll know what to do for future criminal acts the press may get a hold of...
 Decorating her 'doggy'.
 Watching the countdown for the New Year on TV. Please note the blanket covering Sophia. I made it myself for little Alba. I thought it'd be a fun, quick project. But it turned out to be very nightmarish (thanks to me choosing one fabric that was stretchy), and included staying up past midnight, re-opening at least 6 seams or more, pricking myself bloody at least 3 times, breaking the needle on the machine at least once, and a bit of swearing and hysterical laughter in between.



Anyway, life is good. In the last few weeks I've thought this quite often. I look at my little family and I just feel so happy. I realize we have everything we could possibly want. We have food on our table every day, we have a warm and dry place to live in, we have medical care, clothes, friends and family, toys and games, nature to enjoy, education, books, music, and most importantly the light and hope of the gospel of Jesus Christ. There may have been hard moments and set-backs in the last year. And I'm sure there will be more in the future, but I realize that just knowing that we're an eternal family, and that change and hope can always be a part of my life - well, what else does anyone really need?

 P.S. I have a funky smile in these pictures, because I had this huge chunk of cotton in my mouth to protect my tongue from my broken teeth. I should have taken it out, but didn't think of it in time...

2 comments:

KroekieMonsters said...

What a cute little criminal.
I'm also jealous that you are being so creatively productive (I feel very lame).

Danny and Darcie said...

I love the family photos! Where were they done and who did you get to do them for you. I would love just one family picture where we are all looking at the camera. Unfortunately, Derrick always has other ideas :)