Sunday, December 19, 2010

Oh Sophia!

Can I just say that I'm crazy about our little Sophia! I just love her so much, and she just keeps making me laugh with all the silly, cute, sweet and wonderful things she does. I tried to write some of them down the other day, but then when I sit down I can't remember half of it. So, I figured I better capture some of it right now while I remember some of it.

Today at Church she was being her usual social self. I think I've almost given up on trying to have her be reverent, because it's like heaven for her when we sit down in the Chapel and there are people everywhere. She LOVES it. So, today she immediately buddied up with a girl in the row behind us. She was all chatty, and showing her all her "stuff", giving her all her pens and paper and everything else she had. I love how she just wants to give all her stuff to others all the time. I really had to laugh though when she started throwing stuff over the pew (on purpose) while saying "oopsey daisy". Yeah whatever. Or when she poked the girl, thinking she'd like it, but she didn't so she said she was sorry and tried to hug her while hanging half way over the pew. Haha. So cute.

Then we had 3 teenagers over for dinner today. Their mom works superlong shifts, and so we figured it'd be nice to have them over for dinner and games. Sophia went crazy with joy. Henry picked the kids up with Sophia, and when they came home she came running to me telling me she brought "friends". Also, she offered to take one of the kids jacket's and then handed it to Henry to hang it up. What a hostess. She didn't know their names, but kept talking about her friends. And once again, she dragged out all her toys and gave everyone some of her toys.

Then yesterday, while trying out my new sewing machine, and getting quite frustrated with everything I tried, Sophia kept asking me "Mama bist du traurig?" (Mom are you sad?). She keeps amazing me with how well she picks up on emotions. The other day as well, I was getting frustrated while trying to buckle her into the car seat. She wasn't very cooperative, and I wasn't very patient. Then she looked at me and said "Mama musst du dich beruhigen? Sophia muss sich beruhigen!" (Mom do you have to calm down? Sophia needs to calm down!). Then she said she was sorry, and hugged me. Hello melting motherheart. I told her I did have to calm down, and that I was sorry, too for getting frustrated.

Or I loved this morning. At 5.30am I was wide awake, then Henry woke up too, and then we heard Sophia quietly talking/singing in her room. So, we went and got her for a little family cuddling time in bed. When she was in our bed, I could hear her starting to sing a song about a "big bed" and a "little bed". So cute.

We talked about St. Nickolaus the other day, and how he was a really good man, who tried to be like Jesus. I asked Sophia if he tried to be like Jesus after we had talked about him for a while. She said "yes". Then I asked her if she wants to be like Jesus? Her answer? No. Oh well.

I also love her honesty. We have an Advents Calendar hanging in our hall way, full of chocolate, and it is within her reach. She's been very good about not eating any chocolate, except for the one piece she gets each day. But the other day I guess she couldn't resist. She actually took out 2 extra pieces, but then came and reported to me that she was eating chocolate. When I asked her if that was ok, she said it wasn't, and willingly put the "forbidden" chocolate in the trash. I love her goodness, but sometimes get freaked out. She seems almost too good to be true. Shouldn't she be secretly stashing all the chocolate she can get????

She's also getting so good at telling us what she did or where she put stuff. The other day she played with my cell phone, and when I needed it I couldn't find it. I asked her where my cell phone is, but didn't really expect any credible information (considering the fact that we still have a lot of situations where we read a book with her and ask her simple questions like "What is your name?" and she'll say "yes" or something like that). However, she told me it was under my bed, and when I looked sure enough there it was. A similar thing happened yesterday. I was going somewhere, and saw Henry's cell phone in the car. I ran back inside, and put his cell phone on a ledge by our stair case. Sophia was drawing in the living room, and saw me with the phone. Henry didn't. Later on Henry told me that he had asked Sophia is she knew where his phone was, and she told him that I had it. Smart girl.

She also is doing well at telling us when she's scared. She is definitely going through a phase right now where everything apparently is scary. She burst into tears of fear when she had clanked a toy on the table, and ran to me telling me she was afraid (Mama, ich habe Angst). Then she'll cling to me, while I tell her that everything is ok. Some of the things she picks are definitely weird and random (lamps, her own noises, kids she actually loves, toys), but others are legitimately scary, and I love when she comes and simply tells me that she's afraid. Today I let her watch the Muppet Christmas Carol movie, and she was afraid of the Angel of Christmases Past. She simply walked over to me and told me, and had me fix it. 

Anyway, maybe all of this is normal for a 26-months old girl. I don't know. But it always strikes me as special, and sweet.

And just to record some of her quotes:

While watching me pull dinner out of the oven:"Mama, brauchst du Hilfe? Mama brauchst du Hilfe?". Me all touched, said I could use some help and asked her if she wanted to come and help me. Sophia:"No."

Just before barfing in the car:"Urgghhhhh, Baby im Bauch!".

Randomly uttered in the car:"Ich will eine klitzkleine Raupe sein!"

3 comments:

Isa said...

what a sweet little girl you have!

Marie M. said...

a gentle spirit that will keep melting you. Merry Christmas by the way: Joyeux Noel!

KroekieMonsters said...

Does she watch Siebenstein, with Rudi?