I made sure my birthday would be off to a good start by biting into a hardy piece of bread on Friday night, and...cracking off part of my very back bottom molar. It took me a while to figure out that my tooth broke and that it wasn't the bread having some crazy hard pieces in it. So, once I noticed the damage, I was pretty bummed about what happened. Things got better over night. When I woke up the next day I noticed that the now ragged rough tooth had grated my tongue raw (the chip is on the inside of the tooth, touching the tongue), making taking and swallowing pretty darn painful. Nice. Who wouldn't want that for their birthday? I tried to off-set the pain by stuffing cotton in my mouth to protect my tongue from further damage. It's worked pretty well, except that it made me sound like an idiot (or like Sean Connery on SNL). Well, apart from the miserable meals, I now prepped myself for needing a crown, and moved on with life. So I thought.
Earlier on tonight I noticed my ragged spot feeling more ragged. I ordered Henry to take another picture of my broken tooth. After doing that, I noticed that now a piece of the molar adjacent to the broken tooth had also broken off a corner. Sweet. Two broken molars. Both on the bottom. Now both needing a crown. You gotta love lots of good news coming at you all at once. I had my bro-in-law (aka dentist and orthodontist) look at our nice photos of the damage, only to support my fears of needing two crowns, and adding to it the bright prospects of likely needing a root canal as well, and some part of my bone removed. Really? And did I mention that those molars are on the bottom, where the crowns will be nicely visible? Oh wait. That means one of them ought to be ceramic, making everything even more expensive, now and in the future - since those ceramic ones, from all I heard, don't hold up that well. Ahhhhh...Happy Birthday to me. Henry wanted me to be excited about my birthday/Christmas gift he just gave me. But considering the fortune my teeth will cost me now, not to mention the gazillion dentist visits with either a new born or, well, I don't know, I have to say I'm not excited anymore. I just want to cry at how much this will cost us, and how much work and pain it will be, and I can't help but stress and wonder how on earth I'll get this all done while being pregnant/having a new born. The timing couldn't have been better. I just got two teeth fixed in the last 2 months to prevent exactly this kind of disaster, and that all while being worried and concerned to get dental work done while pregnant. I really feel like crying. This sucks so bad.
Monday, December 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Fran, yes it sucks. But what a great picture! :)
Well, at least, you still have the rest of your mouth full of teeth.
Hahahahaha...I had to laugh so hard at your comment, Marie! You seriously like the picture????? Only an artist would say such a thing. So funny. Yes, it IS a blessing that I still have my other teeth, and that comparatively the costs to fix this will be much less for us right now than a lot of other people. So, still blessed. But, still such bad timing, and such a crummy thing to have happen. Oh well. Life goes on, right?
Oh Fran, that is so sad!! And I would recommend NOT going to the school! Go to someone who does lots of root canals. Believe me. It's worth it.
So, I got my teeth checked out today. I'll definitely be needing crowns on both teeth. The root canal is not a sure thing, and they can't really tell if I need one until they take out the filling in the back tooth. With some luck, I won't need one. If I do, I also would prefer not doing it at the school, but I'm not sure what will be the best option at that point. I may try and find an endodontist out there if that's what I'll need (and if Medicaid covers that).
As for the bone-removing surgery to fit my crown, it's iffy. We may get away with not needing the surgery, but it's quite close and they don't really know yet. So, I guess for now I'm still stuck with 2 crowns, a possible root canal and a possible surgery to remove some bones. Sweet.
Awww. anything tooth-related stinks, I'm sorry. Dental bills are a pain in the neck.
(AND lol, thanks for the pic, haha). But I have to ask: are those amalgam fillings? Haven't seen those in a decade!
Btw, your health is a worthy investment. Once it's taken care off you'll feel much better.
Also ich find das Foto echt ekelig, wie zum Kukuck habt ihr das so gut hin bekommen oder will ich das besser nicht wissen. Naja also ich habe ja schon eine Keramikkrone und ich muss sagen die hält super und soll auch eigentlich Lebenslang halten. Naja aber ich fühle mit dir, hatte eine Wurzelbehandlung gleich nach Amelies Geburt und werde bald auch eine Krone brauchen, über die Kosten will ich mir auch noch keine Gedanken machen, den in Ö wird Zahnmäßig fast nichts gezahlt, also teuer teuer. Auf jeden fall ein Geburtstag den du nie vergessen wirst. ICh drück dir die Daumen dass es nur bei den Kronen bleibt.
Yes, Isa, those are amalgam fillings. They're ancient (which is maybe why my teeth broke). And, I agree that it's a worthwhile investment. I'd rather have crowns than no teeth. It's still crummy. The crummiest part about it is that I'm getting all my work done at the dental school here at the University. It makes everything pretty cheap, which is nice, but it.takes.forever. In this case, which would be maybe 3-4 visits at the dentist taking maybe 2 hours each or something, we're more looking at 10 or more visits each taking probably several hours. My friend (Kari) got her root canal done at the school and said it took 3 visits each about 3-4 hours just for one single root canal.
So, that part really stresses me. It's not something you want to deal with when you have a newborn who wants to nurse every 2 hours or so. :(
Julia, interesting to hear about your crown. I guess that should make me feel good that you've already got a bunch, while I have none. Haha. But, I did hear that ceramic is not supposed to last as well and as long as metal. So, now I wonder...Clearly, ceramic would look much better.
P.S. And, while the picture isn't pretty it could be far grosser. :) At least it doesn't include any chewed food, right? :)
Post a Comment