Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sunshine on a Cloudy Day

When you've been sitting on the couch a lot, feeling sad, eating chocolate ice cream and nutella, that caring friends have brought you to make you feel better, and you kind of ignore your cute little child because you just feel too sad, and you're not working out, and you start eating crap because you don't feel like cooking, or doing anything really (except sitting on the couch), and then you start feeling like a big fat blob, and your poor ignored little child starts acting up, being clingy and crying, and you start feeling like the worst mom because you didn't pay attention, and you feel fat, from all the chocolate, crappy foods, not working out and sitting on the couch, but you're still on the couch, thinking about the horrible mom you are, and how sad you are, and how you wish your lower back would stop hurting, and then someone has a baby, and you're really really happy for them, because they really deserved that cute little baby, but you can't help feeling a little sad for yourself, and then you read comments how someone who had a natural birth deserves a metal, and you can't help feeling like your birth was second class because by the time the other person with their natural birth had their baby you had only dilated a centimeter, so eventually you ended up with pitocin and an epidural, and now you feel even more losery, (and fat), and your baby is still clingy and crying a lot and throwing tantrums, and then your husband gets a facebook invite from his old girlfriend, and since you're into torturing yourself you have to check out her blog, just to find that she's about 10 times prettier than you and at least twice as accomplished (as all of Henry's past flames are), and now you feel even worse, and you start remembering every single rejection of your life, and every comment on you being fat, and/or ugly, or 'too wild for any guy to ever want you' and all the doubts even my own husband had about my looks or just me come back, and you think your husband cannot possibly love you because no one can, and that your body is probably not only hideous but too old and decrepit to have children, and one day your husband will probably regret marrying you (if he doesn't already), and he must realize how losery and fat and hideous you are, and amongst all that feeling crappy, you have a suspicion that your hormones are probably to blame because your hormone levels ought to be really dropping right now, but that doesn't change you feeling like crap and believing firmly that you're all the bad things you 'know' you are, and then you're sitting on the kitchen floor bawling, with your baby in your lap, talking away and looking at mami's tears, and this continues for almost 3 days, and you just feel like the worst person alive, and tired on top of it all because you haven't been able to sleep, and now you're trying to nap, but Sophia woke up early, and then someone knocks on the door, and knocks again, then rings the bell, so you finally get up ready to rip off the person's head just to be handed this:

Then you feel like a little ray of sunshine has broken through the clouds, and for a second or two you know it'll be ok, and that soon you'll feel better again, maybe even tomorrow. Thanks. The timing couldn't have been better.

5 comments:

Henry said...

I wish I had thought of that. Instead I did the taxes. Sorry to my dear wifey. Sorry that I've been so consumed with studying and optometry. I'll be a better husband.

Maren said...

I love you Fran. I'm glad you got off your butt and accepted the flowers. :)

Danny and Darcie said...

I am so glad someone gave/sent you flowers. That was super thoughtful, and you deserve it. Love you Fran. I hope more sunshine is coming your way.

Angie said...

We love you and hope that you feel our love for you every time you look at the flowers. I hope that they'll continue to remind you of the sunshine. And then I hope that they remain beautiful until you go to Germany. And then you'll get to spend time with your family and receive strength and love and support from them. And then when you return home, you will be stronger and better (even if the sadness never really leaves) and more ready to get back into the routine of things.

Romi said...

I love you Fran!! I know from experience that it's hard to believe when other people give compliments, especially about looks, but I hope you do believe me when I say I think you're beautiful!! There is so much about you that is beautiful...inside and out!!!!