
On Monday I went to IKEA for some nursery shopping. I bought a picture from my favorite artist that I very desperately wanted in general as well as for our nursery. Even though it was quite the financial splurge, it was the one thing I was pretty determined to have (I figured who needs a diaper changing table - I'd rather have a cool picture). Then, I also bought a picture frame that is long and narrow and allows you to put 5 pictures into it. I wasn't sure yet what I was going to do with it, but thought it'd be nice for the nursery as well.
While driving back, the idea came to me to make it a generational thing and put in pictures of my great grandma (on my mom's side), my grandma, my mom, me and then our little girl. I thought it was a neat idea.
Just now I sat down to see if I had any pictures of my great grandma and grandma. When we got married, my aunt had given me CDs with the genealogy on my mom's side as well as old family pictures. And, just now as I looked through all the stuff, I found that the name that we have chosen for our little girl (which I felt very strongly years ago would be the name of our first child, which would be a girl), happens to be part of my heritage. My great grandma had one version of the name in her name, and my great great grandma had another version of the name in her name. The name we picked is the perfect combination of those two names from my ancestry. I don't know why that makes me so happy. But I was really excited at the discovery, and even more excited now to put together the picture frame and hang it up in the nursery.
P.S. The picture is of my great grandma...whose full name I will not yet reveal.
7 comments:
I'm excited too Fran. It's going to look really nice in Baby's room. The huge Klimt canvas print makes the room complete. I love how you decorate our home.
I love that picture of your grandma. So beautiful.
Ha! Die CD habe ich auch zu Hause und habe sie mir neulich auch angeschaut, als ich mit meinen JDs ueber Genealogie sprach. Dann werde ich sie mir jetzt nochmal anschauen in Hinblick auf die Namen :)
That's a cool experience. Thanks for sharing it. Hopefully, your daughter will cherish her heritage.
It's nice when you connect with your heritage like that, isn't it? My great-great grandparents got married on my birth month-day and I got married on her birth month-day, a hundred and twenty years apart or so. But, just having that connection is cool.
That is SO neat!! I love stories like that!
I can't wait for the name to be revealed! :)
Karin :
ich finde es eine sehr nette Idee
die Bilder Deiner Urgroßmutter,
Großmutter, mir und Dir ins Kinderzimmer zu hängen, denn wir sind doch ein Glied in der Kette unserer Vorfahren und ich freue mich, es bald zu sehen!
Post a Comment