Thursday, August 25, 2011

Happy Times

Wow, did the summer just fly by or what? I can't believe it's already the end of August. It's been such a nice summer (for the most part). Alba has finally decided to roll over, and has been rolling around the place. She also thinks she's a bird or something, and is frequently squealing in a really high-pitched way that kind of sounds like the chirping of a bird. It's really cute, and we love her happy, cuddly, chubby ways. Sophia is really into reading right now. Yeah. Reading. Mainly she likes playing computer games that teach letters and reading, but she also wants to read because it's what "big people" do. She thinks she's all grown up. We just had a conversation about it the other day, when she wasn't clear on why it is that she's not allowed to drive our car. After all, she has grown, and has grown "big" - so what's the hang-up Mom and Dad? Anyway, so she likes reading right now. I've tried to not push that one on her, but she actually asked us herself. So, who am I to stop her? There are a couple of simple words she can decipher (like Oma, Opa, Mama, Papa, and that kind of stuff). We've also signed her up for Pee Wee Soccer. I don't know if I'm more excited for that or Sophia. At any rate, I wouldn't mind some serious soccer playing daughters. :)

As a family we've tried to spend more time together playing and reading. It's been nice to have Henry home more.  On Tuesday we all went to Zoombezi Bay (a water slide park here in Columbus) and it was such a great day. The kids were on their best behavior, Sophia played in the water all day, and Henry and I took turns riding all the slides. The weather was great, the park not too crowded and best of all it only cost us a total of $33 to get in (vs. $25 for Sophia, and $66 for us). We really needed a fun, relaxing day like that.

Other than that, Henry is still busy working, and looking into various practice opportunities. We have a few options that look pretty promising, but none of them are just straight up "perfect". So, we're trying to figure out all the details and maybe make a decision at some point if any of those options "are for us". We'll see. For sure, keep us in your prayers. It's a little unsettling making big decisions like where you potentially want to spend the rest of your life and try to earn a livelihood.

And then, last but not least, Henry and I are still training for a marathon. I ran 16 miles last Saturday. That's the farthest I've ever run. I actually felt amazingly good afterwards, so maybe all this "training" is paying off. But, it's also getting a bit boring, and also not helping with my weight loss goals. So, I'm occasionally tempted to quit and try something else. Then again, I had running a marathon as a goal this year, and I simply enjoy working towards a goal. I guess I'll hang in for now.

Well, that's all I got for now...Now we're just looking forward to a family reunion in AZ next week. Wee, more sunshine! :) And maybe even some Cafe Rio food. I sure hope so!!!!





3 comments:

Kari said...

I'm so glad your summer has been great. I wish we could say the same... But after tomorrow the worst eight weeks of residency will be over!

Henry said...

Another Sophiaism: At the barber I ask Sophia if she wants a haircut too. She's says, "I don't want a haircut. I just want a lollipop." And she got two because she went and asked; once for her and once for me, both which she promptly ate herself.

H

Danny and Darcie said...

Fran~

I think I will e-mail this request too you too. But can you add my waitefam@gmail.com address to you other blog so I can comment? I think when you were taking requests you added my hotmail account. Thanks!