Friday, January 7, 2011

Goals for 2011

We just read what my sis-in-law's goal was for 2011, which reminded me to record my aspirations for the year. Henry  just informed me that his goal for this year is to become an optometrist. Great goal. He better reach it or else. Anyway, I've been trying to set simple goals in the last few years to help me slowly reach bigger goals. And it's been working pretty well for me. So, for this year, other than surving the last few months of having Henry sweat and dread through school, I hope to keep improving in the 3 areas I've been focusing on in the last few years.
  1. In the last years we've worked on attending the temple more regularly, and then reading our scriptures daily. I'm glad that we've really improved, and thankfully started to make those things more of habits again. This year, I think I need to really focus on prayer.
  2. In the last 2 years we've worked in first reducing meat consumption, and then trying to basically cut out red meat completely. We've done fairly well. I think. I've only actually bought red meat 3-4 times this year, eating burgers on road-trips excepted. Hopefully, no red meat at all this coming year. However, what I really want to do is also make sure that the animal products we still buy (be that milk, cheese, poultry, or whatever) comes from sustainable, responsible local farms. Cost has been one major factor that has held me back from this in the past, along with simple convenience. But, as our income will hopefully change for the better this year, I hope that I can make improvements in this area.
  3. I want to train for a full marathon this year. I'm not sure how achievable it is to actually be ready to participate in one in the fall, but that's what I'm shooting for - to run it, and hopefully turn it into a fundraiser. Last year Henry rode the Pelotonia to raise money for cancer research. My sis-in-law pointed out that if she had money to donate it'd have to be for either diabetes research or HLHS. So, if I'm fit and ready, I'll try and run to raise money for HLHS research. HLHS is a heart defect my nephew suffers from. Google it to learn more about it. It's not really curable unless you get a heart-transplant, though there are surgeries now that increase your life expectancy, I think, from more or less 0 without the surgeries to about 15-20 years with the surgeries. After that, for all I know, you still need a transplant.
That's it. Those are my specific goals for the year. There always will be the daily goals of being patient, forgiving, kind, and appreciative, and enjoying each moment with my kid(s) and husband...but those are a given, right?

2 comments:

Dave said...

I've been working on #2 - a bit on the red meat front, but more on the sustainable farming. I now buy only free-range chicken, even though it's about three times the price of the standard stuff.

I've also stopped going to KFC, as their chicken-raising practices leave a bit to be desired.

I hope to start buying from the farmer's market a lot more this coming year now that I live close to downtown and have a bicycle.

Franziska Patterson said...

Nice Dave. Yeah, buying dairy and meat from sustainable, and responsible sources is quite pricey. I'm thinking that I should maybe simply starting to buy that stuff anyway, which will probably automatically lead to a decrease in consumption of animal products. Haha...

Good thing cutting out KFC though. We basically never eat Fast Food anymore, with the exception of road trips, and even then we try to avoid it if we can or try to find the healthier options. Fast food is just nasty.