Anyway, I just had to vent. Why? Because recently I've been really concerned and upset about the recent security changes at airports from the TSA. And I've gotten some lame comments on my efforts to try to let people know what's going on as well as trying to change this by writing to our representatives. Grrrr...So, since I really really care about the whole TSA stuff, I'll mention it on here as well, and tell you why you, too should be concerned/upset. I'll even try to keep it "to the point".
- Terrorism threats on airplanes are statistically insignificant. If we take all the known bomb threats/terrorism threats we had on airplanes in the US in the last 9 years (since 9/11, and 9/11 included), we get 8 threats, 4 of which were successfully averted but not by the TSA. Considering that the US has about 500,000 flights a year, that puts your risk of a bomb threat on your airplane at less than 1 in 500,000. I certainly don't want to be blown up in an airplane, but I think it's also smart to think about how real the risk really is. It's easy to get worked up over sensational threats that are, however, unlikely to really happen. To give you an idea, 1 out of 100,000 women die using an epidural during childbirth - and the government certainly isn't promoting this as a huge risk. 11 out of 100,000 die in a car accident. I could go on with the list. You're statistically speaking more likely to die in your car, be murdered, raped, struck by lightening, drown, die of various obesity related deseases etc. than through a bomb on an airplane and yet, we need all kinds of invasive government action to protect us from that one threat????? How about we prohibit cell phone driving? That should save about a couple of thousand lives each year, right away????
- TSA has no record of having successfully averted any threats. They have collected many pocket knifes and the like, but they have no record for successfully having found/detected any explosive materials or other real risks. However, they do have a track record of many instances of failure. So, if they keep beefing up security, but still fail at finding stuff, what makes people think they know what they're doing?
- Terrorism threats keep changing. No matter what single procedure will be made standard, terrorist will find a way around it, until we're targeting the real problem: terrorists. The average traveler is not the problem. Key is finding those who are a problem. Isreal has successfully secured their airport by using behavioral profiling, as well as bomb safe luggage areas. Bomb sniffing dogs are also very effective. Random selection for screening by very unqualified TSA officials, who don't have the brains to assess a person properly, has proven to be pointless, and statistically it also doesn't make sense. If you randomly select people, your chance of catching a terrorist are at best average. If you are trained, and smart enough to know what to look for, and consistently pulling out those people who appear suspicious (not based on merely race, but behavior, travel itinary, luggage checked etc.) you're far more likely to find the real threats. TSA has failed to use any of these simple measures. Maybe because their workforce is not a very qualified and intelligent one (no offense intended - I'm sure they're nice people, they just don't have to prove any particular smarts to get the job). And even if we finally secure airports with scanners and pat-downs, it'll hardly stop there. Then terrorist will see how they can exploit malls, sports events, schools, trains, buses, bridges, ships, parades,...you name it. They'll find something else. So, what are we going to do? Scan everyone as they leave their home, not let anyone enter the country anymore, and do regular searches of all homes to make sure we don't have anyone dangerous in our midst?
- The new scanners supposedly still cannot detect low-density explosive, such as the ones the underwear bomber used. So, you get your nude picture taken, looked at by who knows who, in some dark room, associated with your personal info, hoping it wont be safed, or made fun off, or jerked off to, or whatever else, and hoping the radiation really isn't harmful, and then have it all be for nothing??? Great. Oh, and even if you get scanned, if they see something where they're not sure what it is (pace maker, artifical knee, whatever) you still get a pat-down.
- The new pat-down includes feeling around breast and feeling the breasts, patting up all the way to your crotch, and between your buttocks, and putting hands inside your pants waistband to feel all the way around. The benefit? According to a recent NY Times new articles where a reporter went through the pat-down 8 times with various metal objects to see if they'd notice, the benefit is nill. They never noticed any of the items in the pat-down. And supposedly explosives can't necessarily be found that way either. But there are plenty of youtube clips showing kids that are very uncomfortable being touched that way, as well as adults.
- Lastly, if you still think this is not bad, Mrs. Napolitano has just said that these measures should be spread to ships, buses and trains. And soon probably any major public place. Is this really what you want?
11 comments:
Honestly.. i think everyone cares about different things.. you may care about politics and othere world issues. Other people care about things on a smaller scale..e.g. how they can help that one friend that needs a bit cheering up right now, how they can help those two young women that seem to loose interest in the church and consistently lie to their parents, or if they will be able to do well at their new job. At least that is what takes up most of my time. Which does not mean that i don't care about the big things. I just simply have only a certain amount of time an energy and right now i chose to care about those things.
and i think it is good that some people care about the big things and some care more about the smaller things. That way there is a balance.
Well, you're basically repeating what I said. I said that we don't have time for everything. Clearly no one has time to be involved in maybe everything we ought to care about. No one has the time, energy and resources to care about every single person on the planet, and every problem on the planet. Neither do I. But just because of that, I don't have to put down those who try to make a difference, or not strife to reach out more, and try to do something small or big where I can. Just because I'm limited in time and energy is hardly an excuse to become complacent, I think. Why don't we encourage or applaud those who try in areas where maybe we won't/can't right now?
Lastly, while you didn't directly say it, I object to the suggestion that just because you're involved in "big" things (whatever that's supposed to mean), that you don't care or take time for the small things and vice versa. You basically implied that I care about "politics and world issues", and you choose to care about your friends/YW - what, like I don't care about my friends, family, neighbors, ward members etc???? Big and small issues aren't mutually exclusive, and often times they probably go hand in hand.
Anyway, the issue is not with what things people exactly care about, but rather not caring at all, and then giving those who try to do things crap for making an effort. I'm just tired of that.
I agree that we should not give anyone "crap" that cares about anything in this world. Or that we should get down on anyone that voices their opinion about somthing that is an issue to them. But maybe someone that does not voice their opinion about an issue still cares and is not complacent.
Yeah, maybe...I wouldn't know, except by their comments, and actions (or inaction). Luckily, I haven't said that someone who is silent doesn't care. :)
I'm peeved as well. One problem I've noticed is that a lot of people have resigned themselves to the scans/pat downs because they think it actually makes them safer and haven't done the research to know that it really doesn't. And if we took even half of the money used for this ineffective airport safety and used it for various measures to make road travel safer we could save a heck of a lot more people.
I agree Reni. Well, even if we want to improve airport safety, which is fine with me, there are cheaper ways to do it...I mean, it's gotta be a heck of a lot cheaper to train bomb sniffing dogs than to buy hundreds of those scanners.
My issue with the security is that it takes FOREVER!! Living in Utah, it has now become almost more time effective to drive to any of the Western states such as CA.
Good points from everyone. I also feel irritated by the information vs sensation in this country and in lots of countries (mine included): do they think we're idiots or what? Promoting measures and politics meant to distract us from real issues or to put us in a state of fear (it's much easier to govern and manipulate people when they were taught to fear threats). Showing off how well we've handled possible enemies.
Yes, I'm not impressed.
So, I wasn't planning to comment on your personal blog, and I realize this post is a year old, so maybe it's silly for me to be commenting at all. But this is something that gets me really worked up too, and I'm the kind of person who has to say something when I get worked up. (Which is why I keep talking about politics on my own blog when it just causes tension because almost everyone I know is afraid of the subject.)
ANYWAY. I just wanted to say that the TSA absolutely enrages me, and I get so, so frustrated with people for being willing to put up with this unbelievable level of crap just because the government tells them it will make them safer--when it's been proven a million times that it absolutely doesn't. This is one of my hot-button topics (although that's not saying much because I have several).
Anyway. I absolutely agree with you. And that's all. :)
Oh, and you don't have to post this comment--I just realized that, if you haven't been online since yesterday and seen my comment on your German Philosopher blog, you might not know who I am and would be confused.
Like I said before, I found your blog through Feminist Mormon Housewives, but actually today I discovered that you're friends with one of my friends, Laura Williams, so that was kind of a surprise. Anyway--sorry I can't seem to shut myself up on your blog, I just get really excited when I find someone who seems to think so much like I do (because it's so incredibly rare). Hope you don't mind. :)
Post a Comment