Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Green, Green, Green...

I'm trying to be just that - more green. I've been thinking a lot this month, urm, and the one before that, and well, whenever I have some time. March was a hard month, though not as hard as January and February. I think when I came back from Germany, I felt like I had to tear down the old Fran and rebuild a new one, since apparently the Fran I am is one that just rubs people the wrong way, a lot, everywhere, with everyone. Arghhh. All I ever want is to be a good human being. I really believe in making people feel valuable and of worth. I really believe in making this world a better place for everyone. I really believe in being the best person I can be, but it seems that I fail a lot.

I read this book while in Germany about a lady who had a near death experience. All those near death experience people seem to come back with this one clear understanding - to love thy neighbor. I really want to be that loving and kind person, who reaches out to everyone, who radiates true Christ-like love. I also don't want to destroy this beautiful earth that has been entrusted to us. I want to be good. There have been so many thoughts on my mind about how I need to change and be better. General Conference made me feel even more strongly to try and change. I really want to put away that old Fran that seems to be so offensive. I want to make a greater effort to give of my time and belongings to those less fortunate. I want to think less of me, and do more for others. There is so much need in the world, and so much suffering that it's hard at any time to justify the way we live. Does anyone else struggle with that by the way? It seems so hard for me to feel good about anything 'unnecessary' I do for myself or my family, when there are people suffering left and right.

Also, I want to try to not judge, and to just reach out in love. Wait, I said that before. Well, I mean it. And I want to be more green. I realize there are so many simple things we can change that will have a big impact on the world. So, why not make those changes? Why not be a force for good? I've come up with a list of things I can change and want to change to be more green. But, I'm open to even more suggestions and input. What have you done to be more green? I'm interest in simple things that I can easily implement and that aren't costing too much. Actually, I'd rather have them be money-saving options. But, anything is interesting to me right now. To get you started, how about cleaning supplies? Food? Every day life stuff? How can Fran be more green? If you have input, I want to hear it.

But really, I just want to change and be better. It's hard to swallow your pride and try and change yourself. I'm tempted to think that those who take issue with how I am are at fault, and that they should change. But, I do believe that I am responsible for who I am, and for my happiness. And I'm not happy thinking that others dislike me so much. So, maybe I can be better. Maybe I need to be better. :( Maybe it's time to change.

35 comments:

Henry said...

We are recycling and we have our energy efficient washer. I think we could fix our catalytic converter in our car for starters. Maybe even soup up our car to run on bio-diesel or maybe even olive oil. That 30 days episode was cool to watch.

Though, I'm still a fan of wearing deodorant.

H

Talyn said...

I always feel green when planing my garden. I'm not sure it saves much money the first few years, but after that it does. I also think it teaches a person to appreciate the earth more when they take part in an entire cycle of life. Not to mention that the vegetables are yummier. You don't have to have a yard to grow vegetables either, just some sun, dirt, and water.

I also have been finding that people are offended by me lately, and I think the main problem is how I say things. It's not what I meant that offends people, just what I said. Apparently I don't have a very good command of the English language and thus can't say what I mean. I'm inspired by your desire to change.

Oh man, I just realized you're married to Henry the plant man. You probably already have gardening down.

mom said...

You make me cry, Fran. I just love you so much. I don't want you to feel bad or to change.

You are a dear, dear person. I wish more people knew you the way I do. I wish they could recognize your open spirit, your deep sensitivity, your honesty which hides nothing for hope of the approval of others, your firm intention to be open, to talk, to share, and to care. Your encouragement for your fellow beings. Your compassion for the downtrodden, the hungry, the poor, the hopeless, the discouraged, the confused, the beaten down.

Thank you for being yourself. I love your zest for life, your enthusiastic hard work for things of value and your great love.

Carry on, my girl.

Love, your extra mom

Maren said...

I love to use vinegar and water mix to clean my windows, mirrors, counter tops, etc.

I do feel disgusted with how we live. I have always been embarrassed by my home and we are finally serious about selling it to down-size.

I think the thing about not offending is first, feeling good about yourself and second, accepting others ways of doing something as just as good as our own. Something I am always working at.

Fran, I miss having you around. Knowing you and the sweet love and concern that is such a part of you is so easy to know when you are near. I don't want you to move to Austin, or any where else, I want to have you in my city so we can visit and go running together.

It has always been hard for me to go home and then come back with out wanting major changes in myself. I think more people are like that then we realize. I think it is wonderful that you are always analyzing and trying to become better. good job.

Henry said...

We could have an club called LOG - loud, offensive girls or something. I'm sure how I say things is a big contributor to my oh so offensive nature. But, I don't think that is the only factor. I think sometimes the fact that I say something at all, that I discuss and bring up things people don't like are part of it, and sometimes it has nothing to do with how I say things or what I say or what I mean, but that it's simply not the response someone else wants, and I didn't realize it. ... Being popular is a tall order. I doubt I'll ever get there. But luckily, I'm not so worried about actually being popular but rather to truly connect with people, and being Christ-like. So, hopefully I have a chance.

By the way, we're totally gardening Talyn! I think I started it though. ;) Henry, however, is the crazy one who wants to start everything from seeds while I'm content to just grow stuff I bought ready at the nursery.

Maren, what water/vinegar ratio do you use? Does it actually get stuff clean? Smears? Soap scum? Does it smell nice? I'm into nice smells. Maybe I could add lemon juice...?
Fran

Unknown said...

Ooh, I use vinegar for cleaning! I use it on pretty much everything, but I use it neat (straight from the bottle, no water mixed in). The great thing about vinegar is it eats away stuck-on goo, there's no smell after it has evaporated, and it's cheap! Cheaper than dirt, even. Apparently it's anti-bacterial, but in serious situations like raw chicken juice or something, I use a bit of rubbing alcohol. Usually that isn't necessary.

I also buy a gallon of castille soap and use it diluted in the soap pumps around the house. It lasts forever (like a year) and it's great because you can wash your produce with it!

Also, Ikea has really cheap dish towels. If you bought a bunch, you wouldn't have to use as many paper towels.

I do not find you offensive, nor have I ever, and I'm offended by people that are offended by you.

Maren said...

That is one of the things I love most about you Fran, is your desire to truly connect with people. Even if you offend you do not just walk away, you keep trying. I love you.

I use about one part vinegar to 3 parts water but I love the idea of using it full on. No it doesn't streak and it cleans everything without streaks. If I have trouble with getting something up like soap scum I just use a little baking soda with it. Make sure you use the cheap vinegar, it doesn't smell as strong and as Julie said the smell fades quickly. I even us it on the inside car windows and there is no residual smell.

Franziska Patterson said...

Ok, so straight or watered down vinegar for cleaning. Is there any way to make it smell nice??? Castille soap for hands and dishes? Or just hands? What about laundry detergents and dishwasher detergent stuff?

Julie, I think I've decided to give cloth diapers a serious try. They have those Gdiapers, where you can get the covers, with cloth inserts, and/or flushable inserts. I like that I can do cloth for most stuff but maybe opt for flushable stuff for trips, Church, or when someone else is taking care of Sophia. I think I'll give that stuff a try (assuming that one day there will be a baby No. 3...). Have you tried those, or heard anything good/bad about them? You're always so well-researched.

Oh, and we don't use paper towels. At all. Nor napkins, as I noticed recently when twice in a row as we had people over, they requested napkins.

I figure my first and best step to going green was/is to be blogging. I mean, I could be writing all this on paper. Imagine the waste! ;)

Meike said...

I think being aware of what you can change environmentally in your own home is already a good start. I don't think that my little efforts will change the world, but at least i do feel that i am doing something.
I have discussed the cloth diapers with a friend some time and i still wonder: are they really so much more green? Because you still need to wash them. Which will use up energy and water again..

And about being a better person. On sunday i had the chance to listen to the Dalai Lama speak here in Zurich. I was very touched. And i was equally touched by Generalconference the week before. But what really made me think was a comment from my budhist friend that actually invited me for the Dalai Lama. While i was touched by his speech she was disappointed. Disappointed because he did not deliver any new insights, any new message. And then we had a discussion of why i was touched and she was disappointed. I told her about Generalconference and that it really inspires me. But not because there is a sensational new message, but because it makes me look at my life and how well i have implented the message. And to me that is really what it is all about: Introspection and a desire to change.
And i guess from what i have heard this is a life long process :)

Franziska Patterson said...

I'd reckon that cloth diapers are more green mainly because the materials are biodegradable. If you use a earth-friendly laundry detergent, you're not putting bad stuff back into the water and the main issue is water usage. Since we now have a energy efficient washer, I'd think it's still a better choice than diapers that will not decompose for hundreds of years. Plus they really seem to be cheaper in the long run. I don't know...does anyone else have any insights on this?

Talyn said...

I have a friend who used cloth and she claimed she never had blowouts. She also said it was only 2 loads of laundry a week. I can't remember which kind she used, but it wasn't gdiapers. I've heard of a program that lets you try out lots of different cloth diapers and then return the ones you don't like and get your deposit back. I think I heard of it on babycheapskate.blogspot.com. I'd do that before I invested in a bunch of diapers you may not like.

Maren said...

I think cloth diapers, even though using water and electricity, are more eco friendly. We live pretty close to the dump and I appreciate any opportunity to dispose of less trash. Yes you use water and electricity but overall I think it is over all more 'green'.

I am also learning that I need to do what I can and let go of the rest. I find I can make myself very overwhelmed trying to do ALL that I could to be more green. I'll just keep making improvements as I am able.

Unknown said...

You can use castille soap for dishes, but I don't really like to. I use Dr. Bronner's SAL Suds. I just buy a gallon of it and it lasts about a year. It's very earth-friendly and it works GREAT!

I have heard of g-diapers and I know a lot of people like them. And a lot of people don't. I don't know why, though. It might be something about the way the covers fit. I think flushable inserts are a great idea for travel and stuff. A similar option is the Flip system at cottonbabies.com. Their disposable inserts aren't flushable, but they are biodegradable. I think Flips are more affordable than g-diapers. I have three Flip covers and I really like them.

If you want to look into cloth diapers, diaperpin.com and diaperswappers.com are two big online forums that might help. I lurk around there all the time.

Marie M. said...

Being frugal is being green. We also use vinegar and cloths for cleaning; recycle everything; avoid plastic objects, toys or overpackaged products; try to buy local produces; compost; plant; make things ourselves; fix, make it do or do without; second-hand clothes for the kids; and I'd rather save and buy a product I really like and know I will keep for many years (except our furniture are the cheapest IKEA ones...we do what we can with our budget). We just try to not buy into consumerism, but it gets hard sometimes, and I always like I'm consuming too much.
Oh, and I don't find you offending....:)

Franziska Patterson said...

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll definitely be researching the cloth diaper stuff more. And, it's not that relevant anyway right now.

It is easy to feel overwhelmed, but I realize a lot of changes, especially in the 'green' section are pretty easy to make. You just have to sit down once, figure it out, and change it, and then feel good. Like right now, I'll gather up ideas, and info, but then I just have to change - once. It's easy to just toss out all my old cleaners, buy a few plastic spray bottles, baking soda and vinegar and then use that. I also just read about all these little things you add to your faucets and shower heads, and toilet to minimize water flow. That's a one time thing. It's hard to worry and think about these things all the time. Some things are a matter of habit, but a lot of good changes can be easy and instantenous, so that's what I'll try and do.

Henry said...

I like the phase out the old and phase in the new rather than dump our old cleaners. I think that may be less wasteful and cheaper in the long run. That's what I've been doing with lightbulbs now they have smaller fluorescents.

Henry

Franziska Patterson said...

Well, I wasn't going to dump out anything. Don't you fret. But, you can still make the change instantly if you want to, and it's taken care off. You could use up the old, and have the new ready, and take care of that in one day. I'm just saying, a lot of the changes can the and/or are a one time thing. You just change it. And then stick with it. :)
I think a lot of it is just overcoming ourselves and simply changing what we want to change. Getting up and doing it and all that.

By the way Maren, I thought more about your comment on how not to offend. I do agree that accepting others as they are or how they do things as just as valid as our own ways is usually a good way to avoid offending others. But, I don't know that I fully agree with that (oh wait, does that mean I'm not accepting your thought just as good as mine?). I think we need to be respectful and kind. And sometimes it's not worth discussing or looking at differences. But, I also think it's totally fine to think someone is wrong, or to not like their ways or whatever. If we want to go back to the 'letting babies cry it out' for example, I think that's just wrong. People will be hard pressed to convince me that this is the best parenting technique to deal with a baby that struggles to fall asleep. However, just because I disagree, doesn't mean that I have think less of someone who utilizes this method, or that I have to be mean or put someone down. I can simply disagree in a nice way, or in silence. I think that actually a lot of offense arises over people not agreeing with us or not saying what we want to hear. I think I've offended a lot of people (or bothered them) because I stated my opinions and thoughts, and it wasn't what they wanted to hear. Not because anything about what I said was actually mean or degrading, or offensive in itself. They just didn't want to hear my thoughts or opinions or that I disagreed with them. That's what I think. So, now I just have to work on trying to say what people want to hear to make them feel good about themselves and me. :)

Gusti said...

Just wanted to say I love you Fran. How you were, how you are, and how you want to become, I'll take the whole package.

Maren said...

I think you are right Fran. I think that people do get offended when they are told that their idea is not accepted as correct by you or anyone else. I don't think it is a matter of trying to say what people want hear, I don't like the idea of just trying to please everyone, but a matter of learning how to say something, when to say something and when not to which can be very hard indeed. I think most people, including myself, would be better off if we could just assume the best and not the worst in others. I think it is important to not try to change others but also not to assume that one sharing a differing opinion is trying to change you. I love that you are not afraid to share what you are thinking, or that you will just share what you feel is correct even if it is different than what you may have felt before. I guess that what I am saying is that I like how open and honest you are whether or not others agree with you. I like that your comments on different subjects sometimes make me think and even if it is a different opinion then it helps me either see something new or solidify why I feel the way I do. I appreciate that you are trying to be sensitive toward how others react but I also feel it is so important to recognize how valuable you and your ideas really are.

Meike said...

hm... offending. Its a tough topic, because obviously noone goes out and says: today I want to offend all my friends and family.But I also learned my lesson. I learned the lesson that sometimes if we don't want to offend it means to shut our mouth with our opinion and just listen and show empathy. Sometimes the other person does not want to hear our opinion.. :) or maybe not at that time.
just my two cents...

Franziska Patterson said...

Well, it's always important to show empathy. But the tricky part is how to do that correctly. You say it's important sometimes to shut up and not share your opinion but just to listen and to show empathy. True. I agree. Well, how do you show empathy? Just with a hug? What if you try to show empathy with what you say? That's where a lot can and for me usually, does go wrong. Like last year when I just tried to accommodate the feelings of others by explaining why I didn't want to do a Christmas gift exchange. I figured people wanted to hear why. I thought they'd appreciate it if I explained my reasons instead of just saying we're not doing it. Obviously, I was wrong in handling it like that. Was I trying to be nice and considerate of the feelings of others? Yes. Did it come across as such? Nope.

So, how do we know when someone is trying to be empathetic and helpful, and when they're just sharing opinions? I think Maren is right on in saying to assume the best about people and their intentions...it sure helps not feeling offended. Unfortunately, this is only something I can apply for myself not being offended, but I can't expect that that's how others approach my words and actions. That'd be great. But it seems that's not usually the case.

So, yes, you're right, just shutting up is one way to just tackle the problem of not offending. And since I never know when someone actually wants empathy, or when they want a meaningful conversation where we exchange and share our thoughts and views, it's best for me to just shut up - period. And that's what I'm trying to do now. I'll just shut up. I'll put my blog to private, so those who you couldn't take their eyes off of something that offended them aren't as exposed to that 'danger' anymore. I'll talk less. I'll be quiet more. I will try and not share my thoughts/opinions. I'll just focus on saying the right things, the stuff people want to hear so they feel loved and appreciated. And we'll see how it goes.

Maren said...

I've actually found it quite useful to ask people if they would like me to explain further. "Can I give you a suggestion?" "Are you willing/would you like to hear my opinion?" "Would you like to hear how I feel about it?" If they accept it's on their shoulders. Perhaps your friends felt that you were shunning them by offering why you thought a gift exchange wasn't such a good idea when they thought it was such a loving and kind offer. I don't really know but it's just a thought.

Franziska Patterson said...

Well, I think it's not really relevant what people thought (they thought I was lecturing though, if you wanted to know). My point is only that while we all agree that we should be kind and loving with others, and not judge etc. it's kind of hard when you try to set that into practice. Not only because it's hard to change, but because everyone has such a different idea of how those things play out in real life. To one person showing empathy and express love is to give advice, to someone else it's to give a hug, to someone else it's to just listen, to someone else it's talking about their own experiences etc. It's so different for everyone.

Meike suggested that sometimes it's good to shut up and listen, and not share your opinions. That may be the right approach for some, but then again not for others.

I think all I'm really trying to say is that I've realized that my approach of showing how I care, and to bond with people is not appreciated by the fast majority. I don't think that means my way is wrong. I just have to adapt to the individual styles of those people. And most of them seems to enjoy it best when I say nothing, or very little, and basically - just keep my mouth shut. I can do that. I can be quiet, and/or just say things like 'aha', 'hmmmmm' and 'that's gotta be tough' or 'that's so great you're doing that'...or whatever else.

I think asking what/if people want to hear advice/opinions/thoughts may also be a good idea. Maybe I'll try that once I've improved things with sufficient silence.

Unknown said...

Yuck, Fran, I hate the idea of you "just shutting up." That isn't you. Surely you see that other people have their own agency and it isn't your responsibility to keep the whole world from getting their feelings hurt. Some people are looking to be offended. Some people really enjoy it. You can't do anything about that. Naturally, you shouldn't try to hurt people, but you've never done that. You aren't that kind of person and people that know you well understand that.

Showing empathy is great, but sometimes it backfires when you don't actually have any. What I mean is, you can't have empathy for a person if you haven't lived through the situation that they are going through. There's nothing wrong with that. Just admit that you have no experience with what they're dealing with and you imagine it must be really hard. In my experience, people respond well to that.

Franziska Patterson said...

Don't worry Julie. I'll still be 'me' with the people who seem to enjoy me as I am. :)

I also agree that it's hard to 'pretend' to have empathy, or claim you understand something when you don't. And, I think for the most part, I'm also not really talking about situations where it's clear someone is going through something challenging. I think with the obvious, most people respond nicely, and receive reactions from others in a positive way.

Nope, I'm talking about the normal every day stuff, where you're just talking about this and that, and people get offended/bothered by me. The normal stuff. And I realize while it's nice to be me, with some people, if I want to have a good relationship, I need to put a lot of 'me' aside, and try more to be what those people need (which isn't me). Some of those people don't want to be asked a billion questions of why they think/feel a certain way, or discuss things in great detail. They just want to be able to say stuff, and have me listen/accept it/nod my head and try to show some sort of involvement/care/empathy as they do that. That's hard for me. It's not my style, especially since, when I don't understand people I try to dig around quite a bit to figure out a way to understand them. But, it just doesn't work like, and so maybe I need to learn to not understand and to not try to understand and not try to relate, but just let them be, and try to be what they want me to be for them.

Something like that.

Franziska Patterson said...

P.S. I think it's good to stop discussing my desire to change at this point, unless you have more input on 'being green'. Mainly because it's hard for me right now to even consider or think more about the many different ways of how I may have been misunderstood or made people feel bad in one way or another.

I really appreciate all the nice comments, and all of you who seem to like me the way I am. That feels really good. But, I do feel that there are things I have to change. I can be far friendlier than I am at times. I can be more considerate. I can keep my mouth more shut. I don't have to say all the things I think or feel, and when I full know how a certain person functions and what they like/dislike, I don't have to continue to stubbornly be me, but can make an effort to communicate/behave along the lines of what they conceive as nice. I can be me, but I don't have to be all of me all the time with everyone.

Rachel Leslie said...

Wow! I was checking your blog to see if I had missed a new post it had been so long. When I saw the 26 comments, I realized why there have been no more new posts.
Anyway, I compost. I love it!

Angie said...

I have started getting that eco-friendly laundry detergent at Costco. It's the same price as their other liquid detergent. I also don't use as much as it recommends, so I hope I get a few extra loads out of it. I also split my drier sheets in half. Two for the price of one...and half the waste. And you can re-grow your green onions. Once you've chopped them down, put the ends with the roots in a cup of water and watch them grow! I change the water every couple of days...the fresh water helps them grow taller. Those are some of the things I do.

I just learned about a solar oven. It seems really cool. It can cook just about anything on a sunny day...it doesn't even have to be hot outside. www.sunoven.com or do a Google search about them. And check out this woman's blog:
http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/2008/12/all-things-greensolar-cooked-split-pea.html

Franziska Patterson said...

Oh, that's a great idea about the green onions. I didn't know that. We do already use the eco-friendly laundry and dish detergent. I just wonder how friendly they really are. And we don't use drier sheets at all, so...I guess I got that covered as well.

The solar oven sounds cool, too. I hope one day, if we own a house, that we can have a nice 'green' one. But, one step at a time, right?

Isa said...

Yes to green!!! Being green is good and wonderful, and it isn't even that hard to be (at least here in Europa). ;) I remember, J and I wanted to recycle plastic bottles in Provo, and the nearest recycling station / dumpster thingy was in St. George! Haha.

So I applaud you for trying, esp in a country that makes it kind of harder. Although, you do have the benefit of certain eco-friendly foods and clothes being available at a much cheaper price than here.

I also use vinegar (mixed with lemon juice) to clean. Here is a link to some DIY cleaners that I recently found: http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/clean-up-time/10-different-diy-cleaners-to-make-things-sparkle-shine-113040. Some great ideas there!

Serenity Rachel said...

My recent green experiment--make soap from scratch using leftover kitchen grease. I'm still saving up the grease but I have the lye ready. Eventually I want to try making my own lye from ashes from our woodstove. I just think the idea of making something useful--soap--out of 2 waste products--cooking grease and wood ashes--is the epitome of green and so cool! I'm sure I'll blog about it when I finish.

Oh, and with the homemade soap I want to make shampoo bars. After you make the original soap, you hand mill it and add things like coconut oil for conditioning and such. Then we can eliminate all the plastic bottles from shampoo (plus all the nasty ingredients)

You can add some essential oil to the vinegar to help it smell better--I like the citrus smells for cleaning, lemon and orange.

Using cloth grocery bags is a biggie but you probably do that already. That is a huge change for most Americans. I still end up using plastic bags alot even though my goal is not too.

Dryer sheets are NASTY from a health perspective and I don't use them either. Hanging your clothes to dry is a great energy saver that I keep meaning to try. I'm afraid it might be too dusty where I am though.

We rarely have paper towels or paper napkins around either, but you are right. Most Americans go through them like crazy.

I just wrote an article titled "What is a Bidet" and while researching for it read an article from Scientific American

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=earth-talks-bidets
(sorry, don't know how to make it a link)

Anyway, the man interviewed for the article thought that a composting toilet paired with a hands-free bidet would be the ultimate green toilet experience. Did you know it takes 37 gallons of water to make 1 roll of toilet paper. He would do away with the entire TP industry.

And for the record, I wish there were more people in the world that thought and spoke like you, Fran, and that they lived near me!

Henry said...

Recycling out here really isn't that easy yet, and we could still do a lot of things in our own house to improve it (like recycle our bathroom/office trash more). We have to drive our recycling to the fire department, which is a little inconvenient, but since it's on the way to the free way, it's at least no real extra driving, but just a matter of getting out there.

So, how are dryer sheets unhealthy? Just curious. I figured they're just a big waste of money for doing nothing. Plus now they have those balls you can throw in the dryer that you can reuse for years. Seems more efficient. But, we don't have one of those either.

I think making your own soap would be cool, if you liked soap. I usually hate soap bars because soap scum is so hard to clean. It's nice to think that there are so many things you can do though to be self-sufficient as well as nicer to our planet. There are still so many things I can improve. However, I don't know how much I want to get into certain things though. Like making soap would be too much time for me. I'd rather do stuff with my family. I think I want to be green, without it being a huge time consumer.

Oh, and using plastic bags - yeah, I really wish we'd move past that already. I love Aldi because they don't give you plastic bags. Bring your own bags, or buy one. That's how it works. All grocery stores should do that. I'd be cool with it.

Serenity Rachel said...

http://www.nowpublic.com/health/fabric-softener-toxic-baby-beware-dryer-sheets-carcinogens

I can't remember how to add a link to comments. Anyway, pthalates really screw up the endocrine system and there are several different types in most dryer sheets.

I am Laura said...

I wish I still lived in Columbus. We would be friends and you can never offend me. I like a girl who isn't a mold of the same old and I think we would get along just fine. Keep being who you are. As for the green, we all can do better and then when you get better there is more you can always do to be better. I am working on not wasting water and recycling everything even if it takes a second longer to wash the food off of jars.

Henry said...

Ahhh Laura, that's so nice to say. :)Well, maybe we'll run into each other one day, and then it'll be like we've been friends for a long time or something. Actually, Fort Wayne isn't that far away, is it? Come visit your old Columbus cronies (whoever that'd be...) although most of them are probably gone now, too.

It's true though that it seems like there is always more we can do. I think what happens with me is that I make a few changes, and then don't do anything new for a long time. Then suddenly, I wake up and am ready again for some more changes to be implemented. Today I bought stuff to try and make my own liquid hand soap. Actually, I just bought a pack of glycerin soap. Supposedly, just grating it, melting it down and adding water should work to make your own hand soap. Should be greener, and soooo much cheaper. I'm sure after this, I'll probably not try anything again for a few years.