Seriously. I still have to laugh. But, let me explain. Nope, Henry didn't make/give me a card. He did make me breakfast though, and lots of heart-shaped love notes. No, the best card of them all, I received in Church. From my visiting teachee. I should mention that this is a sweet, older lady who struggles financially, and likely got this card from a certain place for free. Anyway, I don't know whether she fully grasped the humor/suggestion of the card. I'd think, to her it was just a card, and she was happy to give me something, for which I love her even more. But, when I looked at the card, I just couldn't help laughing. And I had to laugh each time I saw the card (on the dinning table, where I put it, so I could keep laughing). Here are pictures of the card:
Front
Inside
I didn't get the whole card in the picture, but on the left side there's a picture of a bed, and the card plays music. Ha! Seriously, I love this card.
I know exactly who you are talking about when I read your post. This woman is very sweet, but if she would ever read or find out the way she was described: "poor, uneducated," it would be very hurtful. Also, why does it matter that she is a black lady?
Why don't you leave a name with your comment if you feel like you need to question my posts. That would help me understand your potential criticism in the right way. Maybe racial features are irrelevant, but I'm trying to portray a certain context, and personna in a few words. And if race doesn't matter, then it also doesn't matter if I mention it.
Dear Anonymous: I'm REALLY bothered the more I think. Here is why:
You suggest with your comment that we're attending the same ward/church. So, unless you're a really witty/smart coincidental arrival from somewhere in the internet world, we probably DO go to Church together, and most likely, know each other, at least by name (which is probably why you're snooping around on my blog).
So, for me to think that someone from my ward has issues with what I think/write (regardless of being right), and feels the need to speak up, but doesn't have the courage to tell me directly by putting a name with the words - well, to me that equals speaking behind my back. And there is nothing quite as frustrating than thinking someone is talking behind your back. It doesn't make for wanting to go to Church. No wait. I still want to go to Church. But, I hate having in the back of my head the thought that anyone at Church might potentially be the person who listens to me, and then judges me, without telling me. Not nice.
And that's what bothers me as well. You're judging me! You thought I was judging someone else/being unkind, and then felt the need to pass judgement likewise - without even knowing what my true intentions/feelings/thoughts were. Without probably even knowing me well enough to be able to make good judgment on my written thoughts. Without actually knowing how the lady who you're defending would feel. Really, judging without knowing much at all. I'm sure you meant well for my visiting teachee. And you may even have a point that I could have omitted some of the describing features, or chosen better words. Yet, it's YOU who thinks that being less educated and poor is a negative thing to say about someone. It's not to me. Someone is not better or worse for race, wealth or education in my book. However, wealth, education, and race often correlate with certain behaviors/life-style situations etc.
So, really, it's upsetting to me to think that a) I'm being judged and talked about behind my back, by one of my Church 'siblings, b) I'm also being misunderstood and c) it's all done anonymously - which allows for no real resolution of the situation, and therefore really isn't done with much Christ-like intend at all.
It bothered me until about 3 seconds ago. But now I figure I'll just tell you this: Clearly, you don't know me well. Also, you will not be the one judging me ultimately, and so who cares what you think. Luckily, I know the state of my heart, and am well able to take care of the consequences of my choices, without anyone budding in. I wish you had the guts to let me know who you are, so I can talk to you face to face, and resolve this in a way that I feel would be more Christ-like (my email is frannyval at yahoo.com). Please, if you're visiting my blog again, don't read! Please, don't push me to making my blog private. But, I'm thinking about that as I type, just so I can prevent something lame like this in the future.
And lastly, in case of the rare likelihood that we actually are friends, please stop being my friend. Sorry to all my friends, but there is one kind of friend I can do without - the one who cannot be honest with me, to my face. Really.
I so love that German honesty! Oh wait, is 'German' a race? Maybe I shouldn't have said that. Go Fran! And I hope whoever it was does have the guts to admit it and talk to you about it. Oh, and that card is HILARIOUS! -Your crunchy granola friend (who loves honesty and why I love your conversations so much)from a little red cabin in Utah.
It is a super funny card. Troy got one like that for his birthday a couple of years back. I do think though that if she were to read those comments about herself, her feelings would be hurt. And since I'm pretty sure I know who it is there's a pretty good chance other ward members who read your blog know her too. My dad didn't graduate from high school and I know if someone ever told him he was uneducated I would have a serious problem with that.
Yeah, I could have maybe worded this different, and left out some comments that were more identifying than I meant. But, first of all I don't really expect anyone except 2-3 people from our ward to read this. And, then, even if worded poorly, I didn't mean it in an unkind way. And, once again, I didn't say the person was uneducated, but just not well educated, which are two separate things to me - one being harsher than the other. Also, I wouldn't have mentioned it, if I wouldn't have found it relevant to explaining why the card is funny to me. It just wouldn't be funny if, let's say Kari would have given it to me. That would just have been creepy.
Anyway, no hurt was intended. Maybe next time I'll do this differently, but no matter what, I still think snooping around on my blog, and then living a critical anonymous comment is just as hurtful and judgmental and cowardly on top of it all. Lame, is all I have to say.
That is the funniest and most suggestive card I have ever seen! I seriously can't stop laughing as I'm typing. So much so that Mary is now coming to look at the computer to see. ;o) I'm glad that it brought so much laughter into your life. I'm sure you visiting teachee would be thrilled to know how much the card means to you and how happy it makes you.
Ahhhh Darcie! If there were more Darcie's in the world, I know we'd all be happy. You're too kind.
Anyway, since I can see that what I wrote may potential hurt feelings, and since I had no intentions of potentially hurting someone if by the smallest chance they read my blog, and since I don't want more nosy people to comment on my imperfections, I'll change what I wrote. There. I hope everyone will be happy after that.
That is a great card! And from your visiting teachee...even better! I was totally guessing Henry and then going...why is she posting this on her blog?? But then, I got my ah-ha moment. I'm sure you've heeded it's advice...btw, I don't wanna know...
Um am I reading a different post than everyone else? I can't find any mention of race or education in the original post. And though Fran's description of the woman leads the reader to understand that she is probably poor, as she "struggles financially"; as far as I can read here Fran didn't call her poor, and why should it be offensive if she did. When the Lord explained the value of the Widow's mite, He made it clear that her little gift was more valuable than the large ones made by others precisely because of her poverty. That seems to be all Fran was trying to do here; explain that the giver's personal situation made her gift all the more precious for the the receiver (Fran).
Aliza, I changed the original post, since I dared mention that my sweet visiting teachee is (my exact words) a "sweet, older black lady, not well educated and quite poor". The fact that I mentioned her educational and financial status apparently is a really horrible thing. And while I would never rub this in her face, I don't think there is anything bad about the fact that someone may be black, not had a lot of education, and poor. To me that's not a comment on the worth of that person, or how cool or smart they are. Actually, in this particular setting I just mentioned it because I thought it would make more clear why I may have gotten a card like this to begin with, and why it's funny. But, apparently, as always, I was way off and just being very inconsiderate (even though the said person would never read this, and if ward members wouldn't snoop, she probably wouldn't even have a chance of hearing what I wrote...) oh well. Evil me.
Oh so I was reading a different post then. Well, if you hadn't included black in the original description, I could have thought you were describing my grandma. In any case, none of the things you used to describe the woman are things to be ashamed of, and I would think therefore not things to be offended by. (Would it be inappropriate for me to find it amusing that someone got offended for her?) Anyway I still hold to the sentiment of my first comment.
A gal from Germany, a guy from California, another BYU love story, 1 bunny named Killer, 2 little girls, 3 degrees, 4 bikes, books in every corner, drawings on the wall, music and dancing, vegetable garden on the balcony, chocolate and prosciutto, pitched tents in the living rooms, cloth diapers in the bathroom, laundry piles in the bedroom, unvaccumed stair way, unironed clothes, lots of hugs, a bunch of tears, some heart ache, some fights, some disappointments, much joy, lots of traveling, nightmares and night cuddles, trips to the ER - swearing included, diarrhea disasters in public bathrooms, marathons, bike rides, prayers, faith, hope and hopefully some charity. Happiness.
18 comments:
Well that takes visiting teaching to a whole new level ;). Haha, totally hilarious card, and yet so cute & sweet, seriously. What a nice lady!
I know exactly who you are talking about when I read your post. This woman is very sweet, but if she would ever read or find out the way she was described: "poor, uneducated," it would be very hurtful. Also, why does it matter that she is a black lady?
Wow. I would elect to be flattered and always, ALWAYS, make sure your companion is with you when you visit teach her.
Troy
Dear Anonymous:
Why don't you leave a name with your comment if you feel like you need to question my posts. That would help me understand your potential criticism in the right way. Maybe racial features are irrelevant, but I'm trying to portray a certain context, and personna in a few words. And if race doesn't matter, then it also doesn't matter if I mention it.
Dear Anonymous: I'm REALLY bothered the more I think. Here is why:
You suggest with your comment that we're attending the same ward/church. So, unless you're a really witty/smart coincidental arrival from somewhere in the internet world, we probably DO go to Church together, and most likely, know each other, at least by name (which is probably why you're snooping around on my blog).
So, for me to think that someone from my ward has issues with what I think/write (regardless of being right), and feels the need to speak up, but doesn't have the courage to tell me directly by putting a name with the words - well, to me that equals speaking behind my back. And there is nothing quite as frustrating than thinking someone is talking behind your back. It doesn't make for wanting to go to Church. No wait. I still want to go to Church. But, I hate having in the back of my head the thought that anyone at Church might potentially be the person who listens to me, and then judges me, without telling me. Not nice.
And that's what bothers me as well. You're judging me! You thought I was judging someone else/being unkind, and then felt the need to pass judgement likewise - without even knowing what my true intentions/feelings/thoughts were. Without probably even knowing me well enough to be able to make good judgment on my written thoughts. Without actually knowing how the lady who you're defending would feel. Really, judging without knowing much at all. I'm sure you meant well for my visiting teachee. And you may even have a point that I could have omitted some of the describing features, or chosen better words. Yet, it's YOU who thinks that being less educated and poor is a negative thing to say about someone. It's not to me. Someone is not better or worse for race, wealth or education in my book. However, wealth, education, and race often correlate with certain behaviors/life-style situations etc.
So, really, it's upsetting to me to think that a) I'm being judged and talked about behind my back, by one of my Church 'siblings, b) I'm also being misunderstood and c) it's all done anonymously - which allows for no real resolution of the situation, and therefore really isn't done with much Christ-like intend at all.
It bothered me until about 3 seconds ago. But now I figure I'll just tell you this: Clearly, you don't know me well. Also, you will not be the one judging me ultimately, and so who cares what you think. Luckily, I know the state of my heart, and am well able to take care of the consequences of my choices, without anyone budding in. I wish you had the guts to let me know who you are, so I can talk to you face to face, and resolve this in a way that I feel would be more Christ-like (my email is frannyval at yahoo.com). Please, if you're visiting my blog again, don't read! Please, don't push me to making my blog private. But, I'm thinking about that as I type, just so I can prevent something lame like this in the future.
And lastly, in case of the rare likelihood that we actually are friends, please stop being my friend. Sorry to all my friends, but there is one kind of friend I can do without - the one who cannot be honest with me, to my face. Really.
I so love that German honesty! Oh wait, is 'German' a race? Maybe I shouldn't have said that. Go Fran! And I hope whoever it was does have the guts to admit it and talk to you about it. Oh, and that card is HILARIOUS!
-Your crunchy granola friend (who loves honesty and why I love your conversations so much)from a little red cabin in Utah.
hahaha, how CUTE. :D
I think the card to very sweet, and it would totally make my day, and make me laugh. And what drama... (:
It is a super funny card. Troy got one like that for his birthday a couple of years back. I do think though that if she were to read those comments about herself, her feelings would be hurt. And since I'm pretty sure I know who it is there's a pretty good chance other ward members who read your blog know her too. My dad didn't graduate from high school and I know if someone ever told him he was uneducated I would have a serious problem with that.
Yeah, I could have maybe worded this different, and left out some comments that were more identifying than I meant. But, first of all I don't really expect anyone except 2-3 people from our ward to read this. And, then, even if worded poorly, I didn't mean it in an unkind way. And, once again, I didn't say the person was uneducated, but just not well educated, which are two separate things to me - one being harsher than the other. Also, I wouldn't have mentioned it, if I wouldn't have found it relevant to explaining why the card is funny to me. It just wouldn't be funny if, let's say Kari would have given it to me. That would just have been creepy.
Anyway, no hurt was intended. Maybe next time I'll do this differently, but no matter what, I still think snooping around on my blog, and then living a critical anonymous comment is just as hurtful and judgmental and cowardly on top of it all. Lame, is all I have to say.
That is the funniest and most suggestive card I have ever seen! I seriously can't stop laughing as I'm typing. So much so that Mary is now coming to look at the computer to see. ;o) I'm glad that it brought so much laughter into your life. I'm sure you visiting teachee would be thrilled to know how much the card means to you and how happy it makes you.
Ahhhh Darcie! If there were more Darcie's in the world, I know we'd all be happy. You're too kind.
Anyway, since I can see that what I wrote may potential hurt feelings, and since I had no intentions of potentially hurting someone if by the smallest chance they read my blog, and since I don't want more nosy people to comment on my imperfections, I'll change what I wrote. There. I hope everyone will be happy after that.
That is a great card! And from your visiting teachee...even better! I was totally guessing Henry and then going...why is she posting this on her blog?? But then, I got my ah-ha moment. I'm sure you've heeded it's advice...btw, I don't wanna know...
Um am I reading a different post than everyone else? I can't find any mention of race or education in the original post. And though Fran's description of the woman leads the reader to understand that she is probably poor, as she "struggles financially"; as far as I can read here Fran didn't call her poor, and why should it be offensive if she did. When the Lord explained the value of the Widow's mite, He made it clear that her little gift was more valuable than the large ones made by others precisely because of her poverty. That seems to be all Fran was trying to do here; explain that the giver's personal situation made her gift all the more precious for the the receiver (Fran).
Aliza, I changed the original post, since I dared mention that my sweet visiting teachee is (my exact words) a "sweet, older black lady, not well educated and quite poor". The fact that I mentioned her educational and financial status apparently is a really horrible thing. And while I would never rub this in her face, I don't think there is anything bad about the fact that someone may be black, not had a lot of education, and poor. To me that's not a comment on the worth of that person, or how cool or smart they are. Actually, in this particular setting I just mentioned it because I thought it would make more clear why I may have gotten a card like this to begin with, and why it's funny. But, apparently, as always, I was way off and just being very inconsiderate (even though the said person would never read this, and if ward members wouldn't snoop, she probably wouldn't even have a chance of hearing what I wrote...) oh well. Evil me.
Oh so I was reading a different post then. Well, if you hadn't included black in the original description, I could have thought you were describing my grandma. In any case, none of the things you used to describe the woman are things to be ashamed of, and I would think therefore not things to be offended by. (Would it be inappropriate for me to find it amusing that someone got offended for her?)
Anyway I still hold to the sentiment of my first comment.
That card is hilarious! What makes it more funny are the circumstances in which it was given.
What a story!
Fran, that is super funny. I would keep the card too. And I think you need to blow off that "Anonymous" comment. You obviously had no mal intent.
Post a Comment