Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What Nobody Wants to Talk About...

Well, I don't really know what people do or don't want to talk about. But, I know what I don't want to talk about. Losing a baby. And yet, I do want to talk about it. This is such a strange and heart-wrenching experience for me right now. I feel so heartbroken, and strangely alone in my grief. I know there are so many people who care, and feel for us, and yet, I wonder how validated my pain will be. Quite frankly, I'm surprised myself at how sad I am. Statistically, every woman will experience at least one miscarriage (so they say). So, it shouldn't be that big of a deal, right? The baby was barely a baby. It happens. We can get pregnant again (I think). We've got Sophia.

And yet, I feel such a loss. And then I feel ok. And I feel like talking about it. And then I feel like I want to be alone, and not have anyone ask nosy questions. And then I have to sit down and deal with the facts that are still ahead of me. And then I fall apart again and I just bawl until my head hurts. :( You want to know the facts? Well, let me fill you in. Because, I think this is the stuff people don't talk about. At least I was clueless and ignorant. I am having what is called a 'missed miscarriage'. It means that our little baby has died. The heart stopped beating and growth has ceased. But, my body hasn't caught on to that yet, and has kept up the pregnancy. It means, I haven't actually miscarried the baby yet. I've only found out, based on the ultra sound, that little baby is no longer alive. Now I can sit around, and wait and see when my body is catching on and taking action, or I can opt for a surgery. The surgery is really just a nicer term for abortion. Aren't those great options? The best is that the natural miscarriage may not happen for weeks, like...maybe 4-6 weeks. So, what's a girl who's flying to Germany in a few weeks to do? Who wants a miscarriage, away from their husband, with no health care support? But, who wants to go to the hospital and have a little baby removed?

Even as I'm typing this I feel these are such ugly truths that I just don't want to think about, and it dawns on me that this is a reality a lot of women have had to face. How come I didn't know how ugly this is? How come I have to find out personally now? I'd rather not. I'd rather find out that it was just a mistake, and to find that sweet little heart beat we were so excited for. But, as much as I like to pretend things are ok, I keep getting small and simple reminders that they are not, and that there is more bad stuff ahead. Miscarriages are horrible, and I had no idea. And so here I sit, writing about it. Not because I'm so eager to share these personal details with the world, but because I didn't know how much this would hurt, and because I feel alone, when I know I'm not. I yearn to be connected and have the world grieve with me, and yet I want to be alone in my grief. And somehow I feel better writing this down, and sharing, so people know what it's like. Maybe writing this down makes me feel less alone. I don't know. But here it is, for the world to read. Read this world: Miscarriages SUCK!

Really.

But, I'm glad to have Henry to hug. And Sophia to hug. And chocolate ice cream to eat. And brainless TV to keep my mind numbed. And friends and family who are reaching out in love to us. It's sure a good thing I'm not actually alone. I've definitely felt a sense of peace that I know is nothing but a tender mercy of the Lord, and most likely a result of all the prayers spoken for us. For those things, I'm grateful.

9 comments:

Isa said...

I'm sorry, I really am.

I think it's good you're talking about this. And it's good that you allow yourself to cry and to experience that grief. The say the more intensely you mourn, the sooner you get through an experience of losing someone precious to you.

That's a tough reality you're facing. You have some hard decisions to make. I pray you'll have the strength to get through this. I know of at least one friend who opted for the surgery... and she is glad she did. Because having a miscarriage over the toilet isn't a very nice thing, either. And it's painful, too. (I know this from a few friends). But you'll know what will work best for you (what a strange thing to say in this situation).

I've also heard it's good to have a symbolic ceremony, something small, to say goodbye. Like sending a balloon up in the sky, letting go. Or burying a pair of booties or something else that was meaningful to you in relation to the baby.

Know that you are loved. Many hugs!

Meike said...

Franzi, natürlich weiss ich nicht wie es sich anfühlt ein Kind zu verlieren. Ich habe auch nur von anderen Freundinnen gehört wie es ihnen erging. Und es ist schwer.
Alles was ich sagen kann ist, dass ich für euch bete und dass ich weiss, dass du eine "gute" Entscheidung treffen wirst und dass du einen wirklich tollen Mann hast der Dir zur Seite steht und eine süsse kleine Tochter die mich so verzaurbert, dass ich ihr grösster Fan bin :)

Kari said...

Franny, I was going to call you last night, but I thought it was too late. Now I wish I would have. I cried for you guys too. I am so sorry you have to go through this. I am glad you are talking about it, and I hope it helps you heal. I love you!!

HeidiPie said...

It helps a lot to go lds.org and read a bunch of the articles written on misscarriage.
I think the balloon/bootie idea is a really good one.

TinTin said...

Thanks for sharing your grief. I wish I had something to contribute like comforting words or I-know-what-that-feels-like wisdom but I don't. At all. But I'm praying for you lovely! xoxo

Rachel Leslie said...

I'm not so sure that having a miscarriage today with all the
expectations and excitement involved in pregnancy is so different from loosing a child a hundred years ago. Really, I think it's the closest connection our hearts can make with the women of the past.

This website I'm including is about how Western society doesn't really have a place miscarriages at all. It's something we usually hide or try and forget. She contrasted that with the Japanese tradition. I guess there are temples devoted to fetus'that have died. I just thought it was a fascinating article written by a Jew when she had a miscarriage in Japan:

http://www.peggyorenstein.com/articles/2002_mourning_miscarriage.html

I hope the surgery goes alright.

Swidel said...

Hey Du,

es tut mir so leid, was Dir / Euch da passiert. Ich habe keine Ahnung von alldem.
Ich möchte nur sagen, ich denke an Dich, es hat mich so betroffen gemacht, dass ich weinen mußte, nun bete ich für Dich und hoffe, die Trauer wird Dich schneller als erwartet wieder loslassen...

Ich glaube es ist gut, über die Dinge zu sprechen. Zumindest beten nun noch einige Menschen mehr für Euch!

Maren said...

Oh Fran. What a gift you have with your words and feelings. You are such a treasure, I'm sorry you have to go through this grief right now.

Deanna said...

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, Franzi. Unfortunately, I have more experience that I would like in dealing with these and similar issues for myself and my sisters and other close friends. It is always hard. My experiences have certainly taught me what an absolute miracle conception and birth are and not to take them for granted.

I hope that talking about it helps you and helps you to not feel so alone. I know it has definitely helped me in my experiences to talk to others who had similar losses and trials. I think that amid all the hardship and loss, one good thing these experiences bring to us is compassion and charity for others who go through similar losses.

Please know I'm thinking about you and praying for you!!

Much Love,
D