Twenty years ago today, Germany made history - this time in a good way. It was the day that the Berlin Wall came down, and Germans from the East were finally able to walk past a line that previously may have cost them their lives if they attempted to cross it. As a German, I feel that this is a special day to remember, and it's a moment of history I'm very grateful for. My memories are a little weak of that day, since I was only 12 years old. But, I remember watching on TV how exciting everyone was when the wall came down, and people from the East could just cross over to the West. There were tears, there was excitement, there was happiness, and cheers, and I think a good portion of 'I can't believe this is really happening' on peoples faces. What an amazing day. I faintly remember how shortly before the wall fell, there was a surge in Eastern Germans trying to get out of East Germany, even if it cost them their lives. There was such a strong desire for freedom that people were willing to do whatever it took.
To me this is a great example of what can happen when a people are united in what they want, and are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to change things. I don't think Berlin Wall just came down due to mere politics (or Ronald Reagan for that matter). There was a change in the hearts of the people of East Germany, and when they took action, a weakened political system could no longer hold them down. This is also why I don't think that we can or ought to force 'freedom' on anyone. It doesn't work. It has to come as a result of people wanting it badly enough. Otherwise, a true change cannot be made.
Anyway, I don't think I'm able to write anything that does this day justice. I'm just grateful for the changes that took place in my home country that day. Those changes also came with a price. Rebuilding the East has been a costly endeavor for Germany. There have been hard times economically, and hardships for people in the East who had to adjust to a whole new life style. Yet, I'm glad for every penny this has cost us, and for every hardship that came with this change. Because not having that wall separating a nation is what everyone wanted, what everyone was willing to make sacrifices for, and what I think has made us a better, stronger people. At the end of the day, we were and are all Germans, and there is no place for any division. To me, it was and is worth all the sacrifices.
I think anyone who claims to be my friend, ought to read the news today and read a little more about this special day in my country's history. (If you don't read anything it's ok, too and you can still be my friend). Here are some links for your convenience:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/world/europe/10germany.html?_r=1&ref=global-home
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/world/europe/09berlin.html?ref=global-home
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/world/europe/09iht-reunif.html?ref=europe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I had wanted to talk to you about your experiences with this back when you were a bit closer, but it always slipped my mind.
I remember watching the wall fall on TV at my grandparent's house that evening. I realized it was important at the time, but I didn't realize how important it was. I really wish I had been able to recognize the significance of it back then.
I agree that freedom should not be forced upon any country. The people will eventually get there, but it's not a process you can rush. But look at all the countries in recent years in eastern Europe and South America who have come around. The tide turns - but slowly.
I used to have a piece of the wall on my fridge--Quinn was there then and brought a bunch of pieces back. Somehow it has been lost through all the moves and I'm a bit sad about that.
I totally agree with your post. I think we can look back in history -the American Revolution, the fall of Communism - at any event where a people rose up and demanded basic freedoms and see that our course in Iraq is doomed to fail. Political pressure from the west, meaning the US and its European allies, had a huge role to play in the defeat of communism. However, all of that pressure would have been for nought if the people of those nations hadn't been ready to step and grab the opportunity. I hope that our efforts in the middle east are successful, not that anybody has cared to define what "success" will entail, but it's ridculous of America to think that she can put forces on the ground and alter thousands of years of culture in an ancient nation. It's the height of pride and hubris in my mind. Despite our military might, freedom and democracy will not come to the middle east until the Iraqis, the Iranians, or the Afghanis, demand it. And we would be wise to not involve ourselves in that matter unless our own nation is in peril. Sorry to rant but it's amazing how we are so slow to learn the lessons of history.
I remember that day. When my mom saw what was going on on the news, she popped in a videotape to record it. We talked that night about the special, important thing that had just happened. I was eight.
Thanks for reminding me.
Reni, I had a piece of the wall, too that I no longer have. It's kind of sad, but oh well. In the end it doesn't matter I figure.
Troy, no worries about the 'rant'. This is the place to spout opinions, right? But, I totally agree with you. Politics can only go so far. In the end, what makes or breaks anything are people themselves. If a people do not have a certain mindset, nothing will really work until people change their minds. I guess, no matter what, agency prevails - yo can't force anything, not even a good thing.
Julie, you were 8? Am I really almost 4 years older than you?? Man, I'm old.
Happy Germany Day!
Post a Comment