Sunday, June 28, 2009

Patriotismus, Militarismus und schlechte Autofahrer

Hier ist er nun - der langerwartete (seit ein paar Tagen) erste deutsche Blogeintrag. Heute hatten wir im Gottesdienst schon unsere ersten patriotischen Lieder gesungen, und alle Ansprachen waren ueber patriotische Themen (The Cost of Freedom, How to retain our Legacy und an das erste Thema kann ich mich nicht mehr erinnern, war aber auch patriotisch). Fuer mich ist der ganze patriotische Kram eher schwer zu handhaben, und so fiel mir nach dem Gottesdienst ein, dass ich ja schon vor ein paar Tagen ueber dieses Thema schreiben wollte. Und nun nehm ich mir mal schnell die Zeit, dazu ein paar Sachen zu sagen.

Vor 2 Wochen waren wir bei Henry's Eltern in Virginia zu Besuch, und hatten dabei die Gelegenheit ein "Reenactment" ueber eine Rede von einem wichtigen Revolutionskaempfer (Patrick Henry) anzuschauen. Dieses 'Reenactment' (keine Ahnung wie wir das auf Deutsch nennen) war wirklich interessant. Was nicht so interessant war, war der ganze patriotische Kram bevor die Show losging. Erstmal wurden lauter Militaerlieder auf der Orgel gespielt zu denen alle mitsingen durften, und es auch taten. Dann kam "God Bless America" und die Nationalhymne, und wir sollten fuer beide Lieder aufstehen. Habe ich natuerlich nicht gemacht, und mich lediglich fuer die Nationalhymne erhoben. Inzwischen lebe ich nun schon fast 8 Jahre in den USA, und Patriotismus wie man ihn hier findet ist immer noch schwer fuer mich zu verdauen. Inzwischen habe ich ja schon Spass an gewissen Sachen. Ich finde es voellig ok, und mach es auch gern, an Aktivitaeten und Feierlichkeiten fuer den 4. Juli teilzunehmen. Das finde ich alles angebracht. Was ich nicht angebracht finde, und auch gar nicht verstehen kann, ist all der Patriotismus in der Kirche. Soweit ich alles richtig verstanden habe, sollte Jesus Christus der Mittelpunkt des Gottesdienstes sein. Da sind manche Priestertumsfuehrer sogar so rigeros, dass zum Beispiel manche Lieder, die sich zwar um Christus drehen aber nicht aus dem Gesangbuch sind, im Gottesdienst nicht gesungen werden duerfen. Aber niemand scheint ein Problem zu haben, wenn wir 3 Ansprachen haben, die Christus kaum oder gar nicht erwaehnen, und wir Lieder singen, die eigentlich auch nichts direkt mit dem Evangelium oder Christus zu tun haben. Das stoert mich echt. Und wieso gibt es ueberhaupt nur patriotische Lieder im Englischsprachigen Gesangbuch. Wenn Patriotismus so wichtig ist, sollten dann nicht alle Laender patriotische Lieder in ihren Gesangsbuechern haben? Also, ich kann das einfach alles nicht ab, und es geht mir immer total auf die Nerven, dass das so gehandhabt wird. Und dann kommt dazu natuerlich noch der Inhalt von den Ansprachen oder Gebeten etc.

Damit waeren wir dann beim Militarismus. Bin ich die einzige, die das Gefuehl hat, dass das Militar in diesem Land verherrlicht wird? Ich finde das problematisch und beaengstigent. Natuerlich verstehe ich, dass das was Soldaten im Krieg leisten und ertragen, gravierend und schwer ist, vielleicht gradezu traumatisch. Aber weil ich das verstehe, verstehe ich nicht was daran so glamouroes ist. Es ist traurig, das junge Leute so etwas erleben muessen, und oft wenn es vielleicht nicht mal noetig ist. Es ist noch grausamer, dass sie wo kaempfen, und das Leben eines anderen Landes dramatisch veraendern und beinflussen, und niemand das ueberhaupt mal erwaehnt. Ich hoere staendig Gebete in der Kirche fuer 'unsere Soldaten'. Ich habe noch niemanden gehoert, der auch mal fuer die andere Seite gebetet hat. Da sind Menschen, deren ganzes Land zerstoert wird, die Familienmitgliedern verlieren, und die fuer Jahrzehnte die Konsequenzen des Kriegs spueren werden, mehr als irgendeiner der amerikanischen Soldaten, und trotz allem scheint niemand es fuer noetig zu halten, mal fuer diese Menschen zu beten. Nope, statt dessen denken wir an unsere Soldaten, und das Gott Amerika segnen soll. Der Rest der Welt ist egal - wir wissen ja eh nicht wo das ist, oder was da genau los ist. Mir stehen da echt immer die Haare zu Berge. Mir stehen auch die Haare zu Berge, wenn ich sehe mit was fuer Begeisterung die Leute diese Militaerlieder sangen bei diesem Reenactment. Ist es etwa schoen ein Soldat zu sein und in den Krieg zu ziehen? Kann ja sein, dass ich das echt alles falsch verstehe, und es eigentlich echt Spass macht. Aber wenn es Spass macht, dann muessen mir die Soldaten ja auch nicht leid tun, oder?

Naja, ich habe noch mehr Gedanken zu dem Thema. Aber ich will mich jetzt erstmal auf's Ohr hauen. Zum Thema 'Schlechte Autofahrer' habe ich nur eine Sache zu sagen. Es mag ja sein, dass ich in vielen Dinge in Bezug auf die USA die Dinge nicht wirklich objektiv sehe. Und sicher urteile ich nicht fair in vielen Sachen, wo ich meine das sie in Deutschland besser sind. Aber von einer Sache bin ich ueberzeugt: Amerikaner koenne nicht vernuenftig autofahren. Ich krieg wirklich staendig die Krise. Die Leute passen nicht auf, benutzen ihre Blinker nicht, lassen keine vernuenftigen Abstaenden, wissen nicht wie man einfaedelt, in schlechtem Wetter faehrt, auf die Autobahn rauf/runter faehrt, sie traeumen vor sich hin und blocken Spuren, etc. etc. etc. Es ist furchtbar. Ich dachte eine zeitlang das es nur in Utah so ist. Aber inzwischen bin ich in mehr als 30 US-Bundesstaaten gefahren...mit dem gleichen Ergebnis. Die Leute koennen hier einfach nicht vernuenftig fahren, und ich bin mir 100 Prozent sicher, dass wir in Deutschland besser fahren. Eigentlich wollte ich mich auch noch ausfuehrlich ueber die Polizei hier mit ihren Speedingtickets beschweren, aber das muss auch warten.

16 comments:

KroekieMonsters said...

Fran,
To pray for our own is not an implied prayer that God curse anybody else (do you expect God to interpret your prayers for Sophia as you praying that he bless her, or do you really mean to call down his curse on someone else's children?) I know the idea is not original to you, so I wont hold it against you :) I just have to speak out when I see some form of the misinterpretation of the prayer that "God bless America" is something other than a petition that God bless the country and her people. There isn't a limit to his blessings and he doesn't have to harm or even neglect another country in order to bless the US.

Franziska Patterson said...

First of all, no one has suggested that a request for blessing on a specific group means curses for everyone else.
Also, I wouldn't mind people asking/praying for God to bless America. I don't see a problem with that, and as you mentioned, we pray for certain things and don't always include the whole wide world in it. I also realize that a lot of people may not mean with that request that the rest of the world doesn't matter. And clearly, God will bless whoever deserves it, no matter what people request (so, of course he'd bless other nations whether Americans ask for it or not).
What I'm talking about though is this request often coming with a certain arrogance and lack of thought for anyone else or even thought of whether this request is justified (as in 'have I done my part to be deserve these blessings/are we as a nation doing what we ought to deserve these blessings?). I even dare say that in many instances it has become an empty phrase that's used for nothing else but allowing yourself to feel prideful without real action behind it.
And, even with your argument, which of course I understand, I have to say that I rarely pray exclusively. I do pray for my family/friends specifically. But, I also pray more broadly for anyone in need. I pray constantly that God will inspire and bless political leaders all over the world, that they may be more righteous and make the best possible decisions for their nations. I never make those requests only for Germany or for the US. Why would I want that only for myself?

However, what I actually complained about was how people pray for soldiers. I don't care people saying 'God bless America'. I don't see what the point is of this phrase, but I'm fine with it and I merely mentioned that I didn't see the need to stand up just because someone asked me to stand for a song that has to do with America. I don't care how much it means to others. To me standing up has a lot of meaning and expresses a lot of things, and therefore I will not stand up for something just because some person thinks I should. Well, back to the actual concern I had with prayers. What bothers me is how people pray for soldiers. How can you pray for someone who's fighting a war, and not once mention those who are affected by the soldier's actions?????? That's plain and simple BEYOND me and I find it more than self-centered and ignorant. I actually makes me mad, and I barely say amen to those prayers. If my child was fighting someone, I would constantly pray for my child, but not in a million years without praying for those people my child has to fight/deal with/help or whatever you want to call it. And thus, it amazes me how much people seem to care about their country and their soldiers, and how rarely I hear a thought or concern for anyone beyond their own borders. Granted, sheer carelessness about the rest of the world doesn't mean you wish them anything bad. It just means you don't care.

Isa said...

Ah Fran, wie (fast) immer bin ich voll und ganz deiner Meinung. Ich kann mich erinnern als der Krieg im Irak ausgebrochen ist, und ich sass in meiner Studentenwohnung in Provo und hab Generalkonferenz geguckt. Und ich weiss noch, dass im Endgebet unter Tränen gesagt wurde, bitte segne unsere Soldaten. Und ich weiss noch, wie ich von Gefühlen der Wut und absolutem Ärger überwältigt wurde, weil ich das einfach so unangemessen fand. Generalkonferenz ist ja schliesslich nicht für Amerikaner, sondern für die ganze Welt. Die Kirche ist eine Weltkirche, das Evangelium ist auch für die "bösen Sünder" im Irak. Ein paar Iraker haben vielleicht sogar zugeshaut. Ich käme nie auf den Gedanken, selbst inmitten eines Krieges, in dem mein eigenes Land verwickelt ist, für nur die Soldaten meines Landes zu beten. Ich muss zugeben, für Soldaten bete ich überhaupt nie. Die Idee ist mir ehrich gesagt nie gekommen. Im Bosnienkrieg habe ich für die Menschen gebetet in Bosnien. Ich war 7 und ich hab fürchterlich geweint für all die bosnischen Kinder und die hilflosen Menschen dort. Das weiss ich noch. Dass man diejenigen segnen muss, die mit Waffen einhergehen und ein anderes Land zerstören, selbst für einen sogenannten guten Zweck, die Idee ist mir fremd. Vor allem wenn diese Soldaten Berufssoldaten sind und ihr Schicksal selber wählen.

Vielleicht liegt der Militärwahn in Amerika einfach daran, dass Amerikaner wirklich meinen, im Recht zu sein, und mehr noch, von Gott gesegnet. Im Falle von Irak meinen sie wirklich, es sei ihr gottgegebenes Recht da einzumarschieren und das Land zu ändern, so wie es ihnen gefällt. In dem Sinne ist ein Beten für Soldaten vielleicht weniger ein Beten für nur die eigene Macht, aber mehr ein Beten dafür, dass Gott gewinnen möge. Das ist natürlich nicht nur unglaublich ignorant, sondern schlichtweg wahn-sinnig.

Jetzt kann wieder einer herkommen und sagen: Ihr Deutschen habt ja eh eure Problem mit Patriotismus. Patriotismus ist gott-gegeben und gut. Dazu sage ich Jein. Patriotismus ist gut, wenn es um die Liebe zum eigenen Land geht. Natürlich darf man sein eigenes Land und seine eigenen Leute lieben. Sollte es sogar. Aber, und hier ist das Problem in Amerika, man sollte sein eigenes Land nicht vergöttern. Wenn das eigene Land heiliger ist als die Nächstenliebe zu anderen, dann ist Patriotismus ein Wahn geworden. Und aus diesem Grund ist der amerikanische Patriotismus so schwer für aussensehende zu verdauen.

In Finnland lieben die Menschen ihr Land auch. Sin stolz auf gewonnene Kriege gegen Russland, haben eine besondere Beziehung zu ihrer Flagge. Und ab und zu in einem Gebet oder Zeugnis, kommt auch mal ein Danke für das schöne Finnland vor. Es gibt sogar patriotische Lieder im finnischen Gesangbuch. Aber hier in Finnland bin ich nicht überwältigt von Gefühlen der Wut. Warum? Ganz einfach, weil der finnische Patriotismus nicht arrogant ist. Weil hier die Rede davon ist, dass Finnland schön ist, nicht dass es das Beste ist, oder gar verheissen. Der Unterschied liegt wohl in dem Gebrauch von Superlativen. Denn dass in den Zeilen God Bless America mehr als nur Liebe zum eigenen Land bekannt wird, ist soch ziemlich eindeutig(egal was hier früher gesagt wurde). God Bless America heisst vor allem Gott segne Amerika, denn Amerika ist das verheissene Land, das Land im Recht, das Land Gottes. Es wäre alles ertragbar,w enn ab und zu mal jemand beten würde: God bless the earth, God bless the children in the world, God bless all the nations that are God's footstool. Aber die Tatsache, dass "God Bless America" immer in sich alleinsteht, sagt glaube ich viel darüber aus wie Amerikaner über sich selbst fühlen. Sie sind ja nunmal die Gesegneten der Welt, gell?

Meike said...

Ich glaube das mit den schlechten Autofahrern in Amerika kommt vor allem daher, dass sie das Autofahren nicht wirklich lernen.
Wenn man überlegt was da schon für teenager auf der Strasse unterwegs sind und wieviele Fahrstunden sie tatsächlich hatten und was sie von der Theorie noch wissen, dann würde mir ganz Angst und Bange sein in Amerika Auto zu fahren.

Zum Patriotismus kann ich nur soviel sagen, dass ich es sehr unangebracht fand, dass bei der Generalkonferenz fürs Militär extra Plätze reserviert sind, sie extra Tickets bekommen und in ihrer Uniform auftauchen. Uniform hat in der Kirche nichts zu suchen. Weder die eines Soldaten, noch die eines Feuerwehrmannes oder die "Uniform" eines Arztes.

Franziska Patterson said...

Das ist ja interessant zu hoeren Isa, dass in es patriotische Lieder im finnischen Gesangbuch gibt. Dann sollte ich mich vielleicht ueber den Punkt wirklich nicht mehr aufregen. Ich fand es auch interessant zu hoeren, dass sogar mal im Gebet Dank etc. fuer Finnland erwaehnt wird. Haette ich nicht gedacht.

Ich denke, als Deutsche sind wir schon ein bischen vorbelastet, aber wie du erwaehnt hast, sind wir nicht die Einzigen, die sich am Mass des Patriotismus hier stoeren.

Meike, das wusste ich nicht, das fuer das Militaer Plaetze usw. reserviert werden. Finde ich auch komisch und unangebracht. Ich kann verstehen, dass man manchmal nicht Zeit hat sich umzuziehen, oder 'on call' ist, und in seiner Dienstkleidung gehen muss, weil man nicht weiss, wann man zur Arbeit davon rennen muss. Ich finde es auch ok, zu helfen wo man kann, dass grade die Gruppen, die oft an Sonntagen etc. arbeiten muesse, vielleicht eine Chance haben, Generalkonferenz zu hoeren/sehen. Aber, wie du erwaehnst, scheint eine Extrawurst fuer's Militaer irgendwie unangebracht. Wieso kriegen die 'ne Extrawurst? Was macht sie so besonders? Und ich glaube, da haben wir wieder das Problem des glorifizierten Militarismus.

Sarah and Troy said...

I've had to rely on Google Translator, which is pretty crappy, to follow this discussion but I think I've gotten the idea and I want to comment on just one aspect of it. Why there is alot of patriotism in the church. I think it's because the founding of this country and the restoration of the gospel cannot be separated. Even the scriptures contain a number of references to the divine raising up of this nation which was then in the future. Modern-day prophets have all commented on the hand of God in forming this country and on its divine mission. At the time the USA was formed the liberties and freedoms here were an experiment - they had not been tried in modern times to the extent that we were trying them. Liberty and freedom, concepts that have always been very deeply important to Americans are perfectly aligned with the agency that Heavenly Father wants all of his children to enjoy. So I think there's alot of patriotism in the church because we see the founding and protection of this country as pivotal to God's purposes on earth. Additionally, there are remarks from modern-day prophets concerning troubles that will befall the US and its constitution and how this people (meaning the Saints) will have to be those who preserve liberty and the principles that the US were founded on. I think many of us take seriously the idea that members of God's kingdom will have to be the watchmen of freedom in the last days. So that's my take on it. I know that we can come across as arrogant even though I think you're be a litte presumptious to assume that you understand somebody's attitude or thoughts as they are praying.

Troy

Isa said...

I think we are just talking about a general difference in attitude, which just comes with being a big, nobody said the attitude Americans have are a bad thing. And I don't think anybody is saying that we know what others are thinking while they are praying.

I think Fran's main point was the glorification of the military and mine was making an idol out of your own country, that's just something we Germans can't understand at all. But we understand that it's something that is OUR issue, not the issue of the Americans, which is why this post was in German in the first place. Nobody meant to offend anybody. Please let us Germans rant a little about cultural things we can't relate to. :)

In either case, you make a good point, Troy. The foundation of the USA is intertwined with the founding of the Church. I just feel that 200 years later, it's time to be a little more mindful of the fact that the church is now an international church. More members live outside the US now than inside. So it's a little inappropriate, in my humble opinion, to glorify the US military at a worldwide church conference. That's all.

Isa said...

Sorry, half of my first paragraph got cut out, and now it doesn't make sense anymore. I was just saying that the US attitude is different than other countries, and that it is a natural outgrowth of being such a big and powerful player in the world. Nobody is judging, just trying to come to terms with the fact that things in the US are different.

Franziska Patterson said...

Well, I think you have a point Troy, and I don't even have an issue with that at all. I still think Sacrament meeting should be about Christ. Also, while the founding of the Church and the establishment of the US are definitely related, many other things outside of the US play into the Church development and restoration as well. God has been involved in many ways in many places to bring to pass his work and to create the freedoms necessary to enjoy and live the gospel in its fullness. Just because God had a hand in the founding of America, doesn't mean he didn't have a hand in other places as well. I think the US has a unique history, and probably a unique purpose. But who's to say that other places don't have that as well. We don't know all things God has in store. I don't object to patriotism, mind you though. I just think people take it to extremes, and I don't see why it needs to be addressed in the narrow concepts as we find it in the Church. I just don't understand it. Maybe I never will. But that just how it is.

And, as Isa pointed out, I am not assuming that I know what people are thinking when they pray. I just go by what I hear. And what I hear is prayers for soldiers, and never for those affected by the soldiers and their work. I fully realize that I don't know what people think and feel beyond what they say. I'm just saying that I find it shocking that people do not express concern for those affected most by the war their soldiers fight. And, I have mentioned that, of course, there may be a lot of expressed concern, and I just have never heard it.

Sarah and Troy said...

Isa,

I didn't claim to be offended. I wasn't in fact. I understand there's a big world out there and American attitudes are baffling to many. I lived in Korea for two years and didn't understand alot of what I saw there. Second, rant all you want but this is a blog discussion so don't be surprised if others offer up a differing viewpoint.

I purposely stayed away from the talk of militarism in this discussion because I understand your frustrations even if I don't agree with every point you make.

Fran, I love reading about the reformation as much as the restoration. God couldn't create the US from scratch, he had to pick and choose from his children living in England, Germany, Holland, all over the place. I didn't mention those aspects of the founding of America and the restoration in my comment because I chose to focus on the USA. I believe the Ensign once published a very good article on people of other nationalities who were pivotal to the reformation which, of course was critical for the restoration.

I think an interesting topic would be on how so much of what we call "Mormon Culture" is merely Mormonism viewed through 21st century American spectacles. I found much of the Mormon Culture to be absent in Korea - potluck dinners, Pioneer Day celebrations, the strange obsession with Jell-O, etc. It was refreshing to see the church stripped of so much of the fluff that accompanies Mormonism in the US.

Isa said...

Troy, I thought you were offended since you started to throw around words like 'presumptuous', which offended me. But I'm sure neither meant to offend the other. :)

And I agree, most of the fluff is a phenomenon particular to America or Utah only. Some of that culture has informed Church policy, though, but in a good way.

Anyway, I'll drop out of this discussion now because I don't feel like defending my view points on American patriotism right now; they just are what they are...

Love and peace,
Isa

Franziska Patterson said...

Troy, I'm glad you're sharing your views. It may sound odd, but I need that. I personally greatly benefit from having people share their views on the things that occupy my mind. Unfortunately, a lot of things that occupy my are of cultural nature relating to my personal struggles to adjust to certain things. A lot of people don't feel comfortable to discuss those things because they are often emotionally charged. And so often times I'm stranded with my own views that don't get challenged or enlarged because people get offended or hurt. I love that you are not afraid to address the 'sensitive' issues and that you dared to read my German rantings. I'm glad you share your views. I may not always like it, or agree, but it actually does change my perspectives and my mind set in the long run as I ponder all the different ideas people share. Thanks.

Now, with that said, on to the ranting. Just kidding. I think my major gripe IS the mormon culture stuff. I think one thing that is so beautiful and unique about the gospel is that it's the same everywhere. Temple ordinances, sacrament prayers, church structure etc. are basically the same wherever you go. I love that because it shows how the gospel is truly the same for everyone, and applies to all. And it is because of that universal nature of the gospel that it bothers me when we bring aspects that are highly cultural and only somewhat directly tied to important gospel principles into our Church meetings. I fully agree with you that the founding of the USA is connected to the Church. I also fully agree that concepts of freedom/liberty etc. are fundamental in the gospel. But, I just don't find it appropriate to turn a Sacrament meeting into a patriotic meeting. I just don't think it belongs. That doesn't mean that I don't think culture belongs into Church. I think ward socials and activities are a great way to celebrate the culture of each nation. I even think it's not that bad if we bring a little of cultural events with us to Church. Maybe it could be addressed in Relief Society/Elder's Quorum, or in one talk only. But, once again, I think Sacrament should be the place where our focus is solely and completely on the Savior, and the saving principles of the gospel. We're there to whorship God. I think sacrament meetings should be a place free of cultural bias as far as possible, and full of the doctrines and truths that unite all members. To add to this idea, I also am not a big fan of 'mother's day talks' or 'father's day talks' etc. Not because I don't believe in the importance of parents and their crucial role in the plan of salvation, but because somehow all these things always turn into nice ramblings about nice things that have very little gospel truths behind them, and because they rarely seem to focus on Christ.

I do remember the article in the Ensign about the reformation etc. It was a great article. Clearly, I think the gospel and Heavenly Father's involvement in bringing to pass his work is far broader than anything we have discussed or even know about. He loves all his children, and is involved in all the world. I'm sure most members are equally aware of that. I just think as we fluff our feathers in pride, it may also be wise at times to acknowledge all the things and all the events and all the people who have contributed, especially if we're in Church which should be a place all feel included. I just never feel very included when people go off on how proud they are to be American, and how God should bless America etc. I always think 'I'm not American. I'm German, and I love it, and I think God already blessed America a ton. Why not bless Africa. They seem to have a lot of problems...'.

I don't know if that makes sense...I find it hard to express properly what I'm thinking. But, I think you get the idea.

Anonymous said...

How do I get so behind so fast. I want to hop in but I have to read at least everyone's comments. Give me at least a couple of days and I'll join the discussion.

Henry

KroekieMonsters said...

Might I start with an apology, Fran did not suggest that "God bless America" was specifically a curse on anybody else. I hoped to express that in responding to her post, I was also responding to other sentiments that seemed to me to be on same train of thought. ("I know the idea is not original to you...")
"God bless America" comes from a prayer written and set to music by Irving Berlin, in which we also pray that He "stand beside her [ie America], and guide her.” “God bless America” is actually a prayer for his help so that we can be the best nation he can make of us (as opposed to being a reminder to God that he’s supposed to support whatever we want to do).
As I’ve been reading the comments to this blog, it seems to me that the biggest issue the European readers seem to have with the prayers that are being discussed, is that we aren’t Enos-like enough. After we pray for our brethren, we don’t think to pray for those who are counted as our enemies, but are in fact also our brethren – as the Lamanites were to the Nephites.
You know I’ve noticed before that Tobi (the German in our marriage) prays more frequently for a lot more people we know of, while this Ami tends to keep her prayers for a tighter circle of people we actually know. ) I don’t just pray for Americans, I mean I’ve prayed for Germans, but I can’t say I’ve ever prayed for Iraqis – but then I’ve never been the person who offered the prayer for our soldiers in Iraq, mostly because the whole idea of war troubles me. But I do say amen to the prayers offered for them, because the prayer of my heart for American soldiers is that my cousins, and the brothers and husbands of my in-laws and friends will come home And that the Lord might preserve the souls of those soldiers which are at risk of destruction because of their participation in the carnage of war and the temptations they face to seek distraction from the ugly realities of war in vulgar pass-times.
Now as to the topic of American Patriotism – You may find some relief from the nausea it causes you, if you consider it in this light: Most of American Patriotism is in fact a recognition of how well the Lord has blessed us. When we cease to recognize his blessing in our prosperity, we are not only ungrateful, we become worshipers of ourselves, assuming we are the cause of our success. That said, I and my fellow Americans do have a responsibility to head that guidance that we pray for (we need to keep his commandments and not get cocky enough to think that we could command him - by assuming that whatever we do, he will bless it).

Franziska Patterson said...

Thanks for your clarifications Aliza. I should look up the words for the song to get more insight on that. I think you have some very good points, and I'm sure a lot of people are not as arrogant as some/many Europeans may think. I'm sure a lot of usage of the phrase 'God Bless America' is indeed just a request for blessings and that no one means to exclude others from that.

I don't know though how much I agree with you on the patriotism idea. While I do agree that many people probably feel patriotic because they think this nation (the USA) has been greatly blessed and is a wonderful country, I do feel nauseated still because I think a lot of that patriotism HAS turned into a) arrogance and b)the assumption that it's a great country because of what people have done with it and/or because it's 'the promised land'. I don't like that. I think loving your country because it's home and because it has many wonderful things to offer, and because you feel grateful for your many blessings is one thing (a thing I feel comfortable with). Feeling like you live in THE GREATEST NATION ever...well, that's another thing. Feeling like what you have in your country is better than anything else is also a problem. And often times, that's the message I get with a lot of patriotism. Of course, I'll freely admit that I may be very wrong in how I perceive those things. I acknowledge that, along with my own cultural bias that probably makes it hard for me to see things in the right light. But I perceive it sort of like this: Imagine you're playing a game with a bunch of people. It's partly luck and partly strategy. Then someone wins and it's not you. The person who won also happened to get a few tips for winning from the creator of the game. Now, after the game the winner can behave in two ways. He can be gracious about winning, be glad that he won, be grateful for the help he got and acknowledge that there was some luck involved, but also hard work (strategy) and just silently feel happy and rejoice OR he can gloat, run around and say how proud he is that he won, and keep going off on how it was his superior strategies along with being meant to win anyway by the creator of the game and get deeply hurt if someone disagree with him on his victory being as glorious as he feels it is.

Ok, maybe this isn't the perfect example, but I think a lot of the American patriotism feels like incessant gloating to the rest of the world. Sure it's a great nation, sure God has blessed it, sure God was involved in its creation, sure it's very unique in its history and establishment, sure it has many great and wonderful things to offer. So? Why do you have to rub it into everyone's face all the time with stickers, flags, T-shirts, and songs at every corner and opportunity? I think that's what's hard to understand and swallow for many Europeans. Loving your country and being appreciative are easy to understand. Being so 'in your face' about it - not so much. Ok, I'll also admit that I can't relate to the amount of emotion that's attached to a lot of patriotism. I love Germany. I think it's a cool country. But honestly, if someone would burn a German flag in front of me, I wouldn't care. It's just fabric. And the ideals the German flag may stand for don't get destroyed just because a flag goes up in flames, nor does my heart go up in flames because someone else doesn't think Germany is great. Do that here, and someone may just beat the crap out of you over something like that.

Vera said...

Found your blog today from fmh - and I agree 1000 %.
Vera aus Deutschland