Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bad Hair Life

So, today I went and got a hair cut. I went to this fancyshmancy spa/hair dresser place with the fancyshmancy prices hoping that this place would be the one where I'd finally be able to get a cool hair cut. Imagine the disappointment when I put my glasses on and beheld myself in the mirror. Why is it that each time I get a hair cut I feel like I look worse than before?

While I was driving home I was getting really depressed. And no, this is not a call for sympathy or for telling me that I don't look as hideous as I think I may. But really, I've never felt very confident about my looks and while I was pondering my hair, I just realized what a wreck my hair is, and though it's gotten better over the years, apparently there is no hair dresser out there who's capable of doing something nice with it. Although, I think I'm inclined to just think that most hair dressers here are losers. Period. I don't think they listen. And they don't try to apply imagination and creativity to their job. Urgh, it's so frustrating to me to pay money for something I hate.

Anyway, here are some pictures for you to enjoy of hair wrecks from the past. Looking at them I truly feel like the ugly duckling.

Here I am, all dressed up, with fancy bangs. I must have been 7 or 8 maybe?








What'd you reckon? Should I try one of those hair-cuts again? I think I was 10 or so, the age where you can pass as a boy or girl, or at least I tried to.











Here I'm 12-13 years old. Obviously I haven't learned my lesson.











Whaddayaknow? 6 years later, and I still haven't caught on. Ok, this time it was a language barrier I think. This was my first time in the USA. Geeze, they must have thought every German is ugly...











Well, I didn't have any pictures truly demonstrating the awful state of my hair on my mission. This was the best I could do and this is one of the flattering shots.











This one may not look like a wreck to you, but it was. My friend Julie (who's not a blog) had the most gorgeous hair for her wedding, and I wanted to look pretty for mine as well, so I tried the place she went to. But somehow I ended up in the school of the hair salon and not the pros. My hair was accordingly crooked and funky and I was pretty depressed when I walked out of the salon the morning of my wedding. :( This is one of my wedding regrets.


I think I'm done with hair cuts. Why waste more money on something that appears to be beyond the US hair dressers grasp.

16 comments:

Maren said...

I am laughing so hard at the title of your post. Sorry to laugh at your misery. It is funny to me how you view yourself (or should I say we view ourselves), there are so many times where I have thought what beautiful hair you have and then I read this and laugh. I still remember the hair cut you had when we all got together in CA, you looked hot. I guess its all in the eyes of the beholder, but seeing as I am not loving my hair cut/style or lack thereof right now I can really appreciate your frustration.

BTW, where is the most recent pic?

Meike said...

Also auf dem Bild von Tobi, Dir und mir, hast Du eindeutig den besten Haarschnitt von uns 3.
Wir hätten zu dem Friseur gehen sollen bei dem ich immer bin, als du hier warst.
Poste mal ein Bild von Deinem Haarschnitt.
Ich muss ehrlich gestehen, dass ich mein Haar meistens Hasse wenn ich aus dem Friseursaloon rauskomme. Nach 1-2 Tagen habe ich mich dann dran gewöhnt und dann finde ich ihn meistens gut.

Isa said...

ha ha ha, thanks for the laugh today! ;) I wish I could help, but I go tot he hairdresser once a year, and I always look the same. So I really have no advice int he hair cut department.You always looked fine to me!

Isa said...

and by the way, I think your wedding do is beautiful!

Marie M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quinn said...

I think it sucks that of course the USA is to blame again that you got a bad haircut and that all of you Europeans are so convinced that haircuts here on the other side of the pond are way better. After over 15 years of haircuts here in good old Germany and a life time of crappy haircuts (don't think I don't feel your pain - why do you think my hair is always long and the style never changes much) it is obvious to me at least that it is not the hair cutter that is "bad" per se, but the hair itself. Lets be honest - curly hair is TOUGH to cut. I don't think it matters what country you are in (I've tried vacation cuts in Sweden, Holland, Denmark and Italy and they haven't been any better or worse than in Germany or the USA) most salons don't really truly train in cutting curly hair. They apply the same cutting techniques to curls as to straight hair and it doesn't hold. I once got a book (more as a small joke perhaps) called "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey, (subtitle-more than just hair...it's an attitude) that I would recommend reading - somewhat for fun, but there are some great tips. For example, I don't shampoo my hair anymore, haven't for years, unless I've done something to get really dusty or dirty. I only condition. HUGE difference. The other thing is that the book gave me hope - the author runs a salon, Devachan, in SoHo in NYC and it says that curls are her passion and people with curly hair flock from the city and afar to have her cut her their hair. Someday I'll meet you in NYC Franzi and we'll treat ourselves to what I hope to be the MAGIC haircut. I have a phobia of salons like some do of dentist offices. And again I have written a theses, so I will close and go to bed. We are still trying to figure out a way to see you guys while we are there.

Franziska Patterson said...

Well, well...I don't think American hair cutters are no good because of nationality. This was not supposed to be a national thing. Clearly, as my pictures demonstrate I've managed to look hideous both in Germany and in the US. I think you're right Quinn, that they don't seem to know how to handle curly hair, wherever you go. However, I have to say that the only hair cut I ever liked on Henry was one he got in Germany. It was the weirdest thing. Here, I always go with him, tell the barber what I want them to do, and they still don't do it. In Germany, the one time Henry got a hair cut, I told the girl what I wanted, and she did JUST that.

So, I think most hair dressers ANYWHERE don't know what to do with curls, but I also suspect some cultural problems along with it. I think in Germany, the girl didn't interpret or add anything in her head to my words. She did what I said. Nothing more. Here, I think there may be more of a tendency to listen, think your own thing, and do what you think is best, assuming the customer didn't 100 percent mean what they said. I don't know.

Anyway, I'm still hoping for the magical hair cut, too, and I don't think my USA hair cuts have been worse than my German ones...I will reserve that claim only for Henry's hair cuts.

Isa said...

Funny you should bring up Henry's hair cut (and really, you go with him and tell them what YOU want?!?!? We know who's wearing the pants in your relationship!!!!! ;))

Anyway, my point is that the only hair cut I ever liked on Jonni was in Germany, too! We were in this little village in Bavaria and they had this one, old hairdresser, who was a he, and whose hair looked terrible. We were sure that J would come out loking terrible, too. But alas, his hair was perfect! The guy had used only shears, you know, the OLD style, no buzzer at all, and that made all the difference!

Again, not saying that German hairdressers are better, except that THEY ARE.

Franziska Patterson said...

hehe. Well, I started coming along on Henry's request. He doesn't care about his hair, and I'm always disappointed with his cuts when he comes home, so he suggested once that I come along and tell them what I think looks nice (since I have to look at him). Well, by now I realize it makes no difference whether I come along and explain or not. They all do the same hair cut on him...except the one place in Germany. She nodded, and did exactly what I said.

Marie M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kara said...

I sincerely love your hair. I think you have a fabulous color and gorgeous curls. But I understand the frustration of bad hair cuts. I've had MANY of them in Boston, but have finally found a very expensive person to go to who listens and delivers. The first time I went to see her, she sat down and heard me spew my frustrations and hair-cut woes for a solid 15 minutes. If she ever leaves, I'll cry. But I found her after following many bad recommendations from all sorts of people. Finally a good recommendation came through! Plus some nice reviews online. The other thing that has really helped me is fantastic product. Basically anything from Aveda is fabulous, but I recently tried their "Be Curly" line as I'm trying to change things up a bit and embrace my waves. The product called "Curl Control" is amazing. You use it on dry hair and it really shapes and forms curls so nicely. It lasts all day, controls frizz, and provides great shape. Love it. I think you might too.

But sincerely. I do love your hair and always have.

Rachel Leslie said...

Fran, this is soooo funny. I love it, I think you ought to try your 7 year old hair cut again, it's not so bad . . . hehe.

Kari said...

I only get my hair cut in Utah in the one salon I've ever been happy with. You should come with me some time. (: It has consequently been one year since I've cut my hair. The worst was when I got my hair cut right before me wedding. It was horrible. I should show you the pics from my honeymoon, I HATED it. Really. It was so sad. Luckily, my friend worked magic on my hair, and it looked great on the day of. Ah, hair.

HeidiPie said...

Yeah, so I saw your hair today and I didn't think it looked bad. I thought it was cute.

Franziska Patterson said...

Thanks guys. Heidi, a bunch of people commented on my hair looking nice, and I don't think it's that bad anymore, but it is kind of funky, and it definitely looked much, much, much worse on the day it got cut. The only reason I look semi-presentable now is, I think, because I know how to handle my hair. :)

HeidiPie said...

That's for sure Fran, we sure do know how to handle our own hair. Have you ever seen What Not To Wear on TLC when that guy does their hair? It always looks better (well, most of the time) when they go home and do it themselves. Also, it's Ward Missionary, thanks for correcting me and phew too...