Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I lied...

Sophia didn't sleep well, and I wasn't happy! She woke up at 1am, after I fed her at 8pm, and then tried to feed her at 11pm (but she didn't really eat anything). When she woke up, I tried comforting her. She calmed down right away, and really didn't even seem hungry at all, which she also really shouldn't be. So, I decided to let her cry for a little in her crib. Well, we waited and waited, and she wouldn't settle down. An hour later, I gave up in very deep desperation. Henry tried to console her but she wouldn't chill until I took her, and then she was happy again. Even then she didn't seem eager to eat. I did feed her, and she did eat, but I could tell she wasn't 'starving'. She's been doing that a few nights now, and I'm very very frustrated because I can't figure out why she wakes up and what's wrong? She's been such a good sleeper till now. I thought maybe it was the teeth, so I gave her tylenol, but this whole thing doesn't seem to be pain related either...(or maybe it's a pain tylenol doesn't fix). Anyway, after she went back to bed at 2.30am (well fed and with a fresh dose of tylenol), I figured she really should be able to last until 7am. Well, she woke up around 6am crying again. What? I decided again to let her fuss a little. She did calm down this time. I thought she'd be really hungry when I'd feed her next, but when I fed her 30 minutes later, she'd only do one side. So, once again, clearly she wasn't waking up from being super hungry.

WHY IS MY BABY WAKING UP???? I just don't know why she does this, and how I can help her. I don't want her to get into the habit of just waking up and snacking and playing. But, I just can't stand letting her cry so much. On the other hand, I'll really go nuts with so little sleep...urgh...

9 comments:

Isa said...

I hate to be the one to tell you, Fran, but that's what babies do. ;) If there were a magic solution, I'm sure we all would have heard of it by now.

I feel your pain, trust me, I know how it feels to be sleep deprived to the point of losing your mind.

I hope she'll sleep better again soon. You know they say babies always sleep before a major developmental stage, so who knows, maybe she'll start crawling or standing soon.

Hugs to you all and an extra portion of sleep.

Isa said...

*always sleep worse*

Franziska Patterson said...

thanks...I know babies like everyone have their ups and downs, but she's been such a good sleeper from day one, I'm just surprised at how bad it is right now without anything specific I can pinpoint right now. She's woken up more at night in the last few nights than she ever has, even as a new born. I never had to get up more than twice since she was born. Well, I guess I'm due for some challenges with my baby. It's been far too smooth till now anyway. :)

TinTin said...

Simple thoughts indeed...hopefully my time will come!

Kari said...

Poor babies. It's hard to learn how to sleep! I wish there was a magic answer, I've wished it for Avery. Let's just hope her night wakings don't turn into hour and hour long events! I hope she sleeps great for you tonight! If not, she can always come over and play with us while you sleep.

HeidiPie said...

If she's definitely not acting like herself, she may have an ear infection. Some babies show it more or less than others. If something keeps bothering her or doesn't take care of itself in a few days, like not acting normal for her, you should take her in to the Dr.
When I just can't understand what my kids are doing and they aren't acting normal and I've tried everything and thought it all out, it's always nice to have a second opionion, (and a look through to see if there is something else.)

HeidiPie said...

So, I just read your other post. Good to see you took her in, sorry no idea to why she is crying and waking. Maybe growing..kids do that every so often, especially the little ones. =) Also, TLC kids love it!

Maren said...

Haha, yep, that's parenting. It seems that every time I think I've got it figured out they change. It could still be teething, Alex cut her first tooth at 4 months and was teething until she cut her 2 year molars at 12 months and since that was the end of the teeth for a while it stopped. Sometimes they just change and that too will pass. Good luck! I love you and feel your pain.

Angie said...

I feel for you! Even Dylan will sometimes wake up one night due to a night scare, thirst, or pain. Then he gets up night after night for about a week just out of habit. Then it stops almost as abruptly as it started. It's hard not to stress about it, but just know that you will get a full night's sleep again!! And consistently, too!!