Friday, January 30, 2009

Per Request

Here are two pictures of German stove tops. One is the new stuff what probably most people have (however, with new...I mean my parents had this kind of stove for over 10 years). And a picture of an old school German stove top. Both of these stove tops are a heck of a lot easier to clean than what I have to deal with every day.


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go to any home improvement store and you'll see that "new" stove-top model. But it'll be a cold day in hades when they start putting those things in apartment complexes. As for me and my house, electric stove-tops are the pits (new style or old), if you want your food to cook faster and tastier it has got to be a gas stove! The gas stove is the best thing about visitng my parents' house.

Franziska Patterson said...

haha...I know they have those kind of stoves, I just never see them anywhere (not even in nice private homes). Funny that you think gas is faster. I always thought it was kind of slow, especially when you have a big pot you're trying to get heated up.

Henry said...

We should just stick to crockpots. You don't even need to watch what you cook then. Nice.

Henry

Henry said...

I know what Troy is say about stoves in apartment complexes. Anything in an apartment complex is usually done just enough so it doesn't fall apart. At least we don't have to move our stove, cabinets and sink with us when we move each time. Though we would probably invest in better stuff if we did.

Henry

Anonymous said...

I retract my preference for gas stoves in favor crock pots. You can leave your house while a crockpot is on. It's the ultimate in multi-tasking. But, then again, you can't do some things in a crock-pot so my ideal home would have a gas stove AND a crock-pot. I would prefer my crock-pot to be as big as my gas stove too.

Franziska Patterson said...

I wouldn't mind the crock pot AND the gas stove as long as I have a cleaning maid to go along with the house. Then I wouldn't even care about those poorly designed cheap-o electric stoves that get so messy, and are so hard to clean. However, I realize I'd probably also need a cook to make use of the crock pot, since I have no clue how to cook with those.

But really, who came up with those electric stove tops here? Couldn't they just do the old-school German version, and make my life easier. I really hate when the fire alarm goes off all the time, just because another little crumb on the stove is on fire again.

Isa said...

People who believe American-style gas stoves are better than the European ones live in the last century. There is no point arguing this. Fran, you are right, as always.

PS Could you get rid of your traffic feed, I feel terribly exposed... :)

Serenity Rachel said...

Fran, is that top stove an induction cooktop? From what I've read they are the most efficient and cook as good as gas. You have to use cast iron or stainless steel to cook with them. They've been in use in Europe and Asia for awhile and are just starting to come into more use in America. Many people, myself included, have smooth glass top stoves now. Way better than the coil burners!

Franziska Patterson said...

Guys, I don't really know what I'm talking about with those stoves, so I can't tell you if they are induction or what. The one my family has is using "halogen" (whatever that means), but it's not an induction cooker. So, ehm...I don't know, but I know it's much easier to clean, and works just fine.

And Isabelle, the whole point of the traffic feeder is to expose my silent visitors. Well, you're not really silent, but for that reason it doesn't matter if you're exposed, right?

Anyway, I'm laughing so much. I think all of this is so funny.

Henry said...

Franzi,

Maybe we should get rid of the traffic feed just to help our visitors feel welcome, or rather, hidden.

Henry

Maren said...

Fran, you make me laugh so hard!! Yes I love my glass top range built right into my counter top. I forgot all about those sucky apt. ones. Haha!

Angie said...

Ruth has one of those flat-top electric stoves...and hates it because it takes such a long time to heat up, even if it is easy to clean...then it stays hot for several minutes afterward. I used hers enough to like it better than the coil-y electric stove...but I sure like how fast my gas stove heats up...and cools down instantly. The oven, however, does take about 10 min to get to temp, no matter what the setting is.
Do you put aluminum foil on the drip catchers? That can make cleaning easier. When you spill, you can just change the foil.

Renee (and Eric) said...

So, I'll finally confess that you have been keeping me company the last couple of weeks, since I found your link through Quinn. Who am I? Let's hope you may kind of remember me--I'm Renee (Jenkins) Chambers who lived in Bonn '97-98 (Can't believe it's been ten years--yikes!) Franzi's father did the training for seminary teachers. Yes. I got to teach seminary for awhile in Bonn too. It was great for my German and somewhat justifies me receiving fellowship money to live there since I never really attended the university like I was supposed to be. This is already long enough, so I won't explain my long reasons why I never attended classes but I did go to lots of TAGUNGEN...Ha (Benni even DJ'd one in Bielenfeld...) Anyway. In a six degrees separation way, I like that you are now living in my home state. I grew up in Zanesville and recieved my M.A. in German Lit. from Ohio State. I've been goofing around on blogs and facebook more than usual since my husband took a job in Kentucky that will eventually take us to Tahiti in April. In the meantime, he's in Kentucky and I'm home with three little boys enjoying adult interaction in a variety of internet forms.

You're as funny as I remember and congrats on the cute baby. I have fond memories of you and it's happy to see you enjoying some good life.

And I'm totally with you. I have never understood the concept of the American coils. Once I had used German style (and cleaned up various messes much more successfully), I was ruined forever.

Henry said...

Renee, I totally remember you! Or, well, totally is maybe a little much, but I know who you are, and can put a face with the name, and remember seeing you in Bonn? or somewhere. I think we were at your apartment or something. I can't remember the details, but ya know...at least you're not a stranger. Welcome to our blog. I'm glad you spoke up! Where are you guys living?

Fran

Renee (and Eric) said...

Yeah. I'm pretty sure you were at my apartment for some reason. Did it have something to do with the sister missionaries? I dunno. But at one time in Deutschland, we were there.

We're in Georgia. For a little bit longer. We're actually packing up the house, looking for a home for the cat and following my husband's research pursuits to French Polynesia/ Tahiti. I'm trying to stay optimistic. But traveling abroad single and traveling abroad with your little ducks...I don't know why, but I'm not as gutsy as in years past.

If you want to lurk ever...throughourgoggles.blogspot.com

It's sure to have some great pictures of an island in a few months. I hope.