WHAT'S NEW WITH SOPHIA
- Well, she had her 2-months check-up on Wednesday, and also got her first round of vaccinations. For her check-up she measured in at 23.5 inches, and weighed 12lbs 6 oz. That puts her in the 75th percentile - a solid C. I guess, we have to feed her more to get her to the 95th percentile - an A, as we like it in this family. No pressure though. Ok, just kidding on that one. I'm glad she's doing so well, especially when I always worry that she doesn't eat enough. What didn't go well were her vaccinations. Henry stayed home under the guise of school work, so he wouldn't have to see her getting the shots and cry. Instead I had to face her look of "how could you betray me like this". Nice. The nurse started with an oral vaccine, which already made Sophia cry and cough enough that the nurse had to comment that she'd never seen a baby react that strongly to the oral vaccine. Well, she didn't take the shots any better. She was screaming so much and so long that I gave up on consoling her in the office and just went to the waiting area with her. Eventually she calmed down, but the screaming continued later on at home, for hours...when she finally fell asleep, she was still sobbing in her sleep. Poor baby! And now she hasn't pooped since. Thanks Sophia for always keeping your parents on their toes. Other than that though, she's been sweet as always, and continues to be a breeze at night. I'll post more pictures etc. of Sophia tomorrow.
I'm not a big fan of pumpkin. Actually, I thought I hated it, but there are 3 pumpkin favorites I now have - foods that are so tasty that I just want to eat them all day every day. Here they are:
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies. I've always liked those, but never knew how to make them. Now I found out they are the world's easiest cookies. Just mix one pack of spice cake mix with a 15oz can of pumpkin and half a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Mix it, spoon it onto a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes at 400 F. Done. Perfect with a glass of milk. I've been eating wayyyy to many of these cookies these days.
- Pumpkin Soup. I won't post this recipe right now unless you want it, but let me tell you that this is the tastiest soup ever. If you enjoy creamy soups during the winter that are sweet, yet savory with a bit of a tang, ask me for the recipe. This soup is divine, and I'll go and have another bowl as soon as I'm done with this blog.
- Pumpkin Cheese cake. My sis-in-law made this for Thanksgiving. I wasn't going to try it since it has pumpkin in it, but had a bite of Henry's piece. Bad idea. I was hooked, so much so that I'm seriously contemplating to make this cheese cake, even though I hate baking and it requires more than 3-4 ingredients. I think I had about 2 pieces a day while we were out in Missouri. If I'm fatter than I've ever been it's definitely my sis-in-laws fault for making that cheese cake.
- I thought about writing a review, like all my other cool twilighter friends did, but alas, I have no desire these days to do that. Let's just say I liked the movie. I wasn't so sure when I left the theater, but decided that overall I liked it. I felt the character development was a little weak, the plot could have been improved on, and sometimes the music threw me off a bit, but all in all, I think it was pretty well done and I liked the cast. I'd see it again.
- P.S. I really liked Rob Pattinson as Edward. He was almost as handsome and stunning as my husband.
CHRISTMAS
- I love Christmas. I'm so happy it's this time of the year again. It's definitely my favorite time of the year. My only regret these days is that I don't have tons of money so that I can buy presents for everyone I love and care about. Henry and I are pretty darn broke this quarter, and so decided we won't buy each other anything at all. However, we do have a stack of gift cards we will use to find each others some cool stuff for Christmas. It'll also be fun to spend Christmas in Arizona with Henry's sister. It'll be the first time we're flying with Sophia. Hopefully all goes well. We'll be back for New Year's Eve, or so we hope, since we're flying over Chicago. Ehm, what else on Christmas? Oh yeah, we'll do our advents singing again with our friend, along with a white elephant gift exchange. I'll try and take some pictures this year, so I can post them.
DECEMBER 11
- Yikes - I'm turning 31. I thought 30 was freaky, but now I realize it wasnt. Freaky is 31 because it means I'm undeniably headed for 40, and that's just too crazy to stomach. I'm glad I managed to have a baby before 31. Of course, we planned it like that. Ha!
POETRY CORNER
I just flipped through the pages of my poetry book the other day, that's poetry I wrote myself. Henry wanted me to read some of it out loud, and I just cringed...that's just too weird to read your funky poetic attempts out loud. But, I thought I'd post some of them for your personal amusement.
My favorite poem is this:
This is a poem of nothing and naught, so I'll never be famous as surely I ought. by anonymous
This poem Henry and I want to illustrate and turn into a children's book. Maybe one day you'll hold it in your hand as one of our Christmas presents. At least, that's the plan...:
Reversed World
What if the sky
was green,
and instead the trees
were blue?
What if birds would fly
not up above
but under the seas?
And the fish
would walk among the trees?
What if the mountains
all rolled downhill
and up high
we had valleys?
And what if sunshine would chill,
and snow was warm,
and rushing winds
would move no leaf,
while stagnation bends -
ravaging wildy like a storm?
And what if the stars at night
would not sparkle and shine
but instead darkness was bright?
What if people would not walk
on their feet, but hands?
And they would have no skin
but fur instead,
except for the head
which would be bald.
And they would wink
with their ears
as they listen with their eyes.
And you could taste a grin
and smell tears.
And with their thoughts
they would talk,
while silence
were words and sighs.
In this reversed world,
where up was down
and right was left,
would they think
with their hearts
and feel with their minds?
And would they be startled
if the sky was blue
and birds would fly?
Silence
It's been so quiet
that my ears hurt
from the steady buzz
of my thoughts
and the constant echo
of solitude and peace.
The silence is so loud
it muffles all anxiety
and deafens me
with its strength.
3 comments:
Sarah likey.
For not wanting to blog, that was a long blog. I'm glad you love the pumpkin soup so much. I'll send Mike over for a bowel.
Definitely long (I had to scroll 8 times). But it's always interesting to read even though I should already know everything that's going since we live together. I guess I miss some stuff with my nose constantly in the books.
Henry
Post a Comment