Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ike-ed out, preggo pics, and pizza...

The big, fat hurricane Ike that hit Texas also came to Ohio (probably because I was thinking about the Texans being wicked and therefore being smitten by a hurricane, so God had to humble me by sending it our way as well). On Sunday afternoon our power went out due to heavy winds (hurricane gusts - we didn't get the full blow of course) and stayed out until Monday (some places in Columbus are still without power and probably will be for a few more days). It wasn't too bad for us, since luckily we have a nice food storage, our 72-hour kit with cash, and lots of candles, batteries, lamps, flashlights, books and games etc. Of course, the laundry was done as well, and our fridge was well stocked, so no worries! It was actually fun to play games by candle light and to just talk a lot (since there wasn't too much else to do). It was crazy though to see everyone so frantic on Monday, after we were told to expect power to be out for 7 days. We went to one of the few open stores to get a little propane stove, which was the only thing we were really missing. It's nice after all, to have a warm meal now and then. :) Anyway, we got our power back on Monday, and Henry hasn't had to work yesterday or today since his work is still without power. It's like an unpaid vacation.

So, that's our little Ike adventure.

Other than that, we are just waiting for baby to come. She may come early the way things are going right now. I'm already 3 cm dilated, and 80 percent effaced. I'm having Braxton-Hicks contractions none-stop pretty much, so...we'll see. I was also glad to find out today that I have not put on any more weight, and thus have managed to keep my weight gain for the pregnancy just under 25lbs. Yipee! The only thing I'm scared about now is the IV-access that they usually put in at the hospitals. I didn't know that and I really hate having anything stuck in my arm. It usually makes me real tense, and I just freeze up to the point where I don't move at all because I'm too scared to move with something stuck in my arm. The midwife told me though that I can refuse it, so...we may end up doing that. Anyway, it's crazy to think that this baby may be coming any day now. We'll see.

Also, enjoy my 9-months preggo pics I posted. I usually hate pictures of myself, but I think Henry's dad thought I was too chicken to put something up, probably because he thinks I'm huuuge and fat. However, for once, I actually feel pretty good about my "looks", but only to the extend that I think I look pretty slim (if that's possible) for 9 months pregnant. I expected it to be far worse. So, enjoy.



P.S. Please humor me, and tell me that I indeed look skinny as skinny can look at 9-months pregnant. :) It's ok to lie in this instance.

I also had to post a picture of the pizza we just made. Henry and I were real proud because it has our home grown veggies on it. We made the dough, and the sauce, and then put on our home-grown tomatoes, red bell pepper and basil. The onions are from the store though. It's so fun to grow vegetables.

5 comments:

Serenity Rachel said...

You look great, Franzi, from one fellow preggo to another, and I'm not just saying that. You can indeed refuse the IV, though they'll try to make you feel like you can't. If you are attempting a natural birth I'd recommend it as it can interfere with your freedom of movement. I'm notorious for exercising my rights and refusing standard hospital protocol. That's why I birth at home now:-) I like to be in charge!

Franziska Patterson said...

Haha...well, I'm planning on natural, but I'm not "natural" enough to do it at home. I just wouldn't want that mess at home. However, I'm not afraid of insisting on getting what I want or not getting what I feel I don't need. After all, I'm the one paying them for what they do (or I pay my insurance to pay them, right?).

Quinn said...

Ok, would it be ok for me to be jealous at this point?? Your face isn't round and you still have normal pants on. You really do look great! I might be jealous, but I am VERY happy for you too. Can't wait to be an aunt again and to see if I've guessed the name right. (Your mom and I studied the geneology tree on the wall and I think it was pretty easy to figure it out.)

Angie said...

You do look great, Fran. And I'm really jealous that you've gained less than 25 lbs. I've plateaued on my weight loss for over a month...so I guess I'm to the point that I have to work harder to take off that extra 25 lbs (yes...your total pregnancy weight is less than the weight I have to take off now in order to get back to my pre pregnancy weight...oh, so sad).

Anonymous said...

Fran - you do look adorable. Cute top - from Old Navy, right? I had one in grey.