Friday, September 12, 2008

Dreams and Nightmares...

Henry and I both seem to have a tendency for weird dreams. Last night I had some bizarre dreams that unfortunately I can't completely recollect, but I know it involved some sort of mandatory sports competition. I happened to have qualified for all 9 available categories, and thus had to participate in all 9 competitions. I was not too excited at the thought of having to do that 9-months pregnant. I think it included a 5k run, a 10k run, swimming, some jumping, and then some weird sports. I don't know what this means psychologically speaking, but I think I actually did the two runs, figuring why not, I just jogged down the road and did just fine. Ha! Not so in reality. I've definitely started to waddle like a duck It's crazy to think that this baby might come any day now. Scary and exciting.

Henry had some weird dreams, but I won't share those in case he's embarrassed by it. But on to the nightmares. Henry doesn't have a lot of those, but I've always been prone to nightmares. As a teenager I had the most horrible nightmares regarding my family. Some of the images were so gruesome and horrible that I won't even describe the dreams. I think if they were a movie they'd be at least R-rated. Why I'd dream horrible stuff like, I don't know. I never watched horror movies or anything else scary that might stimulate my imagination or subconscience to head that direction. The worst nightmares though I've had in the last years involved losing Henry in some way (either him dying or leaving me). The other night I dreamed that he was sleeping in the basement of our house (we had a house at that point, I guess), and it rained so bad that the basement got flooded. I was so worried about him, and when I ran downstairs to see if he was ok, it turned out that the water had disintegrated him and had flushed him down the drain in the floor. Even though now I realize how funny it is to think of him being flushed down a little drain in the floor, in the dream I was absolutely devastated by his death. I was sobbing uncontrollably and holding my pregnant belly, being so heart-broken at losing him and our little girl never meeting her daddy. It was really sad, and I woke up sobbing, just from the dream. I've had lots of nasty dreams like that, and I hate how real they feel. The only nice thing about them is to still have Henry by me when I wake up, and being extra glad and thankful for having him in my life for a while (until you take your loved ones for granted again...then I guess, it's time for another nightmare to remind me how wonderful it is to be together).

Anyway, have you had any weird dreams or nightmares recently? Feel free to share, or interpret mine if you'd like.

5 comments:

Gusti said...

I don't dream... unless I'm pregnant and then those dreams make up for all the years of zero dream recall. I would wake up so over run by the emotions from my dreams that Anthony would have to console me and almost convince me that none of it was ture. But they felt SO real to me! One time in particular he was totally apologizing for something he had done in my dream and it was so terrible that I was having a hard time granting forgivness. Then he starts shaking his head saying "wait a minute, I didn't even DO that, why am I begging your forgivness?" and we both started to laugh because it was so ridiculous.

Angie said...

I remember having a dream once when I lost Rob...he died somehow. It felt real and I was so devastated. I was so glad to wake up next to him!!

Marie M. said...

Basement of the house: your deepest self, usually where your fears are - water: symbol for emotions. I had tons of dreams when pregnant and I still do. I knew a therapist who mainly worked with her patients' dreams. She would just tell me that seeing closed ones drowning in the water of your emotions was a way for me to know that first, this was a rich emotional time in my life, and that I needed to let go of my desire to control, and then that i needed to communicate clearly to see if my fear that my emotions are "drowning" others is justified or not.
But anyway...Think also that your child is alive now thanks to all the water protecting her. And you understand why the image of water often comes during pregnancy's dreams. Franziska, good luck. What a great time!

Meike said...

I think I better post some funny dreams here so that we all will sleep better. Last night I had difficulties sleeping. So I listened to Narnia audiobooks. I ended up dreaming that they now have cell phone reception in Narnia and that it made the rescue mission a lot easier :)
The second "happy" dream I had a couple of months ago was, that I was in a Ben&Jerry icecream shop and I was allowed to taste all the different flavors there. I was really happy when I woke up from that dream :)

Quinn said...

Maybe it runs in the family, but I don't dream either - sometimes during pregnancies I might remember a dream, but when I lay my head on that pillow at night, I don't even roll over by morning. Just imagine not moving for 6-8 hours. I am generally stiff as a board by morning. The real nightmare is trying to get my bones moving again in the morning.