Saturday, March 15, 2008

Backstabbed!!!

If you haven't read the post before this one, read it first so that this will make more sense.

Read it? Ok...

So, I got fired from my awesome daycare job. After being literally up all night wondering what I did wrong etc. today one of my co-teachers called me, to see how I'm doing. I always liked her a lot. Well, after talking to her the pieces of the puzzle finally came together. Here is what happened.

The situation at my daycare has been really horrible for months. We were consitently understaffed, no help was given, requests were ignored, and our director didn't do a thing except tell us all the things we were doing wrong. No one was happy. The owners own sister quit because she hated working for him so much. Other people quit, too. Some wanted to quit, but hung in. One teacher named Christie, and I talked alot, about how frustrated we were, about how much we wanted out, the jobs we were looking for etc. I also told her that no matter what I was planning on quitting in the summer. About a month ago though, I had enough, no matter what, and accepted another job. I told Christie, who convinced me to stay, that she'd defend me to the end, and that soon things would get better. She was supposed to become assistant director, and the director supposedly was going to get the sack.
Well, about 3 weeks ago, all that did happen. The director got fired, Christie became the director, and...things weren't getting better yet, because we were still understaffed, etc. But, I told Christie I was going to support her. That's why I came in that day after I was sooo sick, because she asked me to. Well, a few days later we were discussing my request to get the 20th of March off. Somehow the whole thing came up about me quitting in the summer, when I requested to have this day a paid vacation. She said, well what about your Germany trip...and I said, you know I will quit by then. Somehow she got all annoyed over the whole thing, telling me that I shouldn't have told her, and that she's my boss now, and ...I wasn't sure what her deal was, so I kinda defended my position saying that it shouldn't be held against me that I have to quit eventually, and that I'm honest about it. Especially since this person always got upset about those leaving with just a 2-weeks notice or no notice. I told her I will definitely give official notice way in advance, and that it just doesn't seem fair to hold that against me, etc. At the end she was just like...yeah you're right, and you're such a hard worker and blablabla.

However, she got obviously got really upset over this because she told another teacher, the one who called me, that I won't get a thing, and definitely not that vacation day, and somehow all of it because I was going to quit in the summer. This teacher also told me that a little after that the owner said that anyone talking wrong to his director (Christie) would get fired right away. Since the owner told me that "staff" had complained about my attitude, it all seems to add up now. Christie complained big time to him, I'm sure, and because of that I got fired. Someone managed to turn from what I thought my friend, and a co-worker I cherished to a back-stabbing power-trip person that got me fired.

My trust in humanity at this point, is just about destroyed. Yesterday I was just mad at the owner because of him being a jerk, but I knew he was a jerk. Now I'm just speechless that I was actually done in by the person I trusted the most at my work.

4 comments:

DL said...

Fran,

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that crap at that awful job. And it sucks when people get a little power and turn into jerks. I'm sure you'll be much happier now that you're not there any more. And I know there's got to be a better job just waiting for you. Hang in there!

Dave.

Julia said...

Ach so n S... es tut mir so leid, echt Franzi,
aber Levin und ich wir werden für dich beten, dass du einen besseren Job bekommen wirst.
Aber die haben so einen ehrlichen und guten Mitarbeiter eh nicht verdient.
Lass den Kopf nicht hängen und hoffe du hast was schönes beim Ikea gefunden.

Julia

Deanna said...

I'm really hoping that this one is a blessing in disguise for you Franzi. Pretty much any job has to be better than the daycare, right? Definitely sending prayers your way that you will be able to find something soon!! Love you!

Romi said...

I'm so Sorry for your rotten luck Fran!! I'm sorry you didn't get the glory of quiting on them and that to top it off they betrayed you like that! You're such a loyal person and you deserve loyal friends. I'm praying for you.