I'm finally trying to get caught up on pictures. In the post beneath, I posted a million pictures of our trip to Germany/Spain this year. I haven't put in any comments yet. I'll try to get caught up on more pictures in the next few days from stuff like birthdays, Easter, and...dunno, random goodness.
What else do I want to write down? On Wednesday I had two good friends call me. I was so happy. No one ever calls (and I guess I hardly ever call anyone either, so there's no one to blame). It was just so nice feeling like I still had friends. It was nice getting phone calls and chatting with people.
I still am trying to figure out what makes me such an ass at times. :) I need to call my therapist and schedule an appointment, because I think it would be helpful to work with someone else through my strong reactions to some things, why I resist certain things (like stuff where I know rationally that it's not as big of a deal, or where I know I should be nicer/behave differently, but there is this huge inner resistance, almost like an inner temper tantrum?), and how I can maybe handle some of my issues in a more mature, productive manner.
I definitely want to be nicer to people. I know it's so important to act with charity and kindness. I totally believe that every person is fighting their own battles, and if we could only really understand where everyone is coming from, what's making them who they are, etc. we'd have so much more compassion. I want to be compassionate. I want to be kind and patient. But often I'm just loud and opinionated, and in shouting out my thoughts on the faults and ills and injustices of the world, I trample over 20 people right in front of me. :(
I think I honestly need to work on listening better. Much better. Much much better. Like, waiting till someone is really done speaking, even if I feel like I know what they are going to say. Or even if I know I'll hate what they say. I had an online discussion where someone mentioned using a lot of questions when having discussions. I loved that. Asking lots of questions makes people feel like you care about what they have to say. It also helps you clarify and really understand where they're coming from. I want to try and do that more.
Part of why I'm often such a poor listener is probably part how I've grown up (I think I had to learn to talk over a lot of people to be heard) and part that sometimes I feel like my mind goes a million miles a minute when I'm in a discussion. Someone says something, and half-way into what they're saying I'm having 20,000 thoughts on what they're saying, and it just all bursts out, and then even as I talk I have more thoughts rushing out, and ...Dunno. It's like I really struggling with reigning in the overload of ideas and thoughts etc. Like if I don't get it all out, it'll be gone, or I won't have a chance to share it?
Anyway, I'm sure Ms. Therapist can help me make a bit more sense of why MY ideas and thoughts need to be shared to urgently, and why I can't take a deep breath, and lighten up, and let some things (lots of things) slide, and just listen more to others, and whatever, take a breather in general about life. It's probably not all always as serious/urgent as it appears to me?
Saturday, September 7, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Well, I just keep putting myself in unnecessary trouble with my husband because I can't discuss without him feeling we are arguing. And I don't have time for the "what do you think honey?", I have things to do, you know? So I make assertions. Short, efficient and let's not waste our time meandering about how and why and...the thinking process bothers me, and I want to blurt out the conclusion now: all I want is end result!
As you see, lots of people function like you.
I'm glad to read some of your thoughts again. My blog is dead. Four boys took away my last gray cells. I hope you're doing good. Bisous
I feel like I'm finally a normal person again after my third baby. 18 months. And she was my easiest baby. I'm feeling for you. It took time and a couple trips to the doctor to adjust medications, and realizing that even though it has been hard to make friends here, I still have friends other places. We are turning out to have a lot in common these days. I'm even an immigrant now. Remember when I was your naive, inexperienced, teenage visiting teacher? I'm glad we stayed friends so I could actually get to know you. I like knowing you, Fran.
Talyn, your comment just made me wanna burst into tears, and go visit you, just to hug you.
I think in all my overwhelmedness, loneliness, etc. I'm learning things. And one thing I've come to learn and appreciate is the beauty of sisterhood. Learning who we truly are. Sharing our stories. I've come to feel such bonds just by people being honest and real and sharing their stories/experiences - even if those were totally different from mine.
So anyway, I'm glad, too that modern technology has allowed us to keep getting to know people. Glad to know you, too, Talyn!
Post a Comment