Henry said yesterday that it's time for another blog post. Seeing how he's the patriarch of the family, he must be right. Just kidding - on the patriarch stuff. Anyway, it IS time. I've just had all kinds of stuff on my mind, and I didn't really have time to sit down and verbalize it all on here.
Anyway, so Henry is done with school. And after 2 months of non-stop family visiting, the last of them finally left 1 week ago. After that Henry and I were in a frenzy to clean and organize the house, get all kinds of stuff done that has gotten neglected over the last few months/years, and then it happened. Saturday, it happened. We had all our errands taken care off. There was nothing specific that needed to be done. And both of us were at home. And had time. It was so shocking, I didn't really know what to do. And it's been so long that we just had a day to do whatever we wanted, I almost couldn't think of anything. It was like we only knew how to be on one certain track, and now that we were on another one, we tried to keep going on the old track. We finally figured out how to get all of ourselves into the car and go swimming.
Then Sunday came along, as it usually does right after Saturday. And I think on Sunday I just sank into this black hole of my new reality. We had another rather un-edifying Sunday (for me) with a really annoying talk on how the men are the leaders in all areas of life (the talk was supposed to be on how the YM program prepares the young men to be fathers, I think), and then a lesson on obedience in RS that included beautiful tidbits such as blind faith being necessary for gaining testimonies (I don't think so...since there is no such thing as blind faith, at least not by common definition of faith) or how Joseph Smith always obeyed God in all things (really? trying to take the gold plates for personal gain, and being chastised by Moroni for it, or giving away the 116 pages of the BoM after Heavenly Father said no to that request twice, don't count? Not to mention all the transgressions Joseph Smith himself only allures to...).
I came home and I just felt down, and empty. And really alone. I have been feeling rather isolated recently. All my good friends I made here in Columbus have moved away. The last of them just moved now after graduation. And now I feel like this awkward left-over, who should be moving on, but isn't yet. I got overwhelmed by suddenly having all this time again, and realizing that I don't really have any good friends here. I miss having book clubs, I miss having people to talk to. I miss having someone around who can actually bear just hearing some of my "oh-so-apostate-or-liberal" thoughts. Having those lessons/talks in Church somehow just consolidated that feeling of isolation. It's hard when I feel my social life depends on the people in Church, and I feel like I have nothing in common with those people. Urgh.
So, I started feeling all gloomy and depressed and alone. And unsure what the future will bring. We have to actually find employment now (or rather a practice to buy). And I have to figure out what to do with my husband now that I actually get to see him. And figure out stuff that doesn't cost, because we're really broke.
I think the house just feels empty, and my world has been a whirlwind of craziness in the last months, and now that it's all quiet again, I just don't know what to do.
I have resolved, however, to be more believing again, and to be more loving. While it's really hard for me right now to hear some of the things I regularly hear in Church and that I think are a bunch of BS, I realize that my ultimate goal is to be like my Savior. Being like Christ, to me is being loving and long-suffering. I decided my focus is on the wrong things. There is no need for me to enlighten others to the error of their ways/thinking (like I could never be wrong?). I realized it's ok to let others believe some of the things they believe, no matter how problematic or uninformed those beliefs seem to me. Maybe more specifically I realized, Church really isn't so much about actual truth being taught consistently (which would be GREAT!), but rather it's a place of learning for all of us. A whole bunch of very imperfect people coming together and trying to come unto Christ. And then I also realized what matters is who I am, and how I live. And I want to live like my Savior - lifting up those around me, serving where I can, learning to love and forgive, regardless of person. Everything else, what others believe and do, is rather irrelevant. If I am close to my Heavenly Father, and live my life guided by the Spirit, I'll know what to do, and I can guide my kids accordingly, and the right things will be clear - regardless of what happens at Church. In short, I realized I'm judging, and whether my judgments are spot on or not, I'm still judging. I've been commanded not to. So, I better quit!
All that. And I want Henry to find a source of steady income. Quickly. Because it makes me nervous to live on so little, and knowing we have to pay back our debts soon, and wanting to move and settle down somewhere real bad, and plan my future and stuff and not being able to because we're in limbo.
I still miss my friends though. Fran is a herd animal. I'm not meant to be alone with my kids and husband all day every day.
P.S. Did I mention that I started training for a marathon? Yeah...
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I love you Fran. Thank you for your posts and your honest open self. I miss visiting with you.
I love you too Fran. I love my little herd.
Henry
Fran you have articulated a LOT of my feelings that I have had for the last year, since moving to Utah. Thank you for being so open and honest about how you are feeling. I just don't know how to put these things down in words. I miss you too, and wish I could be there to give you a big hug.
Fran,
I'm not sure Joseph Smith did any alluring to sins, but had you said he alluded to having some of his own, you would have been completely right. (I almost just wrote that you would have been right, but I added the "completely" because Tobi recently explained to me that Germans are always right; Sometimes they are only A- right, sometimes they are A right, and sometimes they are A+ right, but they are always right)I sometimes think we do ourselves a disservice, trying to think that prophets are/were perfect people (especially when we know the Lord was the only one actually to foot that bill in mortality). We'd probably feel a lot more confident in our own chances at salvation if we'd read the scriptures and take not of the fact that prophets teach repentance not only when they speak, but also through their actions.
Hahaha. Yes, Tobi is right (both by virtue of simply being German and because I say it as a German... :))
Allured, alluded, whatever. ;) He wasn't perfect, is the key, and not only not perfect, he also disobeyed God at times (which I guess IS imperfection). I totally agree we'd all be better of remembering that no human being is infallible, and that any of them can be subject to error. And that at times they probably are. Which is probably why all of us should strive to have the spirit with us always, and to always listen/read/live with the Spirit as a guide. If all we have to do is gain a testimony of someone's calling once, and then we can sit back and trust them completely...I think we'll all be in trouble in no time.
Oh, look at me correcting your use of the English language with typographical errors of my own...it should have been "take note of the fact", not "take not of the fact". My fingers must be included in the part of me that isn't German, because they sure didn't get that bit right!
I'm not close to you, but I still keep reading your blog, because I always liked and adored you so much! Still do. I like your honest and refreshing style of writing. So (although I'm not in the position of a friend who is asked for advice) I'd like to say that you're not alone with those feelings. Feel huged. We just moved to Switzerland and left everyone and everything behind. So we share that black hole together ;-)
We left a bunch of really good friends in St Luis and it's taking awhile to gain friendships here at the same level we left them there. The black hole feeling is lonely. But you've got the right focus...doing what you do so well in reaching out to others. I hope your black hole will fill in soon.
I just saw this post now, and agree with the things you said about church being a place for all of us to grow together and to support each other.
I have wondered, at times, why I go to church at all, not because I don't have a testimony, no, but because I don't understand a word they are saying most of the time (they speak Finnish and I zoom out), and even if I did, I sit in the back alone with the two kids (Jonni sits with the bishopric) and try so hard to keep them from making a noise that I don't hear a thing anyway.
And then, as I was trying really hard to figure out answers and asking some tough questions, it occurred to me that really, Sunday is not there for me to sit there and listen and smile and polish my halo. It's not even there for me to feel the spirit (!). It's there for me to uplift others, to mourn with those that mourn, to give love, to share my testimony. Even if to nobody else than my kids.
I spend a lot of time in the hallway, because of the kids, and it used to annoy me, but I've realized the opportunities it brings, to talk to people in need, older ladies, other moms, less active people, etc.
Long story short: I agree, church is not there for us to correct others of their flawed way of thinking. The best correction happens through love and example anyway. It's there for us to become more like Jesus. And once you hit a certain "level" of membership, it's just mostly about service, I guess.
I think this is what I was trying to say on your 4th f July facebook status, sorry if I offended you. I actually think we agree, at heart.
Love and hugs, Fran! Once Henry has his practice and you have some money again, come visit us in Finland! You always have friends here.
:)
Post a Comment