Saturday, January 8, 2011

Germany or USA?

A friend on facebook just asked if after 10 years or so, I haven't gotten over the 'Everything is better in Germany' stage. Good question. I don't think so, but it just gave me an idea for a post. So, for everyone's personal enjoyment, I thought I'd make a list of "stuff" and then declare a winner for each category. Mainly, I'll state whether I think Germany or the US is doing better in that area. For the sensitive readers, please note that this is supposed to be nothing but my own opinion and not gospel truth, nor is everything necessarily 100 percent serious. Ok? So, in no particular order:


  1. Drivers: GERMANY - clearly!
  2. Food (overall): Germany
  3. Men: USA
  4. Women: Germany
  5. Sports (soccer and horseback riding excluded): USA
  6. Soccer and horseback riding: Germany
  7. The great outdoors: USA
  8. Pedestrian/bike paths: Germany
  9. Roads: Germany
  10. Being Green (environmental awareness): Germany
  11. Overall healthiness: Germany
  12. Health care services: Germany
  13. Public education: Germany
  14. College education: USA
  15. Voting: Germany
  16. Civic involvement: USA
  17. Customer Service: USA
  18. Affordability (of almost anything): USA
  19. Quality (of pretty much anything): Germany
  20. Language ability: Germany
  21. Critical thinking: Germany
  22. Friendliness/Politeness: USA
  23. Honesty: Germany
  24. Racism (as in not being racist): USA
  25. General World Knowledge: Germany
  26. Public bathrooms: Germany
  27. Public smoking: USA
  28. Family services (companies): USA
  29. Family services (government): Germany
  30. Diversity: USA
  31. Architecture: GERMANY!!!
  32. Progressiveness (household appliances only): Germany
  33. Glamor: USA
  34. Natural Beauty: Germany :)
  35. Violence: USA - meaning the USA has more overall violent crimes!
  36. Marriage: USA
  37. Religion: USA
  38. Friends: USA - since most of my friends are either American or from other European countries...but those few German friends are definitely precious :)
  39. Movies: USA
  40. Music: USA
  41. History (general): Germany
  42. History (political): both lose
  43. Debt (handling it wisely): Germany
  44. Sense of Responsibility: Germany
  45. Sense of Community: Germany
  46. Sense of Individual Rights: USA
  47. Safety: Germany
  48. Christmas: Germany
  49. Chocolate: Germany
  50. Science: USA
  51. Church (Mormon Church): Germany
  52. Showers: Germany
  53. Renting: USA
  54. Interior Design: Germany
  55. Swimwear: USA
  56. Public Transportation: Germany
  57. Recycling: Germany
  58. Airport Security: Germany
  59. Military Force: USA
  60. Better Looking Presidents/Chancellors: USA
  61. Natural Disaster Risks: Germany (as in it has very few if any risks for natural disasters such as tornados, earthquakes etc.)
  62. City Development: Germany
  63. Access to Government (as in finding the buildings, resources etc.): Germany
  64. Choice: USA
  65. Volunteerism: USA
  66. Pre-school: Germany
  67. Taxes: USA
  68. Free Stuff: USA
  69. Manners: Germany
  70. Tolerance: USA
  71. Land size: USA (Henry's suggestion)
  72. Opening Hours: USA (mostly - I do prefer that almost everything is closed in Germany on Sundays)
  73. Shopping: USA (I hate malls, but I think overall there are more stores here and better prices, and hello - OUTLET malls!!!)
  74. Eating Out: USA (Germany wins for me only in the area of quality, USA has more free food, diversity, availability and affordability in this area, though the usual lack of quality makes me almost want to give this one to Germany...)
  75. Vacation: Germany

Any categories you'd like me to rate? Anyway, I think I counted 39 out of 70 things going in favor of Germany. So, I guess I just established my bias. But no one can accuse me of not seeing ANYTHING good about the USA. I do. I just see more in Germany. Hahaha...

11 comments:

Kari said...

Better looking president? I think it's funny that made the list... now I want to see what Germany's leader looks like

Julia said...

Also ich finde die Liste sehr cool und äußerst realistisch ich würde bei vielen Dingen genau so voten. zumindest bei denen die mir aufgefallen sind als ich in Amerika war.

Julia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel Leslie said...

I love it Fran and by the way I still read your blog. It might not show up all the time because I often read it off of googlereader. I think you're splendid and good luck with the great 2011 goals as well.

Dörte said...

Ha, ha this was entertaining. Glad I inspired a new post ;). I would have to disagree on public education and sense of community. My vote would be U.S.A.

Another category to add would be Shopping (excluding food). Hm. I like trips to Germany and my quality time at H&M, but I wonder if I like shopping better in the US long term. Not sure.

Quinn said...

Hi Franzi, after being internetlos - hey there's another pro for America! We definately have more computers, and access - ok, now Benny is arguing with me - pointing out that we were in AUSTRIA and not Germany, maybe he's right I don't care. We didn't have access for the entire week. I had great hopes of starting the new Year blogging again. One of my goals. Please know that now after reading the past 6 posts, it is after 10 and I need to just go to bed. And not comment, but I love seeing the pictures of you guys and reading what you are up to and although there might have been 1 or 2 on this list I would have rated otherwise, (I ended up skimming towards the end because Benny just walked in and is breathing down my neck) I think you gave a pretty realistic view. I am not writing anymore because Benny is reading everthing I am writing and that is ANNOYING me. I think I am tired. Love to you all.

Franziska Patterson said...

Kari, our current Chancellor (equivalent of the US president) looks like a horse. The one before was pretty decent looking, but the one before that wasn't. I think the Bushs, Clinton and Obama fare far better in that area. :)

Quinn, I also can't write when someone is looking over my shoulder. Go away Benni! You're distracting my commenters! ;)
I don't know that I'd prefer internet accessability everywhere though, so Germany may win for me in that area, and yes, Austria is NOT Germany. :)

Doerte, danke fuer die Inspiration. While I can't say that I'm in complete favor of the German public education system, I do prefer its shorter hours (even though those are changing), and overall better performance in creating standard results (US is consistently ranking in the lowest levels in the PISA studies). I do like though that there is more flexibility and choice in regards to education. But that's where it ends for me. Hate that kids have to go to school at 5 years, that they're gone long hours, crappy school lunches, oftentimes poorly trained teachers, etc etc. Honestly, whole probably most of the categories I picked, I was somewhere in between, education is one where I'd probably hardly ever pick the US over another European country. I feel pretty strongly about the education here. But of course, lots of the categories I picked could probably been seen from many different angles, and discussed indefinitely.

As for community sense. I'm not even sure what I mean with that. I do feel that overall people still know their neighbors more in Germany, and that there is a sense of wanting policies/laws that benefit everyone/the community, while the US feels more disconnected to me, with less of a care for the overall well-being of their communities. I feel that this is reflected in city design, in policies, and even how a lot of neighborhoods operate. But of course, it's not like that completely. If you live in a nice suburban neighborhood, I think there's often a great sense of community. Again, double-edged.

blablabla...I'm glad everyone else is having fun with this as well. I had fun writing it.

Franziska Patterson said...

Oh, und Julia! Wie schoen. Ein Kommentar von dir!! :)

Henry said...

I think you should comment on how German president's ears are nicer. I think of Bush and Obama and I think of big ears. We could through Clinton in the mix just for kicks.

H

Marie M. said...

love that biased list!

Dave said...

Although I haven't spent a whole lot of time in Germany, I think you're still a bit too biased in favor of the US. The more time I spend abroad the less I am impressed with my own country. OK, maybe you're not biased, but generous!

The US will still always have the best bacon.