Monday, October 4, 2010

Joining the Pattersons...

will be...a healthy, little baby. Wait, don't worry. I'll tell you the gender, AND a name, but first I'll indulge you with details you probably don't care about. Haha! Anyway, this morning when we went in for our appointment, the silly medical assistant gave us almost a heart attack. She tried to find the heart beat, and it seriously took her about 5 minutes. She moved from one side to the other, up and down, more gel, tried again, told us to be silent, tried more, asked me where they usually found the heart beat, etc. I was ready to punch her if she didn't find that heart beat INSTANTLY. Talk about trauma. Well, eventually she did. But, after that Henry and I were a bit shaken up, ready for bad news. Then, in walked the doctor, saying how I was a bit early for my 20-week ultrasound, and she didn't know if we'd be able to see anything. Urgh...but, she was willing to try. Well, baby was cooperative, and the doctor was able to see everything, and could tell that everything looked perfectly healthy. Sigh. Such relief. And she could tell the gender.

So, without further ado - joining our family will be a little girl. I guess my intuition hasn't failed me. We're so thrilled. And her name will be Alba Zoë. Up for debate is still whether we'll call her by her first name or her middle name. So, I guess in the meantime you better practice pronouncing both names properly. Here is a run-down on the proper pronunciation of both names: Alba is pronounced with a full-sounded A (ah) as in 'partner' or 'arduous' or 'mater'. Zoë (you can get the emphasis dots by pressing alt+ 0235, but I don't care if you put them on there) is pronounced with the emphasis on the last syllable (zo-EE) and the ë pronounced like the 'e' in e-mail. Any questions?

Yes, I just had to say something about how to pronounce the names, since they're not as clear cut like Sophia, which is almost impossible to mess up. Anyway, we love the names. Alba is Italian for sunrise. Who doesn't love a sunrise. And Zoë is Greek for life - and we really treasure that right now.

There ya go. We're so happy and excited! Oh, and Aliza, your boy name guess was right. If it would have been a boy, we would have had a little Yannik!

P.S. I just mentioned on facebook why we're even announcing a name at this point. Contrary to what some may think, it's not so we can debate it. :) Feel free to tell us how beautiful you think the names are, but I really don't care to hear that you hate it. Haha. So, the main reason, or actually the only reason why we're sharing a name is because I don't want our baby to be 'anonymous'. With the miscarriage I had the beginning of the year, one of the most painful things for me was the thought that what was a real little life and child to me, was basically nothing to everyone else. It was an idea to everyone else, with no name and no gender. In many ways a 'nobody'. To think that someone who was so real to me, was in many of the most basic ways so unreal to everyone else, was bitter. And so, this time I want our child to have an identity as soon as possible. I want people to be able to connect with this baby as a being now, and not when the baby is born (like it's not real until then). Because, she is already a being, with feet and hands, and a cute yawning mouth - and most importantly, a name. No more talk of 'baby' from now on. It'll be our little Alba Zoë (until we've decided if it'll just be Alba or Zoë)!

28 comments:

I am Laura said...

!!!!! Yeah!!!!! A little girl is so good. I am still confused with the pronounciation. I get the Alba part, but not the Zoe. If if doesn't rhyme with Chloe what does it rhyme with?

Serenity Rachel said...

I was going to say call her Zoe for sure (Sorry, don't know how to get the little symbol over her name and nobody else will either so if that's important to you I'll be worried) Also, if you think anyone will actually call her zo-EE with the emphasis on the second syllable you'll just be frustrated every time someone says her name because it just won't happen here. It would be like asking everyone to call Henry hen-REE instead. It just seems unnatural and doesn't really work. So maybe you should just stick with Alba. People may still say the "a" wrong but it will be a slighter difference. Sorry to burst your bubble but with all of those stipulations and explanations necessary I don't think you've actually succeeded in your goal of coming up with a name that works well in both languages.

And people will think you named her for Jessica Alba.

Just my perspective.

Sort of a creepy story. I always try to think of potential mean nicknames etc. when picking out names. After naming Simeon, I had a dream that he was being teased at school and the kids were calling him "Semen! Semen!" and being horribly mean. I still worry about that sometimes.

Serenity Rachel said...

Oh, but congratulations on a healthy little girl! I know you were worried so I'm glad everything is okay and looks good. That is what is most important. Let's hope this is the year for girls because I'll be honest, I'll be a bit disappointed at first if I end up with a 5th boy instead of a little girl.

HeidiPie said...

yeah! pretty exciting! and I'm with Laura on the pronunciations...what does it rhyme with?

Franziska Patterson said...

Okok...let me clarify. In English all those hip names right now that end in 'oe' like Chloe or Zoe, all have the emphasis on the first syllable. Since I'm not Americanized though, and Zoe is actually a Greek word, I'd like to stick with the proper pronunciation - which is having the emphasis on the last syllable - Zo-EE!

I personally love the dots over the e, which also indicate where the emphasis should be, but I don't care if other people type it right (by the way though, you can get it by pushing alt+ 0235).

So, since the emphasis is different than from Chloe, it technically doesn't rhyme, but I guess it doesn't really matter. I don't know what Zoë rhymes with in English.

Reni, I don't care if people think we named her after Jessica Alba. Most people probably don't even know Jessica Alba. At least, I haven't heard of her until I stumbled upon the name. Also, I've decided that you can pick pretty much any name and someone will mispronounce it, or come up with a stupid nickname or joke or some person you named them after. I personally hope I never have to figure out how to actually say Thaddeus' name - I simply would have a really hard time. :) And, while I don't care about random people getting the name a bit wrong (like saying Alba with the wrong 'a' or Zoë with the wrong emphasis - which to me are minor mispronunciations and very tolerable considering most other international name options), I would hope that family and friends make an effort to get the name right, just as I'd hope family and friends try to get my name right or as I would try to get other peoples names right. It's not like I'm asking for the impossible here. And to say that it's unnatural to have the emphasis for Zoë where it is, is just plain silly because that's where it actually belongs. Just because Americans are completely inept with languages hardly means that the way they do it is the natural and proper way. I just have to disagree on that one.

Anyway, no matter what anyone says - we're just happy, and loving our name choice.

Isa said...

Aww.. yes! A little girl! Congratulations, I'm so happy for you!

:) :) :)

And get out of here, Zoë, spelled exactly like that, is one of my all-time favorite names (but Jonni hates it, surprise surprise). Well, I'm glad it goes to the adorable girl of a dear friend! :)

I like Alba, too!

(And about the pronunciation, I'm confused, too. I always pronounced it the way it's spelled, the way the French pronounce it... What's that talk of an "i" and "Chloe"?)

:D

Isa said...

okay, I just saw your comment.

Phew, you are pronouncing it the right way! (Not the American way, haha) I'm so glad! :)

And from a mother of a girl who has a name that nobody knows or knows how to understands... let me assure you that it's fine. People get over it. (And your daughter will always be someone special and she'll know it, too.)

:)

Isa said...

LOL, as to Jessica Alba... nobody will even know who she is 5 years from now.

Franziska Patterson said...

Hahaha...well, you're German, so you'd pronounce it the way it's written. Just imagine it's written 'Zoie' instead of Zoë, and you'll be good. It all has to do with the fact that I want to stick with the origin of the name. Maybe if I didn't speak Greek, I wouldn't care, but I do, and the name, in its pure and unadultered form is pronounced with an 'EE' sound at the end, and the emphasis on it as well. No matter what the French say, or the German, or the Americans - that's the original version, and that's the one I want. I think I'll edit my post and try to make that more clear. Seems like everyone is confused. I wrote it all up real fast, so I'd get the word out. :)

That's too bad Jonni's taste in girls' names is so, urm, uneducated. Haha! Just as long as you don't end up with a Wilhelmina though I guess it'll be ok. :)

Isa said...

no, no, Fran, I got it. The French pronounce it just like the Greek. The way it should be pronounced. with a long ee at the end. And I love the meaning of the word, too.

So, congrats, Good choice! :)

Franziska Patterson said...

Sweet! I wasn't sure. I've heard some Germans trying to do the German 'e' sound, which it's not. The French are so smart. Anyway, I'm glad you see the awesomeness of our name choice.

Zoë was going to be little baby's name last time around. We had already called her Zoë from the day we found out I was pregnant. That time around it would have been her first name, but Henry pointed out today, since she needed a second try to make it, her name is now pushed back to second place. Haha. Oh, and with that, I guess I should say that we're just feeling like our little pumpkin from the last pregnancy is making a come-back. I've been thinking about this so much and trying to make sense of it all. Someone mentioned to me months ago that when I get pregnant again and we know what we're having it'll probably become clear during that time how the whole spirit/miscarriage stuff is working out. So, my conclusion is that our little Zoë is back. I just love the meanings of the name. I just feel they fit our situation so well - sunrise, indicating a new beginning, a new start, a new day which will be full of life. Ahhhh...I just don't know how to pick names that don't really mean anything.

I'm so happy for our little girl to come. I can't wait and just hope that all continues to go well.

Serenity Rachel said...

Well, I just lost my big long comment so here is the short version. It is unnatural to pronounce it that way in American English. Most 2 syllable American names have the emphasis on the first syllable--Abby, Mary, Nancy, Emma, Bella, Ashley, etc. Marie is the only name I could find with emphasis on the 2nd syllable.

And having an unusual name that you must teach people is easier than taking a name that is fairly well known, like Zoe (emphasis on the first syllable) and expecting people to pronounce it differently.

In America, most people, family included, will pronounce it the American way, not the Greek or French way and you have to be okay with that or pick a different name. Or just stick with Alba.

Just look at how confused some of your readers were at your explanation to emphasize the second syllable? It just doesn't seem right to us and it won't to the rest of the "stupid" Americans you'll deal with everyday.

Just trying to prepare you so your expectations aren't too high.

Franziska Patterson said...

Well, that's nice, Reni. I just disagree. Any family in Europe will get it. And any family over here I think is very capable of making a measly syllable shift. Just because we haven't picked the typical American version doesn't mean people can't adapt. I think that you're doing injustice to Americans in that way. I think people here can pronounce it properly when told, though I certainly agree that probably everyone who's American will pronounce Zoë the typical way when they see the name.

I also don't think people will do better with an unusual name. I have a foreign name, and no one can pronounce it properly here. Its proper pronunciation is simply not within the realm of typical American sounds. Zoë is, however - even if the emphasis may not be typical. But just as people can switch from Mary to Marie, I think people are capable of making this shift as well when asked. I don't see a reason why not. And if people simply don't care to pronounce the name right, well...clearly, there is nothing I can do about that. But there is also very little guarantee that they'd pronounce any name the way you'd hope. Will I be bothered if people say the name with the wrong emphasis? Not really. But, I do hope that family and friends will try and say it right. And that's really all there is to it.

I don't even know why we're having this conversation. I really don't want a name fight here. I realize you just want to point out that people may not say the name the way I want them, too. Well, I'm aware of that. And I believe people will be able to learn to say it differently when informed of the name. Some won't. And that's life.

Also, I don't think Americans are stupid. I just didn't like the suggestion that just because a name, that actually isn't American in any form or way, is pronounced a certain way in English, that that's the natural/proper way to say it. I don't think so, and I find it quite impolite when people don't try to pronounce someone's name the way it should be pronounced. When I've met people from arabic speaking countries, I tried to say their names as well as I possibly could, and not try to smack some German/English version on it, because it's easier for me. But, ya know...just just me. I value languages, and I value maintaining the language source. Which is why I still struggle at times to say certain words in English that aren't actually English (like restaurant, parmesan, entrepreneur, linguine, and similar words).

Anyway. Blabla. I don't want this to be an argument. This is my happy day. I appreciate your concern. I'm not really worried, but if you're right and everyone will say the names wrong, then I'll let you know, and you can pat yourself on the shoulder for being right. How does that sound?

P.S. And I don't think anyone was so confused by the syllable shift as much as my supercrappy explanations. I know that for a fact, because everyone who reads my blog is supersmart. :) Except for that lame-o person from a while back who left me a mean comment.

Kari said...

Yeah!! You were right. (: I love having two little girls. And I think you should call her Alba. I love that name. Yeah!!!!

Deanna said...

I love the name, Franzi! We love names that are different and not the same as ten of the kids down the street. And our household is just used to people mispronouning names. People always have to ask for a repeat of the name for both Alia and Lawson and NO ONE EVER says our last name right. I told my kids to just get used to it :-)

I agree with you-as long as our close friends and family learn it the right way, we're good!

So glad she's healthy and doing well!!

Franziska Patterson said...

Really? People ask about Alia and Lawson? I could maybe come up with some possible pronunciations variations on Alia, but not for Lawson. How else could you possibly pronounce Lawson other than you do? Weird. Well, I guess that just proves my point. You can pick almost any name, and someone won't get it.

Serenity Rachel said...

So, not trying to fight here and not offended or anything but maybe providing a different perspective?

And I'm not one with no experience of unusual names. My name is Serenity, my nickname was "Reni" all growing up and my maiden name is "Meurer" Try pronouncing those.

One more story to share my view and then I'll shut up. I worked with a girl named Brittany once. Everyone pronounced it the typical American, 2-syllable, way "Brit-ney" She insisted constantly that people call her "Brit-uh-nee" with 3-syllables and distinctly articulated Ts (like it might be pronounced in England) To be frank, it was obnoxious and snobby and most people just rolled their eyes at her.

That's the exact situation I invision in my mind when I imagine you telling people, "It's zo-EE not ZO-ee" As people look at the way you've spelled it and think "whatever" and roll their eyes.

So maybe I'm imposing that experience on this one too much but that is my gut reaction.

Britt said...

Congratulations on a healthy baby girl! I think the name you have chosen is great! (As if it matters.)
As one who goes by my middle name I thought this might help...

Cons: 1)It confuses many people. ie "If you are Britt than who is Tiffany?" "I am." "Oh, so you are NOT Britt." "Yes, I am." (Frequent conversation.)

2)Everyone insists that I sign my first name on legal documents. It bugs. Why should I have to? I don't use it for anything else. It's awkward signing a name that you don't usually sign.

3)Insurance, banks, and credit card companies all insist that a first name be put on first. This also is awkward and often annoying. Why? I go by my middle name!

Pros: 1)It's different than most people and that's fun

As I'm sure you noticed there was only one pro listed. Even still...I like that I go by my middle name!

Good luck deciding!

Deanna said...

People don't ask about Lawson's name if they actually see it spelled on something, but when we are verbally asked his name and say "Lawson", people usually hear "Austin" or some other name that is more common for them to hear, or they don't process it and have to ask again. So we usually have to repeat it or spell it for them. I think it's just that they don't recognize it right away.

Marie M. said...

Oh, I love both names...and they have a beautiful meaning. Asking opinions might get you unsure or confused, so just keep those two!

Franziska Patterson said...

Britt, thanks for your input. I'll actually consider that. Using a middle name is fairly common in Germany, so I'm sure you wouldn't have had that conversation there, and I'm aware of it not being a common practice here, but I wasn't aware of the potential 'legal' ramifications. I have to think about that.

Reni, nothing wrong with a different perspective. I think I just wasn't looking for a list of concerns and issues. We give our name choices a lot of consideration, and certainly spend a lot of time thinking about how people can/will handle the names we choose. I'd hope any parent thinks about that before naming a child (apparently some parents don't). But, in the end, I think you can do that, and think you have the perfect pick, and yet you'll run into trouble. Our name choice works almost perfectly. It won't cause any trouble abroad, and minimal trouble here (since I consider the emphasis and a issues just small mispronunciations). I think we totally succeeded in our goal, and we're very happy with our pick.

Will some people dislike being corrected, or think we're weird? Yeah, probably. But I don't care. I certainly won't choose a different name just because a lot of people are too disrespectful and/or lazy to try and learn to say someone's name correctly. I make that effort for others, and I think it's rather ignorant and impolite to not do that. Now, if I had picked a name that includes sounds that are unpronouncable for Americans or Germans, that'd be a different story to me. But that's not the case with our pick. So, therefore, I'd hope for friends and family to say the name right, and the rest simply doesn't concern me.

And to be honest, I would have pronounced Brittany's name the way she wanted, and I don't think I would have struggled with your name either. People just have to learn to get over their lazy tongues, and open their minds. Period. If they can switch from Mary to Marie, they can handle a switch from ZO-ee to Zo-EE. That's my opinion.

Robert said...

I can't wait for Sophia and Alba Zoe to be walking in the park together and reading books together and laughing and playing with Mom and Dad. I love it.

What extremely magnificent wonderful news!

Hooray and welcome, little precious Alba Zoe. I can't wait to see you and hug you and hold you.

Love, Grandma

Renee (and Eric) said...

Hooray for baby girl!
Congratulations!!! It must feel a little like Christmas to be able to call her by name and to have seen her kicking and stretching. What a wonderful, wonderful moment and day. So glad to hear about it.

I've got a lot of cute boys for your girls to choose from... I'm already scheming for some super girl relations by marriage. My best last hope for added femininity in my household. Ha.

Enjoy your Alba Zoe.

Isa said...

I just need to butt in about the middle name discussion.

Isabell is actually my middle name. I've always gone by that name. My first name is Carina.

So, when I go to the doctor.. or any sort of official bureau / department type setting, they'll call me by Carina (instead of Isabell).

And I must tell you that I actually really love it. It's almost like I have a different identity to the government (haha). My friends and family and neighbors etc know me by my real name, the one I indentify with, and care about. And all others get to call me Carina. It's nice. :)

KroekieMonsters said...

Fran, I love that you have picked such a special name for your girl. My parents took common enough English names for their daughters and gave them a special twist (Aliza and Rebekah, instead of Eliza and Rebecca) and we always have to spell and often respell our names for people who thought they knew what our names were because they are used to something else that is similar. Some people are ignorant enough to be put out or even role eyes, but I would much rather have my own name than share it with three other girls in my class. And Alba Zoë will either feel how special she is every time she says her name or hears it pronounced correctly - or she'll be like my husband Tobias and not care when lazy Americans say the name they are more familiar with.
As for using second names - many an Apostle has gone by his second name and I have yet to hear of any major objections to that. Yes forms for the masses will be frustrating for their inability to accommodate individuals (and you may occasionally have to deal with people who are logically challenged - I've made more than one call to insurrence companies who didn't want to pay for my husband (who is Tobias Jens) to see a pediatrician, when it was our son Tobias Joseph who was seen. If people where never named Jr. or never had middle names such stupidity would make more sense, but people will be dumb whether you try to make things easy for them or not. So enjoy the names you've picked, and I'm so glad you are letting us get to know your daughter as her own little person already.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on little Alba Zoe! I'm so happy for you. We're having a little girl, too!

Homesteading Urban Style said...

I will have to pin you down on Sunday to have you correctly say the names for me. :)

Marianne said...

Congrats guys...I'm so happy for you! And I really think the name is cute:) Not that what I think matters. I hope the last half the pregnancy goes quick and is uneventful:) (in a good way:))!