Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Scary Train

We live just a couple of hundred yards away from a train track. Luckily, living in this beautifully safe country, every time a train rattles by (in the middle of the night) it honks as many times as it can so we don't die crossing the barred train tracks while a train is coming. Anyway, so we hear the trains all the time, and since they're going by all the time, we've eventually tuned out the sound. Sophia grew up with it, and has never even noticed. Until the other day...

She was sitting alone in our bedroom, drawing at our computer desk. I had the balcony door open, and was somewhere else doing who knows what. Suddenly I heard hysterical sobbing from our bedroom. I ran over there, thinking something had happened, and Sophia had hurt herself. Nope. She was just staring with fear in her eyes towards the balcony where you could hear the loud, obnoxious honking of the train. I took her outside, and showed her the train, and told her the sound comes from the train, and how it goes 'ratatatata' and 'choochoo' and all that. That seemed to calm her down, and I figured this would now be resolved. Not so.

Since that incident she's been afraid of trains. To the point where she wakes up at times in the night, when a train goes by, and cries, or comes running to me in fear during the day. Quite sad. I had to laugh this morning though when Sophia was crying in her crib when a train was driving by. I walked in and was stroking her face, saying it was just the train. She took it from there with this little monologue:

Sophia: That's the train. It's the train. Ratatatatatatata. The train. The trains goes choochoo. Choochoo. The train. Ratatatatatata. It's the train.

It was so funny to me. It almost seemed like some mantra, something that if only she verbalized it, and repeated it often enough would make it all ok. I think she was just processing everything and trying to explain to herself what was happening. But it was just so cute to me to hear her laying there going 'ratatatatata' and all. Hehehe...

Another cute moment today was when I just got her ready for bed. It was getting a little late, and I could tell Sophia was getting tired, and restless. I was struggling to get a diaper on her, which took forever because she wiggled around and was kind of fighting it. So, in exasperation I said "Sophia!" and was ready to say something else, when she looked at me with a serious face and said "Zeit schlafen zu gehen!" (Time to go to bed!). I had to laugh because that's what I was about to say.

I love my little Sophia-monkey!

8 comments:

KroekieMonsters said...

Who does "him" refer to? A stuffed animal?

Franziska Patterson said...

No, that's me being tired. It should be 'me'. :)

KroekieMonsters said...

Okay, thanks that makes more sense. What a cute little girl you have!

Henry said...

I agree. Such a cutie.

h

Danny and Darcie said...

The whole train thing is so sad, and yet funny too. I wish I could tell her that I didn't like that train too. As always, but I have to say it still, Sophia's vocabulary is amazing. Derrick is beginning to verbalize and talk, but still nothing in comparison to Sophia.

Serenity Rachel said...

Funny, we could hear trains going by at our last house. Not too loud to wake you up but almost in a soothing comforting way. Its one thing my 6 year old actually misses at our new house and he mentions it totally on his own on a fairly regular basis.

Kari said...

That is tragically funny. What a scary world it must be for toddlers. That story totally has me laughing, and hoping that she will start sleeping through the scary train. (:

Franziska Patterson said...

It is kind of funny, except that it wakes her up now, which isn't fun. And I really don't know how to help her not be scared. I've told her what the sound is, we've looked at the train...she likes the train when she sees it. Dunno. Oh well. I guess we all have to be scared of something.