Sunday, July 11, 2010

Now What?

The World Cup ended today with a nasty game between the Netherlands and Spain, and Spain winning it (again with just one goal) as predicted by German octopus Paul (who has predicted correctly the outcome of all the games for Germany and the final in this World Cup). Germany took third (after a disappointing loss to Spain, again, in the semi-final and beating Uruguay). I never watch any sports, and so it's fun for me to get all excited and into soccer every 2 years for either the World Cup or Europe Championship. It's all I ever care about. But, it always leave a little void afterwards after consuming my thoughts for several weeks. So, does anyone have any suggestions what I can get all excited about next? Anything healthily addicting?

18 comments:

Troy said...

There's still half a baseball season left. Plenty of time to find your loyalty and root for your team. No sport anywhere comes close to baseball in its reverence for its past. Baseball is inseparably connected to its history. Who doesn't stand in awe of records that have stood for decades. We talk about them EVERY year! Ted Williams - the last guy to hit .400. Been waiting for someone to touch that record since 1941. Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak. This one's also been in place since 1941. And more recently Cal Ripken, the Iron Man. He started in 2,632 consecutive games, finally breaking Lou Gehrig's record of 2,130 in 1995.
I could go on and on. Hmm, maybe I will on my own blog because football may draw more tv viewers and youth soccer may have more participants than little league baseball but baseball, "the glorious game" as Walt Whitman described it, will always be America's pastime. So join in the excitement Fran. Catch a baseball game.

Franziska Patterson said...

Hahaha, good one Troy! It's hard for me to be excited about any sport. Even with soccer, which I think is fun, I only care about the big games. When my 'State' team plays, I couldn't care less.

Anyway, I don't know who I was talking to about this, but we were talking about sports, and how probably of all the sport out there, baseball is one of the most boring. Sorry, I think ever since I tried playing it once and got hit straight in the face (due to my inability to catch), I've had a dislike for baseball. But I admire the fact that there are people who thoroughly love it. I just don't think I'd ever be able to join the fan club for that one.

So, any other suggestions besides baseball?

Franziska Patterson said...

P.S. I just thought, I may not find baseball very exciting, but it probably isn't one of the most boring sports. I was just thinking how Golf would probably have to win that title. I'm sure there are some other sports, too that I just can't think of right now...

Troy said...

No other suggestions, sorry. It's baseball or nothing. Perhaps it does trace back to getting hit in the face but I've always believed that anybody who thinks baseball is boring either 1) isn't paying enough attention, or 2) is a 21st century person who expects rush, rush, rush, excitement, excitement, excitement. I don't picture you as number 2 so maybe you just need to buddy up to someone who can really explain the sweet subtleties of baseball. Baseball isn't appreciated if it is just viewed as one guy pitching the guy to another guy who is trying to hit the pitch. Every pitch is a chess match between pitcher and batter. Baseball is truly appreciated when one learns why not every at-bat is an attempt to hit the ball as far as you can and that the pitcher isn't aiming for the strikeout every time. Baseball is a game for the true observer. It's more graceful and artistic than any other game really once it is properly understood. I'm still picking up some of its subtleties myself and am amazed at how much of a thinking-person's game it is. You're a thinking person, make yourself a baseball friend and become a student of the game.

Oh, I also think that baseball is a very nostalgic game (hence the connection to its history) and it brings back memories of childhood. For me that's a big part of my fascination with the game - it's ability to spark memories and remind us of simpler times. I like a quote that I read recently (from a female). I'm paraphrasing:

When I'm watching a baseball game it feels for a short time that the world isn't going to blow up.

It's true. When I'm at a baseball game I forget that the world is full of problems. It's just me and America's glorious pasttime. What could be better?

Isa said...

collecting post stamps!!!

Troy said...

or coins. I'm not actively into the hobby right now but I have a nice collection of US coins. It's fun, but a bit costly.

Franziska Patterson said...

Do you guys really collect stamps and coins? I did that as a kid. I guess, collecting stamps could have a certain appeal again now that everyone writes emails. It's probably a lot hard to come by unique, or just different stamps. Coins? I figured the best is to put money where it can collect interest, not dust, right? Ok. I'm kind of being a jerk. You're providing me with suggestions, and I'm shooting them all down. Sorry.

By the way Troy, I don't think I'll never have those associations with baseball that you mentioned. It's a thoroughly American sport that's not being played in Germany at all. I think if I would have grown up here, I'd probably feel a little different about baseball, and associating it with more than just a mere sport. But, in my case that's all it is. I actually think that in terms of sport, I'm more into the action and rush! While I appreciate the skill and hard work almost any sport requires from their athletes, as a spectator, I have a rather short attention span and want it to be 'just fun'.

Franziska Patterson said...

P.S. Unless the sport is dressage, where I really enjoy watching the detail and try to notice the subtleties etc. But usually I just want to see something fun. I don't want to strain my brain. I'd rather do that for a good book.

Troy said...

Collecting coins can be an investment if that's how you approach it. Old coins (Peace dollars, Morgan dollars, Silver Eagles...) that are no longer minted or are not minted to be used as legal tender can have significant value.

It's true that baseball is thoroughly American. However, as with many other aspects of our culture, it has been exported. Though not to Europe, many of the best Major League players come from Japan and Central and South America. In fact, during the last world cup of baseball, the dominant teams (and finalists) were Japan and South Korea. It made for an exciting championship given the historical rivalry and hard feelings between those countries.

Quinn said...

I'll ditto your "Now What?" Fran. I don't know how many games were played total in the World Cup, but I do know that there were over 600 players total - thanks to my kids collecting the Panini stickers, and that I personally watched more games than I could have thought possible - including the Germany /Spain match at a freeway reststop on a black and white flickering Flatscreen TV that had seen better days and too many hours of public viewing, as we travelled back to Germany from Italy. Interrupted by phone, lost train of thought and have to run, but if you are seriously looking for a new SPORT to follow, I suggest basketball - it is one of the most action filled sports there are. But it isn't basketball season alas. oh, yeah - I am personally going to widme meine Zeit meine persönliche Schriftenstudium. 8-)

Franziska Patterson said...

I think Basketball is probably the most likely ball sport, other than soccer, to potentially draw me in. I may be able to get into football, but then it always just seems so rowdy to me. I guess, I just need something good to fill my time again (other than being a mom :). I think I found something though. You'll find it on my blog later today. Hehe...Anyway, Quinn, I would have been surprised if you guys wouldn't have watched the game, whatever way you can. I just couldn't envision you guys missing a Germany game in the world cup! :)

Troy, I had no idea that baseball is played as much in other countries. I didn't even know that there's a world cup for it. I really thought it's basically just played here, with a few stragglers in other places. That's interesting.

As for the coins, I guess it could be fun. I'm just not the collecting kind of person. I always try to get rid of stuff, fat excepted. I think it may be a neat thing though to have when you're old and you can show it to your grandkids or something - like really old coins, or rare ones, or ones from other countries etc.

Isa said...

LOL, I was joking.

Isa said...

If you want a sincere idea, then here:

- getting to know your camera (I'm in the process of doing that, FUN!)

- Learning how to sew (It can get quite addictive once you get the hang of it)

- learning anything else you've been meaning to learn... maybe take a healthy cooking class, etc.

Franziska Patterson said...

Oh, phewwww. Good to know Isa. I was already wondering...

Franziska Patterson said...

Hmmm, that actually just gave me an idea...I've been wanting to figure out/learn how to fix up old furniture pieces into new cool stuff. Seems like everyone is doing it, and everyone know how to. I should get into that.

Camera is also a good idea, though I tried that before by reading the whole manual and trying to apply the things I read. Somehow the pictures remained equally lame. I think I need a cooler camera.

Sewing would be fun to try, except I don't have a sewing machine. That'll have to wait.

But, if anyone has good links/ideas on refurbishing furniture (or whatever it's called), I'd be interested.

Food is always a great one, but I think my cooking is already pretty good. Haha!

Henry said...

I would have to say basketball is one of my least favorite sports. I like golf but only on the Wii and I could enjoy watching baseball or football, but I especially love soccer. Though the world cup final wasn't as exciting as it would have been with Germany.

I think you should take up learning massage. You could practice on me.

H

Isa said...

fixing up old furniture is a wonderful (and addictive) hobby! And it isn't very hard, either! YAY, good luck. Hope to see some of your projects soon!

Henry said...

Good idea! I think I might do something like that.

H