Sunday, April 4, 2010

Xristos Anesti!

That's Greek, meaning 'Christ is risen'. Today is Easter. My favorite holiday. I loved that it coincided with conference this weekend, and to have such easy access to the true spirit of Easter this time. But, what I love the most is to remember the hope and light that has entered the world because of Christ. On Easter, the Greek have the beautiful tradition of lighting candles on Easter eve, at midnight to be precise. It's symbolic for the light that has come into the world with Christ's resurrection. I'll figure out a way sooner or later to implement this tradition into ours somehow. In the meantime though, I'll just rejoice to know that "there is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ" (Mosiah 16:8). There are no words more hopeful than these, and I'm so glad to have this knowledge in my life. Today, I felt the spirit, and I resolved to do better. I want to be a better mom. A better wife. A better human being. I want to reach out to others more. Serve more. Give more. Do more. I love that the Spirit of Christ lifts us up and moves us towards change.

Happy Easter, or as they say in Greece "alithos anesti" - he truly is risen!

5 comments:

Kari said...

I'm sad that this conference we planned poorly, and Bailey was exhausted, so we got like nothing out of it... I'm looking forward to the conference edition Ensign.

Henry said...

We enjoyed having you guys over. Sorry we didn't have more of a spiritual thought before the prayer. I'm working on my initiative. :)

Marianne said...

Amen to this post. Thanks Fran for always being so honest and sharing your thoughts. I love it. And, I love what you did with all your pictures. What a cute cute family!!

Henry said...

I wish I could experience that Greek tradition like you did. We'll have to make sure to make it out there once in our lives during Easter time.

H

joepsg said...

Invite us when you do