Sunday, November 22, 2009

Old Salem

Well, last week when Henry had a few days off, and I was anxious for a little fun trip, we did NOT end up where I thought we would. I had a trip planned for Toronto/Michigan. But Henry wanted to go see family...again. So, we headed out to Henry's parents in Virginia, and went on a little day trip to North Carolina. We decided to see Old Salem, a 18th century town founded by the Moravians, in Winston-Salem. The weather was perfect with sunshine and temperatures in the low 70s. We particularly enjoyed a walk through an old Moravian cemetery. The Moravians were from Czechoslovakia, but I think there must have been a lot of German influence since they called this cemetery a 'Gottesacker' (God's Acre) and a lot of the graves had German names. Every grave had the same grave stone (because they believed wealth/poverty or status shouldn't matter in death), and all graves were sorted by gender and date of death. It was pretty cool, and we loved the serenity of this particular place. Anyway, even though the trip entailed a lot of driving, we had a good time, and also were glad to spend some more time with Henry's parents before they move out West.











3 comments:

KroekieMonsters said...

Sophia is getting soo cute, but you knew that already.

Henry said...

Nice picture choices Franzi! I love reading your blog.

Henry

Sarah said...

Cute pics! We miss you and hope to see you all soon.