Sunday, November 29, 2009

Grateful

Today, Sophia turned 14 months old and today is the 1st Advent. And, it just was Thanksgiving, and my belly is full and we've had family visit. I figured I might as well rejoice in my many blessings and write about what I'm grateful for. There is plenty of good in my life:

  • Every day I'm grateful to be lucky enough to have clothing, food and shelter!
  • To top off the above, I've also got warm, running water and a flushable toilet. I really love that.
  • I've got light and heat (or air conditioning if wanted) - every day. Wow.
  • I've got the most caring, kind, considerate, hard-working and loving husband - and he's superhot, talented and smart on top of it all.
  • I've got a beautiful, sweet, smart, happy little daughter who sings me songs, and giggles.
  • All of us are healthy. Most of my dear friends, and family are healthy.
  • I still have all of the people I love in my life.
  • I can read and write. I wanted to add that I can do math, but that wouldn't be truthful.
  • I've learned to reason and think.
  • I've got an apartment full of books. And I have easy access to books.
  • We have a computer! And internet. And cell phones. Not that you need any of that, but how convenient. And speaking of convenience, we've got a functional fridge, microwave, dishwasher, washer, dryer, TV, DVD player, stereo and a car!!! And bikes!
  • We have lots of instruments like a piano, guitar, flute, and violin, and we have been lucky enough to learn how to use them and make music.
  • We live in freedom. We can be involved in politics and in our communities and influence things for better or worse. We can vote, and decide with our votes in some ways how our countries are run. We can speak our minds, and pretty much do what we want within the bounds of the laws of the country we live in.
  • We have been able to get an education, and to pursue more education.
  • We have hospitals and doctors available as needed. Even with (gasp) government-run health care, we'd still have more access to hospitals, doctors and medication than most people in the world.
  • We know of our Savior Jesus Christ. We have the scriptures and we can be an eternal family. Our lives have more meaning and purpose because of the gospel in our lives.
Really, I could go on and on. When I sit down and think about it, I know that I'm actually blessed all around. I also realize that a lot of these things could be taken from me at any moment. That health, wealth and family can disappear within the blink of an eye. And that makes it even more amazing to be so lucky to have all these wonderful blessings of knowledge, of health, of comfortable living, of education, of family, of freedom, of abundance. I'm truly grateful to have so many wonderful opportunities. I hope to focus more on how much I've been given and to rejoice in the good things of my life, instead of getting hung up on small and insignificant things. In end, only very few things truly matter anyway, and so why waste my time on that of no significance (like the shape of my nose, or my weight on my scale, or a stain on the carpet...). So, here's to gratitude and enjoying the meaningful things in life. Cheers.

6 comments:

Kari said...

Happy first Advent! I feel very blessed too. Sometimes I wonder how did I get so lucky out of the billions of people on the earth now, and the trillions throughout history.

Meike said...

Amen to that!

Anonymous said...

Hear, hear!

I can't believe Sophia is 14 months already! How did weaning go? I could use some tips.

Henry said...

Weaning went well. It basically took care of itself, since Sophia seemed fine/happy to move on. Basically, I just cut out one nursing per day over a a few weeks, and replaced that nursing with formula in my case (otherwise I guess you could just use milk...). Sophia was totally happy to drink out of a sippy cup (or bottle), and so we really didn't have any problems. I cut out our early morning/night feeding last. That one she was a little sad the first 2-3 times for like a minute or two and then she drank happily from her bottle/sippy cup. So, no helpful tips - just lucky to have a really easy child.

Marie M. said...

Thanks Fran, sometimes I just need someone to make the list for me.

Henry said...

I'm thankful for Fran.

H