Nope, this is not about someone getting the Nobel Peace prize and that someone being Pres. Obama (and just in case you wondered, despite my liking the guy, I think this was a very undeserved prize).
This is about airlines. The good news? My sister just arrived for a visit from Switzerland.
The bad news? Up to this point, most American airlines still let you check your luggage for free on international flights (or at least transatlantic flights). Not anymore. Now you can check one bag for free, and a second one for only $50. Yeah. I'm thrilled. Seriously. This may seem insignificant to you. But considering that we are planning on traveling back and forth between the US and Germany for the rest of our lives, and for a big part of our lives with a bunch of kids, and not just for a 1-week stay, traveling with just one suitcase per person (oh wait, it's not only 1 suitcase, you're also limited to know more than 50 lbs per suitcase, which, trust me, is not a whole lot) is just not feasible. In other words, in most cases we will need 2 suitcases per person, which I guess means that from now on, we can add $100 to each ticket. I think seeing my family has just become a lot more expensive and complicated. Needless to say, I'll now be looking very closely at which airlines I'm flying with - chances are good that if I can help it, it will not be an American one.
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That is why we only fly southwest if we can. What happened to super cheap flights??
Dunno. I wish Southwest would fly internationally, but unfortunately they don't. They'd have my business instantly!
That stinks. I forsee your solution:
Okay, everyone wears two pairs of shorts/pants and 2 shirts and 2 pairs of underwear and 2 pairs of socks. Pack only one pair of each and one pair of underwear. Just wear your most versatile pair of shoes. We'll just have to do laundry every day while we're there. And we'll just buy all our toiletries over there so we don't have to pack them.
At least packing will be easy!
I just thought of something...no more requesting German chocolate...
Dude, that does suck!!
I hope, for your sake, that not every airline does that.
I think that's pretty much how it'll be. Cram clothes and stuff wherever you can. The crummy part is that you're not only restricted by how much luggage you can have, but there is a weight limit as well. It's 50lbs per suitcase, and honestly, that's not that much.
So, yeah...no more German chocolate. ;)
Flying used to be so much fun! Stupid airlines (and terrorists), ruin the fun for everyone!
Post a Comment