Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What do Bathtubs, Whipping Cream and Babies have in common?

They were all at Sophia's little birthday get together. Today is Sophia's birthday. We decided to pass on the whole cake business for several reasons. First of all, I hate baking. Secondly, since Sophia can't eat eggs there aren't a whole lot of tasty cakes left for her to possibly eat (and since we don't know how long her egg sensitivity will last, maybe it's a good idea for her to not be into cakes too much anyway). Lastly, I just don't think that a little 1-year old gets a lot out of having a cake. Seems like a lot of work for a little kid who doesn't really appreciate it or understand it. So, somewhere amidst all those thoughts I tried to figure out what we can do for her special day. I figured a healthy but fun snack such as whipping cream and fruit would be nice - and then the whole thing somehow developed into a whipping cream bath.

We were going to fill her little kiddie pool and have a party outside with lots of kids, but it ended up being too cold for that today. So, instead I dumped our freshly whipped cream in the scrubbed clean bath tub, added two bowls with fruit and graham crackers, some plastic spoons and forks and bowls, and then we put in the 3 babies ( I invited 2 of Sophia's little friends to squish in there with her). It ended up that only Sophia liked playing in the whipping cream, but that's all that mattered anyway.

We're glad she had fun. We've been wanting to make this day special for her by simply doing things she loves - reading books, dancing, playing outside, seeing friends, cuddling and...well, she really loves being in the bath tub. So, it's all good. We'll still do an official little letting her ripping open some presents later, and play some more with her balloon, and I guess she can try and blow out a candle. I will report on the rest of the birthday with pics tomorrow. But, for now, here are the pictures from the whipping cream party:










4 comments:

Isa said...

Ahahahaha, what a fun idea! I'm sure Sophia loved this more than any cake you could have made!

Happy Birthday Sophia!

Before you know it, she'll be 2.

Maren said...

Oh what a wonderful idea. So fun!

mom said...

Happy birthday my girl. Hooray for you. You are BIG 1!!!

Angie said...

How fun! What a great idea!!