Last week, Wednesday, we flew into Portland Oregon. We stayed at a hotel, and then headed out towards Washington the next morning. As mentioned, we stopped in this tiny town on the way to Olympia to check out a practice, and got hi-jacked by the optometrist and his wife (more his wife) for several hours. It was kind of fun, but I don't think Winlock is for us. So, after hours there, and a free lunch on the optometrist, we drove up to Olympia. We stayed the night in Olympia, and enjoyed a beautiful drive the next morning around Olympia's little bay, and we enjoyed their farmer's market. It was pretty cool - all that fresh, yummy food. We loved it. Unfortunately we had to move on, and so we left driving out to Seattle. Seattle was cool, but we didn't like the surrounding towns we were checking out as much. However, we did go to Pike Place Market in Seattle, which was cool, saw lots of odd people, and had 3 crepes at this creperie Voila. Very tasty, too expensive, but still worth every penny. We stayed that night in Seattle, and then drove out to La Grande on Saturday. That was our longest drive, taking about 5-6 hours. We were glad we did it as it took us through all of central and some of eastern Washington to Eastern Oregon. It wasn't very pretty, but La Grande was actually a surprise and looked pretty green and foresty. Not what we expected. We stayed with friends who had just finished up at OSU Optometry and bought a practice out there. Henry was really eager to find out what the 'after life' could look like, and I think it gave us some good ideas. On Sunday we headed over to Portland. On the way, we stopped in Hood River for some food, and were suprised at how cool that little town seemed. We chatted a little with some guy we met in the Restaurant, who happens to be a science teacher across the river, and he totally sold the town to us. We'll definitely be looking onto Hood River. Portland was very beautiful, too. We stayed with friends of my sister-in-law, and they toured us around as well, fed us etc. Very nice. Monday we drove through Corvallis to Eugene. We were excited to see those cities, but actually didn't like them as much. Corvallis seemed really hippy, and we already knew Eugene was very...liberal. They just didn't look as impressive to us. Again, we stayed the night at one of my sis-in-laws friends house, which again was really nice. Tuesday was our last day, and we decided to head to Bend. Bend has been one of America's fastest growing cities in the last years, and supposedly has tons of great outdoors etc. It was a beautiful drive over there, through some beautiful forests and mountains, and lava country. Bend was really cool, too, but is a very touristy and 'hip' place. If we set up practice there (or bought rather) we'd probably do fine, but it was a little too 'cool' for us, and a little too remote from the bigger city and airport. We'll see. Again, we spent one more night with friends of my sis, which was great fun again. They told us more about the area of Portland they live in, and other nice areas to consider, and they fed us delicious home-made bread and jam. Awesome. We also walked around the Portland temple with Sophia, which was nice. Blablabla...so, there is our travel log.
Now here's the important part...what did we love and what did we not love:
The Pros of Oregon and Washington:
- beautiful scenery
- lots of great local produce
- great for gardening
- ocean, rivers, mountains
- cool major cities
- proximity from smaller towns to bigger towns
- very environmentally aware
- pretty bike-friendly
- major airports
- sufficient diversity
- lots of tasty foods (especially a lot of Thai and Indian cuisine)
The cons of Oregon and Washington:
- kind of far away from family
- SPEED LIMITS in Oregon (aweful!!!!)
- possibly a little too environmentally aware
- not that cheap for living
- traffic, especially around Seattle
- could be a tad warmer and sunnier in the Western part - but it's not a biggie
- Church possibly still too big for my taste
Result from our trip: We really really liked it out there, and it seems like it may just be the perfect place for us. Henry's sister in AZ really wants us out in AZ and we'd like to be closer to family, which is the major draw back about the Northwest, but we liked it sooo much and find so little things we like about AZ that there is a very good chance we'll end up in the Northwest instead of AZ. We will definitely be looking into places out there that are selling practices etc. We are also still checking out Austing TX in the winter. But, really, it's hard for me to still consider AZ. I really don't like it out there when I started thinking about it. It's a desert, very conservative, not that cheap to live in, and it doesn't have a lot of cultural things to offer (at least not where Henry's sister is), no major airport close by, not very diverse, and then still very Mormon-saturated. Basically, it has nothing of what we're looking for other than family...tough choices that we'll have to make. However, I think our inclination is to find the spot that's right for us, and not make it dependent on family because we don't want to move somewhere just for family and then end up hating the place.
Anyway, I was pretty camera-lazy during the trip, but here are a few pictures for you to enjoy.
16 comments:
I sometimes fantasize about living in the Pacific Northwest. Austin is pretty (for Texas), it's fun and hip and super-affordable, but you will not feel like you're in heaven when you get here. You might feel grateful to get out of the cold, though. I'm crossing my fingers.
Hi Franzi,
Also hier meine drei (Euro)cents: AZ: Wir waren vier Jahre in Tempe und ich könnte mir schon vorstellen, dort zu leben. So konservativ ist's gar nicht (jedenfalls nicht so konservativ wie Indiana). Mormon-saturated, ja das stimmt. Habt ihr Euch Flagstaff schonmal näher angeschaut? Liegt zwischen Sedona und dem Grand Canyon, viel Natur, nicht so heiss, 2 h von Phx enfernt. Wir ueberlegen auch irgendwann im Nordwesten zu landen. Meine Lieblingsstadt dort oben ist Bellingham, WA. Ist aber auch nicht gerade billig dort und etwas veregnet. Aber wenn man einen Ohio/Indiana Winter ueberlebt, hält man es dort bestimmt gut aus. Und so schlimm wie in Deutschland ist das Wetter dort garantiert nicht. Und Austin, TX is super. Die Stadt hat wirklich viel zu bieten. Liegt mitten im konservativem Texas, merkt man aber nicht und das Wetter ist super. Auch gut zum gärtnern. Aber für uns wär das auch weit weg von Familie. Jedenfalls scheinen uns ähnliche Orte zu interessieren. Wann ist es denn soweit für Euch? Ha, ha, vielleicht wohnen wir irgendwann mal in der gleichen Stadt!
I know what you meant, but it sure seemed funny when you wrote that the church was still "too big for your tastes." Perhaps that 6 member church it started out as wasn't so bad, eh?
Doerte, Flagstaff ist noch auf unserer Liste, und wir werden die Gegend dort auskundschaften, wenn wir das naechste Mal in AZ sind. Ich habe AZ noch nicht ganz abgeschrieben, aber es ist einfach nicht ein Staat, der mich besonders anzieht. Ich bin nicht so der Wuesten-Typ. Sonne ist ja schoen, aber immer nur heiss und sonnig ist mir eigentlich nicht so lieb. Wir muessen halt mal sehen. Letztendlich ist der ausschlaggebende Faktor eh wo Henry entweder eine Praxis kaufen kann, oder erfolgreich eine oeffnen kann.
Wie konservativ AZ wirklich ist, weiss ich natuerlich auch nicht, aber ich weiss, dass es ein eher konservativer Staat ist. Ich mag Ohio, weil es ein Swingstate ist, und so ist das politische Klima eher ausgelichen.
Wenn wir mal in der gleichen Stadt enden, faende ich das gar nicht schlecht. Dann hatten meine Kids jemanden, mit dem sie Deutsch sprechen koennen. Das faende ich eigentlich super!
So jealous! I'm guessing all of the people you stayed with and wish I could have seen them too. I need a trip to the beach and some whale watching! I've been in dry Utah for so long that when I get to the moist sea level air and all the green it always amazes me.
You're probably guessing right Reni. We saw Sam and Christine (La Grande is actually pretty nice!), Darilyn, Krista and Mary. We also got to see some nice oldy pics of you when you looked like you were 14. I think you were closer to 20, but still - funny pictures! Well, if we move out there, you've got plenty of reasons to come visit!
Sophia sieht Henry immer ähnlicher .. finde ich :)
Your trip sounds like it was awesome! I wish we could have been there with you. Of course, I would love to have you guys as close as we can get you. Sophia is very cute and not really a baby anymore! I want her & Tim to know each other more. :) I loved the pictures and it does look like it would be very nice in Oregon/Washington. We went fly fishing with Elice & Chris in Sedona, AZ and it was so beautiful there. I used to think AZ was just a big desert, too but now I think it's amazing...still very different than Washington or Oregon though. I feel so bad for your family in Germany because any place you all choose in the U.S. is still very far for them. I guess that makes Washington seem a lot closer to California. :)
Love you guys,
S
Ich habe bedeutet zu sagen: Ihre Reisenklänge mögen es war überwältigend! Ich wünsche, dass wir dort mit Ihnen hätten sein können. Selbstverständlich möchte ich Sie Burschen so nah haben, als wir Sie erhalten können. Sophia ist sehr reizend und nicht wirklich ein Baby mehr! Ich will sie & Tim, sich mehr zu kennen. :) Ich habe die Bilder und geliebt, den es aussieht, wie es sehr nett in Oregon/Washington wäre. Wir sind Fliegenfischen mit Elice & Chris in Sedona gegangen, waren AZ und es so schön dort. Ich hatte gedacht, dass AZ nur eine große Wüste war, auch aber jetzt ich denke, dass es. ..still sehr verschieden überrascht, als Washington oder Oregon obwohl. Ich fühle so schlecht für Ihre Familie in Deutschland, weil irgendein Ort Sie alle in den USA wählen, ist noch sehr weit für sie. Ich errate, dass das Washington macht, scheint viel näher nach Kalifornien. :) Lieben Sie Burschen, S
Thanks for the translation! :)
Henry
Fran
Thanks for the review of the Northwest. We have thought of maybe ending up there when we are all said and done. It seems like a nice area that's close to family but not too close. Does Henry graduate this year? I can't remember when you guys moved in now. Anyways, I bet it was a beautiful trip.
Sounds gorgeous. If you're looking for scenic and outdoorsy, but with a small church presence, how about Alaska?! It's gorgeous... (I'm 100% serious, I think it would be a cool and safe and cheap state to live in, especially since Henry isn't tied to big employers in big cities).
I LOVE Alaska. It's one of my favorite States, and I think I wouldn't mind living there, but considering that we already feel 'far away' from family in Oregon/Washington, Alaska is definitely not close to any family. And Anchorage is not a major airport. Other than that, I wouldn't mind living there. I loved it out there.
P.S. I don't know about 'safe' though. Alaska is actually kind of rough, and has a lot of...'strange' people out there. I felt pretty safe though when I was there.
I beg to differ on AZ. In some places it is huge Mormon. But in others it is a nice blend. However I think you are already in love with the NW.
Back to AZ.. Just talked to super good friend from Eager. That little town was settled by Mormons and near it is a town, Springerville, settled by outlaws. Interesting blends.
That is one thing I love about Prescott. There is huge blend and their local college imports amazing performances and they have a lot of amazing artists. Love it. Keep inquiring.
I really hope you guys find what you're looking for in a location. Of course, it would be great to be near some family--Henry's or Fran's--but you're right in choosing somewhere that's best for your family.
I'm still wondering how strong the Mormon presence is in Prescott, because when I'm there, I don't feel like they're everywhere. I feel like I do here--in a minority in my faith. There is only one stake (which is about to split) in the Prescott/Prescott Valley/Chino Valley area. That's probably around 10,000 members in an area with a population of over 120,000, which is less than 10%. I know that's a higher concentration than some areas in the world, but it's not nearly as concentrated as other areas in AZ like Mesa or Snowflake. Just thought I would share what I've learned as I've researched more about Prescott.
I do have to say...I'm going to miss all of the green trees and flowers--but not the weeds and the humidity.
Post a Comment