Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Parenting Woes

Yeah, aren't you so excited??? Here's another post on the 'woes' of parenting. Not that we don't love it, it's just that I want to pull my hair out - again. The other day I thought 'wow, we're really lucky because Sophia is so easy'. And I think, all in all, our challenges with her are rather small and insignificant. And yet...

I can't get her to eat in any semi-regular way. I guess this is just my first personal challenge to learn to let go and realize that, while I'm Sophia's mother, all I can do is try, and I can't actually make her do anything or be anything other than what she chooses to do/be. Urghhh...no fun. Her eating habits are so extremely random and various that I just cannot figure out a pattern or anything that works, and it's driving the organized-routine-loving part of me crazy. She'll eat one thing one day, and not the other, or only at a certain time, or only at a certain place, or only in a certain consistency - but whatever it is one day, it may be completely different the next. And that's not even speaking about quantities (lots one day, nothing the next...). I posted something about this on facebook, and a friend suggested to have two bowls of food - one with her favorite foods, one with the not-so-favorites, and then switch back and forth what she's getting. Great idea...except, it doesn't work, and she doesn't have a favorite. There is no one single food I can count on her eating. And I hate it. I really hate her eating behavior being so random, and eating so little and (right now) pretty much refusing all fruit and vegetable. And then getting constipated and refusing more liquids. And screaming like a mad-woman when she has to take a nap, or when she gets a diaper change, or when I get her dressed.

So young,...and already so opinionated. So young, and already causing me grey hair and fear of the future. If anyone has a great idea on how to deal with these kind of things, I may be willing to read it. :) But for now, I feel better just venting my frustration on my blog.

4 comments:

Serenity Rachel said...

With 4 other kids to take care of I just don't have time to worry about it. He seldom, if ever, is hand fed anymore. I plop him in the high chair at meal time when the rest of us eat, give him bits and pieces of whatever we're having that isn't a choking hazard (tonight it was little pieces of pork chop, canned corn, dices of fresh tomato and a mix of orange/fresh carrot juice in a sippy cup) and refill the tray when it is empty (either from eating the pieces or dropping them on the floor) It entertains him, gives him practice with his fine motor skills, and allows the rest of us to eat. When I try to feed him with a spoon he just tries to take it away and do it himself anyway. I think you are making it harder than it needs to be. I honestly have no idea how much he is actually eating but I know he will be offered a variety of foods at least 3 times a day (more usually because even my older kids always want snacks) and breast milk in between. He only has his 2 front bottom teeth but they can still manage a lot more finger food than you may think. Freeze dried fruits are great because they dissolve quickly and aren't messy (plus they have no funky ingredients) He can even handle some popcorn if I make sure and take the kernel part out. Feel free to vent, its normal. I'd say try letting her feed herself. Sometimes it works if you give her finger food--say some freeze-dried raspberries to keep her busy and entertained while you spoon feed her yogurt in between. My problem now is that my older kids are picky and complain too much about meals. If you've got any suggestions for that, I'd love to hear them. :-)

Franziska Patterson said...

I AM letting her try to feed herself, pretty much for every meal (3 meals with a variety of foods each time). I do almost exactly what you do, and she won't eat anything or hardly anything of what I give her. We've tried freeze dried fruits and veggies. Sometimes she'll eat it, sometimes she won't.

You're probably right and it doesn't matter how much she eats if anything, but for now it worries me when my baby eats pretty much nothing but a few drops of milk and a wee bit of food. I thought all the picky eating etc. doesn't start start till they're toddlers? I also thought the tantrums don't start till they're toddlers? How come she's already turning her nose up to all the foods I offer and screams and kicks when she doesn't get her way???? I'm flabbergasted. I guess it's Heavenly Father's way of saying "Surprise".

As for your kids...doesn't it say somewhere to 'spare not the rod'? Just kidding. No idea. I keep thinking with food, even now, that what's on the table to eat is what you can have, and they can take it or leave. I don't want to force any foods, or bargain with a kid to eat something. It's just food that's there to eat, and they can eat it or not. If they don't, that's ok, but then that's it till snack time, or the next meal time. I don't want to get sucked into starting to carter to my childrens erratic eating behaviors and tastes, so in your situation I'd plan to just keep cooking what I cook, and they can take it or leave it. If they have things they really like (that aren' too objectionable) they could be included in meals etc. but.

Actually, maybe you can have your kids be in charge of some meals, tell them about nutrition, and finances and then have them plan a meal that fits health and expense requirements. Let them do the shopping for it, and cook it. Maybe when they see how much goes into cooking a meal, they'll be a little more appreciative. I think I read that somewhere in the Ensign.

Meike said...

I am not a partent but to me this also brings up the question: if your kid doesn't eat anything during meals at the table, do you allow it to have snacks then before and after meals so that he/she eats anything?

mom said...

I don't have any answers but I certainly admire the problem.