Friday, August 14, 2009

Give Me a New Post or Give Me Death

Maybe that's what some of you are thinking. I think it has crossed my mind a few times as I checked on other peoples' blogs. No pressure though. :) Well, at least here is a new blog from me, written at the lovely hour of 4.06 am. Everyone's sleeping except for me. While Sophia is doing so much better at sleeping through the night, I'm not. I wake up because I'm hot. I wake up because I need to go to the loo. I wake up because I do. Argh...

By the way, my listing all those 'lyn' names wasn't because I'm baby hungry. Nope. It just somehow popped into my head. And I've always liked thinking about names I liked. Realizing how popular those 'lyn' names are in America, have made it clear though that if I want an international name for future kids, a 'lyn' ending is not really an option. That's all.

So, urm...what's new? Quite frankly, I haven't really blogged anything because I haven't had anything to say. For a moment, I was going to start a debate on circumcision. Should boys be circumcised or not these days? They used to do it in the US because of health reasons, but that has now turned out to be bogus. So, should you torture a newborn little guy with such a thing? Yes? No? Why? Why not? Go ahead and comment if you have something to say. I don't think I'd do it. Of course, then I hear guys saying the kid will be made fun of, because everyone else is being circumcised. As a girl I clearly don't have the insight on how much penis comparison goes on between boys, but really? Do they compare and make fun?

I was also contemplating a post asking for your favorite healthy recipes, and your favorite children's books. I've run out of good healthy meal ideas, and I'm always looking for more good children's books.

Then I thought about starting a political debate, because Troy keeps venting about the course of America and I thought he'd be happy to have a debate he can join to vent some more. But, right now I'm kind of tired of politics.

So, now I'll write about how I took Sophia to the pediatrician today. We made an appointment on Monday, after I talked to the nurse saying that Sophia hadn't gained any weight in the last 6 weeks, and that she'd been pooping 3-4 times a day in the last 10 days or so. The nurse suggested to get her checked. So, in I came. Turned out Sophia had gained 12 oz. and was just perfectly fine. At that point I really dreaded seeing the doctor, feeling like such a fool to bring in my daughter, and I was worried that the doctor would be really curt, and kinda make me feel stupid, too about bringing her in. Nope. Not at all. He was supernice, asked a bunch of questions, including what made me concerned, discussed those concerns, checked her out some more. And then asked me how everything else is going like eating. He actually told me that when they are a year old they're only required a minimal amount of solids each day (I swear, I think he said 1 TABLESPOON of solids). I was so surprised, and told him Sophia eats way more than that. I told him how much she eats, and he said that's plenty and she's totally fine then. That was such a relief to me because I kept thinking she doesn't eat enough, and it's been a bit of a stressor. Now I can relax. Except, he did say that if she doesn't poop every day she needs more liquids. So, now we have to work on that. ...Anyway, I was so happy when I left the doctors office. Happy that Sophia is healthy. Happy that the doctor was so nice. Happy about new insights.

Then we had a great rest of the day. I took Sophia back to the water park again, where she had a lot of fun. And in the evening we played with daddy, read some books, sang songs on the piano, and went to the swing. Sophia really is so much fun. She loves 'playing' the piano, and actually tries to sing. It's the cutest thing when she does. Who would have thought your own kids would be so much fun? That's with the exception of her screaming moments of course, when I dare change her diaper, or get her dressed.

Yup. And, what's new with everyone else?

Did I mention that we're flying to Oregon for a week at the beginning of September? Or that I'm dying for some Cafe Rio food? Or that we're going to King's Island in 1 week? I gotta say: Life is good right now.

40 comments:

Meike said...

What are you doing in Oregon? And where (or what) is Kings Island?
I am all for talking about new healthy recipes. I also need some new ideas. Here is what I have been cooking lately: Chicken with Nectarines and almonds and brown rice, whole wheat pasta with roasted eggplant and tomatoes. spinach with potatoes and feta (well semi-healthy).
does anybody have some good blueberry recipes?

Franziska Patterson said...

Oh spinach. Good idea. I think I'll make my spinach-filled pancakes. I haven't had those in forever. Those are fairly healthy.
Kings Island is a huge amusement park. Henry and I are in Oregon to check it out and see if we want to live there.

Angie said...

Good luck with your trip to Oregon. I'm glad things are going well with you guys right now. It's nice to have some less-than-crazy times.

Last time I went to my WIC appointment, I received a brochure that spells out how much a child 12-18 months should eat daily. It was very informative. Hopefully, you'll get one, too, for Sophia's 1 year appointment.

Angie said...

Some of my favorite healthy foods that I've tried this summer: fish tacos with home-made mango salsa and brown rice made Mexican or Spanish style. I also tried making my own blackberry jam when blackberries were on sale. It's really good, but I think I cooked it too long because it's really stiff like a soft candy. We've also been grilling a lot, including fruits and vegetables. Oh, and we recently tried a "healthy" cookie: "Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies" from allrecipies.com. It even calls for whole wheat flour. I have also made two different blueberry crisps, one with peaches and one with mixed berries. They were both really good...although, there sure is a lot of sugar and butter in the crisp part!

Most of these recipes we have found on foodgawker.com. (Homer drool.)

Henry said...

Can you email me the mango salsa recipe? Sounds tasty...

P.S. Fran forgot to mention that we have now watched our 10th episode of LOST (1st season). I think now I'll have to watch it all. (There goes the rest of our free time.

Henry

Isa said...

I have TONS of healthy recipes. E-mail me. I have lots of blueberry recipes, too, but they are all in European measurements...

Serenity Rachel said...

Of course, I say no to circumcision...probably no surprise there. As far as the getting made fun of issue...there are MANY MANY more uncircumcised boys in America now than in the past. My understanding is that Medicaid doesn't cover it anymore either as it is considered an elective procedure. Of the 13 boys in the Meurer cousins I think only 3 are circumcised. I've read that the intact foreskin is a good source of skin for a skin graft if one is ever needed. I've heard Mormons talk about it as being part of the covenant and such but they obviously never read the New Testament very well (particularly Galations, esp ch 5 vs 6) There are some problems that can arise but I say deal with those if/when they come. If it ain't broken don't fix it. I've had 4 boys, the oldest is 8, and I've never had a single issue.

On another note, I can't sleep these days either! Its weird because I've never had sleep problems before. Oh well. I don't have any solutions (though I am going to do better with my exercising as that helps) just know your not the only one. :-)

Isa said...

I'm impossible. Shoot me. :P

Franziska Patterson said...

hahahahahahaha, I'm laughing so hard, at 3.00 am in the morning.

Well, Isa, maybe you're right, but I don't think we'll have a discussion on that, and start comparing. I know no one circumcises in Europe, and so it struck me as a little odd when I found out here how it's done (still) all the time. Oh well...

I'll email you for recipes. I need more ideas. As for fish tacos...ehm...I'm not a big fish fan, so I think I'll pass on those.

KroekieMonsters said...

Actually, it's not completely true that men in Europe aren't circumcised. When my husband was about 6 or 7 his father went through a phase of fancination with the Turks and got himself and his 3 sons circumcised. Tobi found it came in really handy at scout camps when it was more difficult to bath daily. We decided to circumcise our boys - I just told Tobi I wanted it done before they were old enough to remember it - not that Tobi was tramatized by the painful procedure, but I just thought it would be nicer not to remember it.

KroekieMonsters said...

We'll be in Oregon the 1st week of September too! Tobi has a friend who is getting married. You should move their too, so we have more reasons to visit Oregon. We love the Coast - the inland bordering on Idaho side is pretty desolate though.

Franziska Patterson said...

Well, Aliza for what reasons did you choose to circumsize, since health/hygiene reasons have been proven to not be an issue (in other words, circumsized boys do not suffer less health related problems in that area or whatever than uncircumsized, and I even heard the good argument that women have just as many skin folds and they are doing just fine...). So, if health/hygiene has been proven to not be improved by circumcision, why do it?

And while there may be some few kids in Europe who get circumsized, it's definitely not the trend. I'd say Tobi is the first one I've heard of...

Marianne said...

1st I love your random posts:) It's like having a conversation with you:) I just wanted to put in my to bits about circumcision...in that I really don't think it's torture for the little guys. The times I've seen it done while in nursing schol, they hardly even whimper- so really I think what it comes down to is personal preference- which that can be quite debatable:) I know that there are people that just do it so they "look like daddy"
Anyhow...You will LOVE Oregon- it is such an awesome beautiful place!!! It's one place we have talked about settling in. You should definitely visit the coast if you are going to the west side. I'm jealous! Keep the posts coming.

Serenity Rachel said...

I have to say I think the "so he looks like Daddy" argument is about the stupidest one there is, though I hear many people use it (though no one here has used that argument or I'd have to keep my mouth shut :-) )I mean, if your husband was missing a finger or a hand would you cut off your son's just so they would "look the same"? I think the US will gradually get to the same level of uncircumcision as Europe but I think it will take some time to pick up momentum. I think for most people it is fear of the unknown and failure to educate themselves. Their fathers and all their brothers and their husbands are circumcised so they just go with what they know. I also think many doctors in the US have very little experience with uncircumcised boys and tend to think you have to do more than is necessary and sometimes cause more harm (as in forcing back foreskin when they should just leave it alone and such) Whenever I've had a question about caring for my boys I've opted to ask my sister and her uncircumcised european husband (who is also a doctor--hi Bennie :-) ) as opposed to my doctor here.

There's also that blasted Puritan history coming back to haunt us. I know many people who are uncomfortable with the idea of their sons having to mess with the foreskin in order to clean it as if its going to make them masturbate more or become obsessed with sex. I see it as a great opportunity to teach them appropriate attitudes.

Serenity Rachel said...

Fran, you said that "health/hygiene reasons have been proven to not be an issue (in other words, circumsized boys do not suffer less health related problems in that area" Which isn't really the case. I'd be curious to see what the European medical journals say about it but there actually are some possible medical benefits of circumcision. Urinary tract and other infections in the genital area are more common in uncircumcised and circumcision, at least according to some studies reduces the risk of penile cancer. It seems that this is one of those issues where its hard to really figure out what the evidence really says. But, I still feel that without overwhelming evidence its best to leave things as nature created them. The hygiene thing may have been an issue in the past (traditional cultures practicing circumcision were typically in hot climates--the middle east for example) but with modern plumbing and sanitary practices it isn't a problem.

There really are 2 sides to the story, as with just about every issue imaginable.

(and yes, I've become an insomniac, can't you tell?)

KroekieMonsters said...

Well I'm glad that Serenity Rachel (ie somebody who opts for uncircumcision) brought up the question of where the assertion that "circumsized boys do not suffer less health related problems in that area or whatever than uncircumsized" comes from. Based on the research I've done (mostly reading)circumcision does protect against disease. Circumcised males have like one one millionth of a percent less chance of getting penul cancer than the uncircumcised (ok I can't remember the actual percent, but it was something really tiny). Circumcision has also been proven to halve the occurance of HIV amoung heterosexual males (still have a reference for that statistic:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6502855.stm

so if you are one of those people who will teach your daughters not to have sex outside of marriage and then buy her birth control just in case, you probably ought to circumcise you sons just in case they choose to sleep around rather than head the wisdom of the ages (and the commandments of God).

Also the US military found that those soldiers who were uncircumcised developed more infections in that area than the circumcised one during the first Gulf war (so maybe it's a good idea to circumcise your boys if your country likes to execute military campains in middle eastern countries.)
I have also read that with proper hygene, the uncircumcised succomme to no more infections than the circumcised - so it seems that the problem is that little boys (and not so little boys) aren't all that good at cleaning under their foreskins, so eliminated the foreskin can be a more effective means of eliminating the problems associated with lack of proper hygene in that area.

All these lovely reasons to circumcise, but the reason we opted for it: My husband knows what it's like to be both circumcised and uncircumcised, and he prefers being circumcised. He remembers being taught how to properly clean under the foreskin and being circumcised and it seems that the one time medical procedure was a less unpleasant ordeal than the hygene lesson that preceded it. Anyway, Tobi talked with the pediatrician before our first boys were born to assure himself that she knew what she was doing and wouldn't mess anything up and then we had the twins circumcised. I guess he was less worried about our current male pediatrician knowing what he was doing down there, anyway he didn't get the 3rd degree before Troy was circumcised.
You are right though Fran that not many guys in Europe are circumcised. Tobi says he was the only one at scout camp and unless there was a Turk (ie a Muslim who was circumcised for religious reasons), he was also the only one at school.
My mother-in-law, who wonderfully helped me change many a diaper during the 3 weeks she visited us after Troy was born was so happy we had circumcised him as an infant, she wished someone had suggested the option when her sons were born. She didn't say what problems there had been only that she would have rather they had been avoided alltogether rather than just eliminated when her 3 sons were later circumcised.
Still I think the father's feelings are slightly more important than the mother's when deciding whether or not to circumcise an infant son (unless you think men are more qualified than women to make decisions about women's healthcare). Personally, I think those with the equipment in question are probably best qualified to make judgment calls about its care.

Franziska Patterson said...

Well, if there are legitimate reasons in regards to health and hygiene, then those reasons I could understand as a choice to circumcise. But, my understanding was that hygiene (I guess with the proper instruction) is not a problem, and that health is (apparently) only minimally making a difference.

I wonder though how many people circumcise for health/hygiene reasons, and how many do it 'just because'. I do agree with Reni that going ahead with such a procedure just so you look like daddy is a silly reason. I mean, do little boys really pay THAT much attention to how their father's gentials look? And, I agree with her, would we adjust other body parts, just so our sons look like their fathers? That really seems a weird reason to me.

Anyway, I guess this issue is kind of irrelevant to my family right now, but I do want to look more into it in case we ever have sons. I think I'd still lean towards not circumcising, but I agree with you Aliza, that the husband's opinion would definitely play a bigger part in this decision. After all they are the experts on this part of the body more than I could ever be. ;)

I'd be curious to hear though for what reasons people choose to circumcise if it's not for specific hygiene/health reasons...

Sarah and Troy said...

I've not followed this post ceremoniously but I will answer Fran's last question about whether kids pay attention to Dad's penis.
The answer is yes. Just a few days ago Ian (he's 3 for those of you who don't know him) was using our bathroom when I was coming out of the shower. I won't give you a full recount of the conversation we had but suffice it to say that kids notice the differences and are very curious about them. Now I'm not saying that he would be sent into a downward spiral and a life of sexual deviancy if he realized that our circumcision status was different (which it isn't, we've both been snipped). So that may not be a good enough reason to circumcise, but they do notice differences and he looked very puzzled even after I explained why Daddy's looks different. Just my observation.

Serenity Rachel said...

Yes, they certainly will notice the difference. An circumcised nephew was in the the bathtub with several uncut cousins and later asked his mom why his looked different. She explained why and he was appalled, "You let them do that to me when I was a baby!?!?" They will notice but I don't think it is a complicated issue to explain, either way. My husband is circumcised but none of my 4 boys are and its no big deal. Aliza, I do find that very interesting that your husband prefers being circumcised. I'd be curious about the experiences of those who were circumcised as adults and experienced sex both ways. Still, I'm comfortable with my decision. They can always choose themselves to be circumcised at any time they choose but once that foreskin is gone its gone.

Henry said...

I'll never know any different and if it doesn't really do anything, I think I would lean to not circumcising my boys. If they really want it done, we could have it done later when they could choose for themselves. :)

To quote scripture: We should all "Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked."

Henry

Henry said...

From what I glean from the scriptures circumcision was another way for God to make his people different from those around them. Though, it wouldn't surprise me to see benefits from it like with other laws he gave the Jews to not eat pigs or diseased meats, etc...

Henry

Franziska Patterson said...

I think I'll prefer the stiffneckedness over circumcision. ;)

Well thanks for the input on kids noticing the difference. I really was wondering whether they'd pick up on that or not. Now I know...good to know. I guess they are more observant than I want to think.

KroekieMonsters said...

About the comment that you wouldn't cut off a kid's finger or something to make him look like Dad. The finger is useful. What the heck is the foreskin good for? I've only ever been informed as to why it is inconvienent as a collecter of gunk of a less then pleasant aroma that you need to be sure and clean out so you don't put yourself at risk for not so fun infections - but does it serve a useful purpose?

John-David and Kathryn said...

Wow, that post brought on some interesting debates. I learned a lot. I will just toss in a thought. It's lot less painful to have babies circumcised opposed to adults. I know someone who was circumcised in junior high who was down for the count for a week. I personally like the look of a circumcised penis better but people can do whatever they want. It's a personal choice. Fran, as for the blackberries. I take it that you have been to Circle S farm, if not ask for directions. There is a road right before Circle S farm called Biggert Road. Take a left on it and go about 1 or 2. You'll come to a big house with a bunch of blackberry bushed next to it. It's called Sullivant's. Give the blackberries a try. You can actually eat them all by them selves and they are sweet.

Serenity Rachel said...

found this little segment from here:
http://www.enotalone.com/article/3513.html

Isn't The Foreskin A Vestigial Organ Like The Appendix?

No. First of all, the appendix is hardly a vestigial organ. This myth was created back in the nineteenth century when medical science was too primitive to figure out the purpose of the appendix. Doctors back then were foolish enough to think that any organ whose function they were unable to understand was functionless and vestigial. Nowadays, we know the appendix to be an important part of the immune system, producing large quantities of lymphocytes and pumping them into the small intestine. Similarly, the myth that the foreskin is a vestigial organ was invented by circumcisers as an additional justification for imposing mass circumcision on the American people. The foreskin cannot be vestigial. The results of a fascinating study conducted by Dr. Christopher Cold and Dr. Kenneth A. McGrath demonstrate that the human foreskin is an evolutionary advancement over the foreskins of other primates. The human foreskin is far more sophisticated and responsive, as their comparative anatomy studies prove. This is seen most clearly in the evolutionary increase in corpuscular innervation of the human foreskin and the simultaneous decrease in corpuscular receptors in the human glans relative to the innervation of the foreskin and glans of lower primates. In other words, in monkeys and apes, the glans is more sensitive than the foreskin. In humans, this is reversed, so that the foreskin is more sensitive than the glans. If the foreskin were “vestigial,” this advancement would never have taken place and the human foreskin would be either equally or less sensitive than the ape foreskin.

It is important to remember that there are no vestigial organs or body parts. Each and every part of the body serves a specific, important purpose. If the foreskin failed to serve a purpose, it would have disappeared millions of years ago. Drs. Cold and McGrath conclude that, over the last 65 million years, the foreskin has offered reproductive advantages. It must also be remembered that sexual selection has refined the external genitalia of every creature, including man. The human foreskin is the product of millions of years of evolutionary refinement, and, as such, the human foreskin represents the epitome of design perfection.

Copyright © 2002 by Paul M. Fleiss, M.D.

Franziska Patterson said...

I'd say those guys are real fans of their foreskins, eh? But, I kind of agree. I'm sure that Heavenly Father knew what he was doing when he created us, and that he created every part of our body with a purpose. So, maybe just as these days we are encouraged to not pierce our bodies excessively (because they are temples) or tatoo them, we probably shouldn't chop anything off, just because it's the fashion. There probably should be thought and good reasons involved. That's just my guess...

Again, I'd really be interested in reading more about actual health benefits if any of circumcision, and it would be really interesting to find out if/what it may do to sexual pleasure. But, that's probably hard to find out since you'd have to interview or test guys who have been circumcised when they were sexually active. That's probably pretty rare.

KroekieMonsters said...

Ok so the foreskin is more sensitive than the glans. How exactly is that bennificial? To say it must be or it would have disappeared is not really a viable explaination - particularly in regards to humans. We look for ways to keep living when nature would have long since put us out of our misery (you made have heard of the medical profession)and we find ways to reproduce when nature doesn't make it happen. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying you have to cut something off or out, just because you don't use it. All I'm saying is - It has been explained well to me, why a foreskin is a bother. I still don't understand any advantage it presents.
As to your question Fran, the only guy I know who falls into that category is my father-in-law, and you know that is just not a conversation I really want to have with him. I read on the BBCnews website that there has however recently been some push in Africa to circumcise for the benefit it provides there against the further spread of Aids (among heterosexual men)- someone ought to question those men.

KroekieMonsters said...

Oh one more thought Fran. Do you think God could have invented the foreskin for the purpose of having something he could tell men to cut off to test their dedication to him? (I've read the New Testament, so I'm not saying he still requires it - after he said he doesn't. But hey that could have been a good reason to create it). What do you think?

Henry said...

Urm...I'm sure he could have. I mean, he can do pretty much anything, right? I personally do not feel so sure though that that's how it is. Also, I thought, even though right now we may not know of any specific 'value' of the foreskin, that doesn't meant there isn't one. Our scientific knowledge is not complete, and changes and increases as time goes on. What may appear useless right now, may prove to be valuable in 20 years, etc.

My personal feeling is along Reni's that, if it's not broken, don't fix it. In other words, if there isn't a pressing reason to alter/change/cut off/whatever something that naturally given to us, leave it alone.

Sarah and Troy said...

My opinion of circumcision is this- it's nobody's business. We chose to do it because that's what the men in our family do and I don't think that's in any way a stupid reason. Maybe that's not very European but since I'm American I think that's just fine.

Franziska Patterson said...

Well, it's not really anyone's business to pry that information out of someone. I guess other peoples genitalia aren't really anyone's business. But, we were just having a discussion on why some people choose to circumcise. No one said, it's stupid. Or at least, I didn't. I also don't think it's a matter of European or American. It was simply a matter of curiosity as to the why's or why nots.

In the end, everyone ought to do what they feel is the right thing/comfortable thing to do.

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! I'm late to the circumcision party! Here's my two cents, anyway.

As Reni already pointed out, there are proven health benefits to circumcision. But they aren't great enough to recommend routine circumcision for all newborn boys. On the flip side, the morbidity and mortality rate of circumcision is so low as to be statistically insignificant. This is just a fancy way of saying that circumcision is a non-issue.

Of course, if you read the Intactivism forum at MDC you won't get that impression. Those people are obsessed, OBSESSED with the condition of male genitalia in America. How sad for them. There are so many better things to be obsessed with. Like Reni put it, it's probably due to a "failure to educate themselves." Maybe they could if they didn't spend so much time poking around on inflammatory anti-circ websites and applied themselves to a mastery of the scientific method.

So, since it doesn't actually matter whether a baby is circumcised or not, I think it's inappropriate to use the word "torture," when discussing circumcision. That's a gross exaggeration and it might be offensive to parents who do choose to circumcise their sons. It's as outrageous as accusing someone who uses disposable diapers of child abuse.

In my opinion, intactivism is just another way for competitive moms to call attention to themselves. Not that any of you are intactivists. Just sayin'.

Franziska Patterson said...

Well, it may not be torture. But if it doesn't matter, then why would I put my child through an uncomfortable, likely painful, and apparently useless procedure, just so...it just doesn't make sense to me. I wouldn't pierce my child's earlobes for the same reason, even though my ears are pierced. There is no real benefit, and no real purpose, so why inflict that pain on my child. And even though (as mentioned) it may not be as hurtful, there is no way it doesn't hurt to some degree. And I doubt that there is a zero chance for complications when you cut something. Again, risks are probably minimal making it rather insignificant.

For me, since circumcision is something really unfamiliar to me, I was just curious why someone would do it, if there is no benefit or reason other than 'that's what we do'. I know Sarah said that that's not a dumb reason, and I won't go around and tell others what they are doing is stupid or not. As she pointed out, it's not my business. But, that doesn't mean it has to make sense, or that it does, or that I have to understand it. Because I don't. The reason I bring it up is because we may have sons one day. I was wondering if there is something I should know why this may be important to do, since it's so popular. But, apparently there is no reason for a lot of people other than to just do it because we do it. That's enough for me. Our sons will not be circumcized.

Anonymous said...

Choosing not to circumcise your son is completely different from intactivism. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't accusing anybody of that. If the parents of a boy choose not to circumcise him because that is what they prefer and they feel the risks of circumcision outweigh the benefits of it, that is their right and it makes a lot of sense.

But when people accuse the parents of a circumcised boy of torturing their son and committing child abuse, that is not OK. Or if they threaten to sever their relationship with someone who is considering circumcision for their son, that is way out of line. Again, I'm not responding to comments here so much as the general attitudes of intactivists.

I'm sure circumcision hurts. I think it should always be done with local anesthesia if it's done at all. But then, frequent UTIs hurt, too. I dunno. I'm still on the fence about whether I would circumcise my own children. Luckily I haven't had to make up my mind yet.

Interesting discussion. You sure know how to rack up the comments, Fran!

Franziska Patterson said...

Well, there are definitely some nutters out there.

Maybe I should try and clarify my position and views, so we're all clear and no one gets offended.

I definitely don't think circumcision is torture or child abuse or anything like that. Actually, I'm pretty indifferent on the topic, mainly because it's never been something that has come up in my life. In Germany, they don't circumcise, and so I never thought about it, heard about it, seen it...whatever.

But, now I'm in an environment, where things are different. If we have a son at some point, I'm sure hospital staff will ask whether I wish to circumcise him or not. So, in a way, now I'm forced to think about it, and make a choice.

I agree with you, that probably either way, the benefits/risks are small, and it probably doesn't matter much whether you circumcise or not. It does come down to preference. But, I think any preference has a basis, a reason. You choose one thing over an other usually for some reason, may it be ever so small.

So, this whole discussion was simply for me to hear some reasons for why some people choose to circumcise. In no way did I intend to question someone choice, or criticize (in case someone felt that way...), but just to hear reasons. Clearly, some reasons may sound compelling to me, and others won't.

The reasons I've heard so far are that it makes hygiene a little easier, that that's what they do in their family, it looks better, and so the sons look like daddy. The hygiene one is the only one that makes sense to me. But, that's probably part of my personality. It's hard for me to do something 'just because that's what we do' or even for looks. I don't even stand up in Relief Society when the young women recite the Young Women theme, because I don't understand why I ought to stand up for that...I guess, I'm just weird like that. I want a clear cut reason why something should be done. In regards to our bodies, I figure Heavenly Father created us, and declared it good. So, if I alter my body in any way, I feel I need to have a good reason...and good reasons to me probably are only health reasons (physical or psychological). Actually, I think it's messed up what we allow our cultures to tell us to do to our bodies. I mean, why do we shave? Only because our culture tells us that's attractive. But, if I naturally grow hair on my legs and arm pits, maybe there's a reason for that...Again, all of these are probably minimal differences, and I certainly shave!!! But, if there is a choice, and there is no social pressure, I'd rather not alter something that seems naturally to belong. I don't know if that makes sense.

But, just because I'm like that, doesn't mean I have an issue with how other people do it, and I don't think anyone should. I really think it's a personal choice, and I'm fine with people doing whatever. But, from what I've heard so far, I guess we won't circumcise.

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ynizihom.builtfree.org/ofyqib.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://domileju.freewebsitehosting.com/cabybe.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I begin take up real money.
It's all about how to select a correct companion who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the profit with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Now, I feel good, I begin to get real income.
It gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the income with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin to get income with a sum that usually is spent
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]