- reasonably close to a MAJOR airport (I'd say no farther than 5 hours drive max.)
- sunny/warm enough climate that I can have a vegetable garden
- somewhat culturally diverse
- preferably safe (crime-wise)
- reasonable living expenses (ie. I wouldn't want to pay $300,000 or more for an average house)
- area that is growing
- family friendly environment (in other words nice outdoors, or bigger cities close by with things to do)
Saturday, June 6, 2009
Help!
Since we just had a whole bunch of student couples move out of our complex this week, I realize that times goes by quickly, and in just 2 years Henry is planning to set up a practice somewhere in the US. We've already brainstormed a little on places we'd like to live in etc. but geeze, the US is certainly is a big place and there are lots of potential places we could look into. It's helpful though to narrow it down a little. Today, I tried to think of potential cities and places, but I've decided I only know so much and I wouldn't mind additional input. So, ANYONE who reads this, if you feel like you know of a nice city/place that sort of fits our criteria, I'd like to hear it. Here are some of the things that are important to us (not necessarily in order of importance):
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Guess you better move back to Utah! ;-) Although I'm not sure if Utah counts as culturally diverse...I was excited when I learned that Sam and Christine were moving to Oregon and then I learned it was only to La Grande--if you're going to do Oregon make sure you go to the pretty part which would be west of the Cascade Mountains, otherwise you might as well move to Idaho. I LOVE Portland and the Pacific Northwest in general. And they are more environmentally conscious there than in the rest of the US.
I would have said Boston, but the average house there costs $ 600,000.
I personally have a thing for New England, and I think you would love it there... it's so European, and very diverse. It isn't the cheapest, but definitely worth it. (Rhode Island might be cheaper, and it's beautiful. too.)
My second choice would be the West Coast... have you ever been in Northern California? It's magnificent. Again, it's probably too expensive. (I'm thinking: there is a reason why nice places are expensive, everybody moves there). How about Washiington? It's by the coast, Seattle is close-by.. And the climate is much like Germany's.
Anyway, with your kind of criteria, the first state that comes to mind is Texas. I know what you'll say: Texas?! Dallas is a growing city, there is actually a lot of international people there, and it's actually quite beautiful.
And then, there is always Utah and Colorado.... but like Reni said, it's not exactly culturally diverse.
Good luck!
I think Portland would fit your bill well. It's not quite as culturally diverse as Seattle, but it's much cheaper and not quite as rainy. Portland has nonstop flights to Frankfurt and Amsterdam, making visits home fairly easy, and you should have no problem gardening there.
Since everybody is suggesting Washington: how about moving to Forks. I hear they have sparkling vampires. ;)
haha...interesting. Washington and Oregon are actually two states we're looking into. Reni, I should have mentioned that Utah is not an option because Optometrists make no money there, and it's not diverse and it doesn't have a major airport. Also, last time I was there I found it actually getting rather expensive, which of course may have changed now with the economy the way it is. But, Utah is not an option (even though the other criteria fit I guess).
So, Oregon, Washington are two candidates. We're also considering Colorado and Arizona or Northern CA (but as mentioned it is very pricey). Texas has been on our mind, but more in the back. Does anyone know of particular cities you've heard about in those states that people like (other than Forks!).
Dave, THANKS for the airport info. That was actually extremely valuable info. If you know of any other airports in the west that have good connections to Europe, please let me know!!!!
We'll let you know when we know where we are going. That should be on your criteria list!
I liked what Kari had to say, and as for me. I'm seeing what people have to say about your criteria...sounds pretty much the same as ours.
Um, how about Austin, Texas? No, seriously, it's got everything you mentioned and it's way, way more affordable than the Pacific Northwest. DFW airport is only three hours away!
Oh, oh, oh! I forgot to mention that a lot of the little towns around Austin were settled by Germans in the nineteenth century. Some people are still native speakers of a dialect called Texas German and there is no shortage of traditional German food!
Well i think you should be somewere at the east coast, that would be nice and ceap for your lovely family to visit. So thats to this=)!
Isn't gardening quite difficult in Arizona? I was mostly teasing about Utah anyway. (its Reni, not Abe)
We have some friends moving to Lubbock (or Lubbuck) Texas. I believe it's a growing area. So is Austin.
Prescott, AZ. Prescott Valley has grown over 30,000 in the last 20 years (went from almost nothing to 40,000 in a short period of time). You know why we encourage that. Housing is becoming more and more affordable. You could get a foreclosure home (4 bdrm 3 bath, 2 car garage, at least 2000 sq feet) for around $200,000 right now. That size home would go about $250,000 right now (just remember...Chris and Elice bought their home as a 3 bdrm and finished the basement before they moved in).
If you want everything you're saying, North Carolina (where UNC is...I think Raleigh) has a strong economy right now and house prices are definitely affordable there. It's warm and sunny and things grow so much better in these wet climates than the drier Western climates. Anywhere in the South (I've heard some good stuff about Georgia and Alabama) would give you affordable housing and those areas haven't been hit as hard by the recession. The downside is...far away from all family. The upside...right in between family.
We'll be seeing you soon, and if you want some advice about how to find information you're looking for, we'll be glad to let you know about the resources that have been good for us.
Last thought...with Rob setting up his practice now, it would be nice to have a definitely idea no later than 1 year prior to graduation. There is SOOO MUCHHHHHH to think about and decide in setting up a practice..........
Well, right now Henry and I are looking into places that we like for the place they are. Family is less important at this point. We don't want to live somewhere we don't like as much just for the sake of being close to family.
We may like the south, but a lot of places there don't have major airports (as far as I know). Georgia has the Atlanta airport, but other than that...I don't know of any big ones out in those areas, and a big airport somewhat close is probably THE most important criteria for us. So...I don't know about the South. I'm also not sure about the people/mentality. I've never really been in the South, and so it makes me a little unsure.
My first thoughts were Seattle and Portland (before I read all the comments). :) Austin sounds neat and I believe Texas has quite a lot of diversity, but I have no first hand experience. The South on the other hand, I do have first hand experience (Louisiana anyway, which may be more closed minded than most of the south, not sure) and I wouldn't recommend the South. There are MANY nice people, but there are also MANY closed minded people!! It was quite heart-breaking to learn just how closed minded and prejudice people can be there.
I also love the East Coast as well, but it seems expensive. :)
I'm excited for you two!! I think it would be a great experience to pick a place on the map and move there, not knowing anybody. :)
Just a side note - SLC has direct flights to Paris everyday, and it is a nice small airport that is easy to get through in short time because it is not huge like some - LAX for example. I'm surprised vicinity to someone in your families doesn't make your list AT ALL. Not sure why you couldn't have your cake AND eat it too!
Post a Comment