Well, whaddayaknow? Sophia still has a really infected left ear - full of puss and all. No wonder she cries in her sleep. I was glad I took her in, but I'm sad that my baby still has to deal with this. However, talking a little with my new, nice pediatrician, I gained a few insights.
1. He said about 60% of ear infections do clear up on their own within a few days
2. He said mild ear infections (a little fluid or redness) is usually not mentioned by doctors, and those ear infections CAN be caused by allergies.
3. He said a full-blown, serious infection like in Sophia's pussy ear, is usually best treated with antibiotics, especially since I've waited a few days already and she hasn't improved on her own. He also thinks these kind of ear infections are usually a result of anatomy (family genetics) as well as just a lot of germs taken into the body.
4. I personally think that my homeopathic ear drops probably work well for the mild stuff, but probably not for the hard-core ear infection...I'm thinking about using it preventatively though once we're through with the antibiotics.
I feel enlightened. Battle plan: wash all my toys, clothes, sheets etc. and totally watch what Sophia puts in her mouth in the next month or so. No more toy sharing with other kids. And, once we're through with the antibiotics (oh how I dread this already), a check-up with the doctor and my ear infection drops to prevent another infection (hopefully - I mean, it's worth a try, right?).
Poor Sophia. I hope she gets better soon!
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Of course for a serious infection I'd go the antibiotic route too, that's what they are for. I'd also recommend looking into a probiotic supplement to replace the good bacteria that will be killed by the antibiotic as well. They have ones especially designed for infants. Good luck, I'm sure she'll get better soon.
Yup, I made sure to pick that up this time. They have one called...erm, called...something with an F. I forgot. But I have it. I really hope she gets over this this time around. I'm not happy to have to use antibiotics so much. I think we feel the same way. Less medicine often times is better, unless you can't avoid it and really need it.
Oh, poor baby. I hope it clears up soon.
It sounds like you've got a good pediatrician!
I see my comments fit in accordance with those of your doctor. That's nice.
Post a Comment