Thursday, May 14, 2009

7 Years

  • It has taken me 7 years in this country to discover that there IS 'normal' tuna. I've never been a fan of the mushy, funky canned tuna, but thought that's all there is. It wasn't until the other day that I gave those funny 'solid and white Albacore' cans a closer look, to realize they were ALSO tuna - the 'normal' kind, for twice the price. Nice! Who knows what I'll discover next. Maybe Velveeta turns out to be 'real' cheese...
  • Sophia seems to be getting better now. She ended up having an ear infection, and since she's been on the antibiotic a few days, she's started to sleep better again, and last night she finally ate some solids again as well - which is good since I think the antibiotic is giving her a bit of a diarrhea. Maybe I'll start sleeping better again soon too. Last night (and tonight) I was just wide awake in the middle of the night. Great...
  • I got two pairs of cool, new glasses and a 6-months supply of contact lenses - all for only $300 because Henry is an Optometry student. Ahhhh, I love bargains - and my new glasses.
  • The other day, or week or something, when the swine flu(ke) broke out, I had a little conversation with a friend (Thanks Reni) about vaccines. Since then I've had a new interest in the whole 'vaccine' topic and got myself a few books on the issue. I think I now see far more eye to eye with my friend now. So, be ready for a vaccine discussion soon! :) You gotta love all those controversial topics.
  • There are 4 things I love about Germany : healthier foods being more easily available and affordable, alternative medicine not being as despised, more of an attempt to be green and conserve, and an overall more global mind-set. I was getting all sad the other day because I'd really like to be able to go for nice walks with Sophia in the stroller, maybe to the store or something, or to go on nice bike rides with her in a trailer. But alas, there's nowhere to walk here, and I'd not dare for a second to ride a bike here with Sophia in the back. I thought Utah was bad for biking and walking, but I have to say in comparison to Ohio, Utah is a biking/walking heaven. But really the best would be continuous sidewalks and bike paths - or at least a decent shoulder like in Utah. This article didn't help me not miss home a little (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/science/earth/12suburb.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Vauban&st=cse )
  • I've been losing some weight. Yeah!

8 comments:

Isa said...

Amen. We had bikes in Utah and thought it was so weird that you had to load them in your car and drive somewhere for 20 minutes, so that you could actually bike somewhere. The East Coast was much better in that regard, although nowhere near European levels. Gosh Fran, you should move back to Europe!!!! I'm sure they need optometrists here.

Henry said...

Haha...we've considered it. However, Optometry is not an official degree yet in most European countries (they do exist in the UK and France), so that is one problem. The other is earning enough, at least for a while, to pay back those nice, big student loans. Paying back over $100,000 will be hard to do if he can't work at least like an Optometrist. And in Germany he wouldn't be able to. However, we still may move one day. Henry's doing his MA for the specific reason to have more work opportunities in Europe. And, they are working on making Optometry an actual degree/profession. So, who knows...maybe 10-20 years from now?

Dave said...

Hey, those four reasons are why I love Europe so much! Wish it was easier to relocate there - I would in a heartbeat if I could!

(By the way Fran, there are some rumors about a nonstop flight to Hannover from the US starting up ... I'll let you know if it comes to be.)

Franziska Patterson said...

YES, please let me know if you find out more! I'm always looking for cheap flights etc.

Isa said...

Air Berlin also flies to the US (and other North- and South-American destinations). You should check it out, they have really really good deals every once in a while!

Franziska Patterson said...

Why am I refered to as "the other". Any flight deals you find we want.

Henry

Marie M. said...

I miss walking and just looking at things because they are beautiful. Utah is actually really family and nature friendly and i still haven't found the equivalent here in Connecticut (not to mention a lot of rainy days)

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to doing battle with you over vaccinations.