Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tick, tick, tick...

Around the back of our house we have a nice trail that follows the edge of the lake except it dead ends on the side opposite of our complex. It is really nice back there. With ducks and geese and chirping birds, it's full of all the things nature brings, even ticks. In my ambitiousness I decided that I could forge a connection around the lake by running through the shoulder high weeds just past the dead end. It worked really well in the winter when everything was dead. But this time, after lap 3, I felt something on my leg and to my horror I beheld a tick that had penetrated my skin! I thought about running home, but I really didn't want that tick in me any longer than he already had been. Trying frantically to remember the "right" way to remove a tick (vaseline, twisting or tweasing), I resorted to my keys and pressed the ring at his head and flicked him off. I scowered the rest of me and found two more crawling on my clothes. 3 Ticks! I truly was horrified. Could there be more on me? What if one crawled somewhere where I couldn't find it!? I frantically searched the internet for answers when I got home, and combed my hair out thouroughly. I didn't want to take any chances. I'm feeling a little better since the tick on me looked fairly small to what they look like after a "feeding". It also sounds like getting lyme disease is usually pretty rare. I just hope the way I flicked him off didn't squeeze any unwanted juices into me. Ticks are nasty. I really was horrified. I guess I'm not as tough as I thought I was.

Henry

P.S. Here's the nastiest picture I found of ticks. (Mine didn't look like this, but it was as horrifying).

9 comments:

Kari said...

Gross, gross, gross. My sister didn't know about a tick one time, (in Ohio), and thought it was a giant scab on her head. It was super gross. Big and blood filled. I hope you don't have any hidden ticks!

Henry said...

I (we) checked thoroughly. I hope I don't have nightmares about killer ticks tonight.

Henry

Franziska Patterson said...

Henry, the picture is so sick. I think I may have to disable your ability of posting on my blog again. ;)

HeidiPie said...

I think that picture needs a penny in it so we can tell really how big those "suckers" are. I had one once on the back of my head, but luckily my dad had his pocketknife with him.

Isa said...

is it just me, or do these ticks look like jelly beans...? deli-cious!

Maren said...

Nasty! Fran, you seriously need to consider limiting Henry's posting ability. haha

Quinn said...

EEEWWWW! I have a deadly fear of ticks as well Franzi. Probably comes from growing up in the Rocky Mountains of Montana and seeing those nasty things in the fur of our big dogs and hearing stories of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I have to say, ticks in Europe just don't compare either. They are tiny and really hard to find/see (there being of course good and bad in this), but in the states they are HUGE! I will probably no longer be able to sleep well tonight... as Niklas told me before he went to bed, "I think I will probably have a bad dream tonight - I can sometimes tell before I go to sleep."

Quinn said...

Guess what, early this morning my door bell rang - I thought, "who in the world rings at 6.50am?" When I answered it, it was my neighbor with her little boy, she had found a - you guessed it - tick on the nape of his neck and couldn't get it out. So since my doctor was at work, I played brave and pulled the little "sucker" out - head and all. Like I said - EEEEWWWW!!!! They still terrify me.

Anonymous said...

new viagra pharmacy viagra what is viagra viagra equivalent is viagra safe for women viagra generic non prescription viagra levitra vs viagra cheap herbal viagra viagra for sale without a prescription viagra online cheap make your own viagra viagra online cheap viagra doseage