Friday, April 3, 2009

Solid Troubles


Sophia is now old enough for solid foods, and so we've been trying to get that message out to her in the last 2-3 weeks. The only problem: she really doesn't care. I have tried feeding her boiled egg yolk, organic brown rice cereal and normal rice cereal, fresh bananas, jar food bananas, sweet potatoes, avocado and water melon. I would say that the total of all food she has eaten over the last 2 weeks doesn't even amount to a jar full of food. For a moment, I thought I had a winner when she actually ate a good 4-5 spoons full of sweet potatoe. But the next time around, she didn't eat any of it again. I have tried various foods now, in different combinations, warm or cold, home made or bought, with spices and without. You name it. Sophia doesn't really care. But, at least we got some pictures for you from her 3-second love affair with sweet potatoes.



6 comments:

Isa said...

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but: Sophia will eat when she is ready. Don't force her, don't make it a stressful experience for either of you... and just let her decide when she wants to eat.

I hated when people told me this when I was starting Fé on solids, but the truth is they were right. Kids start eating solids when they are ready.

Don't worry about mal-nutrition or anything, breastfed children can go without any solids for the first year, as long as they can breastfeed as much as they want.

Franziska Patterson said...

No, I actually agree Isabell. I've been debating on what I should do, and basically have decided that I'll keep offering different foods each day, but not force her to eat. If she'll eat a few bites, great. If not - oh well. I figure, she will eat when she's hungry enough or ready to eat. I think forcing things is probably a bad idea. I don't want her to associate food with pressure or other negative experiences. So, I'm not worried right now. I was just excited for her to eat all kinds of tasty food.

Quinn said...

Hi Franzi, one other word of advice if you want it... kids are into repitition and blandness when it comes to starting out with food. They don't need to try out a ton of foods. I wouldn't bother "trying" everyday either. Maybe once a week offer her some of those sweet potatoes and eventually she will love them again. When you open a small jar you can take some out and put the rest in the freezer to try next week, that way you aren't waisting a jar every time you try to get her to eat. Viel Spaß!

Henry said...

Thanks. I will freeze food anyway when I prepare food for her. I tried various foods just to see if there is anything she'll even consider swallowing, so I think some experimenting was necessary. But I had no plans to offer all kinds of foods, but stick with the 2-3 things we have tried so far.

I am also not sure about kids liking bland food. Sophia didn't like any of the really bland stuff (rice cereal). But the sweet potatoes, spiced up with some cinnamon and nutmeg, she loved the best.

Meike said...

I personally prefer tasty food :) And if possible dipped in chocolate.

Misty and Rob said...

I can't believe she's already old enough to eat solid foods!!!