Monday, March 30, 2009

Happy Half-Birthday

On Sunday Sophia turned 6 months old. I can't believe how fast the time flies and how quickly she is growing up. Sophia has definitely brought much joy and happiness into our lives already (as promised by her middle name Larissa, which means to give cheer). I thought I'd write a little up-date on her developments.

Sophia now weighs 15lbs 14oz, so almost 16 lbs. She is probably over 26 inches long now, or longer. I haven't measured her, but she is out of all her 6 months clothes, and partially wearing 9months stuff now. She is also in size 3 diapers. Last week Sophia suddenly got 'happy'. So far she has been pretty smiley but hasn't been laughing out loud much. But last week she started laughing out loud more. They are short squeaky little laughs, and everything now seems to get a little laugh out of her. It is totally cute. She also has kept up her chattering and going through all kinds of sounds. Yesterday she started with the 'dadadada' sound. It is fun to listen to her.

Other achievements by now include shakely sitting up, rolling around, and she has already pushed herself up on her knees and arms a few times. Maybe she will be an early crawler. Eating-wise we haven't made too much progress. She doesn't seem into egg yolks or rice cereal, and I tried some mashed banana once which she also didn't care for too much. Just now I tried some sweet potatoes from the jar, and she actually ate quite a bit, so I think maybe eating has been slowed down because of texture dislikes. We will definitely get started on more stuff this week and see how it goes. Sophia continues to be a good sleeper and napper, and she also plays fairly well on her own.

Anyway, we love our little girl so much and feel so lucky to have her with us. It is hard to not be happy when you have a little baby around you who smiles and laughs all the time. I love it, and consider myself blessed for having such a wonderful family.