Monday, December 15, 2008

Weird Things We Eat...


Have you ever thought how many weird things we actually eat? I thought about it the other day as I was making some eggs for breakfast. I just suddenly realized how weird it is to eat eggs without thinking twice. I mean, look at them - all slimey and funky and unfertilized. Also, in Germany we eat "Mett", which in essence is raw ground meat (kind of like hamburger meat ) and you eat it on a roll with some spices etc. It's tasty, but geeze, thinking about it, I realize that's probably super weird to eat.

Then there is all the sea food - that's just weird period. Cheese is kind of strange, too if you stop to think about it, and so is yoghurt. Isn't it all just aged dairy stuff, sometimes even rotten, and full of bacteria. Why do we eat that, and why is it so tasty? Even milk I think is kind of bizarre. Why do we drink cow milk, but if it's from a horse, I'd be grossed out? I don't even dare trying my own human milk -yuck! So weird.

Any other weird foods you can think of? Feel free to tell me about them.

P.S. Video clips of Sophia forthcoming...

6 comments:

Deanna said...

Um, yes, can I just say that when I was in Germany I ate Mett at a ward party and I was terrified!! I had decided to try everything and anything while I was living there, and so I ate it and it wasn't that bad, but knowing it was raw totally freaked me out.

It's definitely true that we eat and drink a lot of things that are just plain weird. A lot of things that are considered delicasies are just plain disgusting looking in my opinion.

Serenity Rachel said...

I was surprised that I liked Mett but it really was pretty tasty. Check out this site http://www.weird-food.com/index.html for some enlightenment. If you think eggs are weird how about some balut which is "a fifteen- or sixteen-day fertilized chicken egg. Open an egg and pop a sixteen-day-old incomplete chicken fetus into your mouth, complete with partially formed feathers, feet, eyeballs, and blood vessels showing through the translucent skin of the chick." Yum!

Dave said...

In Peru, I ate guinea pig. It was kind of weird having something that most people keep as pets.

I would tell you about the weird stuff I had in Japan, but I don't know what most of it was.

I've always thought sushi was a weird food. You take something really slimy and smelly from the ocean, wrap it in seaweed, and serve it raw. Ewww.

Isa said...

Mett.... mmmmhhhhh. First Cheesecake Factory, and now this! Man, I live in the wrong country. They just eat fish here, all the time. Gah!

Kari said...

I try not to think about the things we eat... I had a science teacher in middle school who told us all about canned foods. Did you know there is a law about how many bug parts can be in each can? Gross! Or did you know about ground up bugs in your flour? Like I said, I just try not to think about it.

HeidiPie said...

Yeah, like those mushrooms.