Saturday, November 15, 2008

Therapist for 100, please...

So, we have a serial rapist (the rapist) lose on our side of Columbus. He's raped 7 women since June out in the area, and supposedly first figures out the daily routine of his victims, and then breaks into their homes assaulting them in their sleep. Needless to say, I've started bolting doors and windows, etc. It's a little creepy having someone like that on the lose in the neighborhood, but since his target group seems to be girls in their early twenties, maybe I don't need to worry too much. However, I've been thinking about what I'd do if someone broke in trying to harm me. The thought scares me. Then I thought about what I'd do if someone tried to hurt Sophia, and then I got angry. I was feeling such anger and violence in my heart just at the thought of it that I was sure if someone tried to hurt her, I'd beat them to pulp before they could dent as much as one of her hairs. I was surprised how strongly I felt, seeing how I'm a wee bit of a pacifist, all for gun-control, and have actually worked with sex offenders etc. because I think they need help vs. punishment. And yet, there I was (in my mind) ready to kill, if I had to, anyone who dared trying to hurt my little child. Geeze, those mother instincts are really strong, aren't they? You may call me Mother Bear from now on. :)

4 comments:

Quinn said...

Ok mother bear, so, have you decided it might not be a bad idea to have a pistol in your drawer and know how to use it? Just for the odd chance...

Henry said...

Mother Bear,

I know how you feel. I don't know how I would do it, but I would do whatever I could to defend you and my little baby bear. And I have a tough time killing flies.

Papa Bear.

Franziska Patterson said...

Yes, for the odd chance I have decided it's best to NOT have a weapon in my house. I don't think having a weapon in the house is a defense. If the other person has a weapon as well, it'll merely end in us shooting each other, putting me and my family at greater risk for more lethal harm. And what are the odds that I am right where my weapon is when I need it? I'd have to have it on me all the time. Despite my fears for my family, or rather BECAUSE OF my fear/care for my family, I am absolutely against guns, especially in my house.

Now, some maze, or something like that wouldn't be bad.

Marie M. said...

Teanu always said a baseball bat can help, or a hammer. I have the same feelings that you do Fran. except when I share them with Teanu and say I think I could beat someone up, he looks at me and sighs
"look at you...you'd be killed immediately". I don't want to be a mother rabbit, or cat, or squirrel. I want to be a bear like you!