Monday, October 6, 2008

Paranoid first-time parents....

So, I realize despite all my "experience" as a nanny and daycare teacher, having a little newborn, who happens to be your flesh and blood is a little different. We had a good day yesterday, with lots of nice awake-time during the day, and then again her eating at 9pm, then 12am, then I forgot to set my alarm for her next meal at 3am, and ended up sleeping till 4am, when she made a noise indicating that she's hungry. Anyway, it seemed like everything was great, mom was getting plenty of sleep, baby was eating, pooping, peeing, and being cute. Everything was as it should be. But then in the morning, she started being weird when I tried to feed her, and she only ate very little. Also, she was totally out ALL day, and even with my usual tricks I couldn't really get her to wake up to eat something. As the day progressed, and Sophia slept all day (maybe totalling 30 minutes of actual awake time), I got really nervous and restless, thinking something was wrong.

Of course, all those sheets you get at the hospital etc. of when to call the doctor (like when your baby is hard to wake up or has signs of dehydration like sunken eyes etc.) didn't help, because suddenly everything on there somehow seemed to fit my little baby. When we picked Henry up from school at night, and I got to talk to him at home, I just felt apart and cried so hard telling him how worried I was that she didn't eat enough and that something was wrong. :( He gave her a blessing, and me as well, which was nice. Then we called the pediatrician on call, after I continued my melt-down, and that finally calmed me down. Now she just had a big meal, a big poop, a big pee, and she is wide awake. Hahahaha...now I realize that I'm just another paranoid, first-time parent.

Oh well. I figure it's better to err on the side of safety than have something happen to her. I love her so much. It's so wonderful to be a mom, and to see my beloved husband be a dad. We are so in love with her, and it's pretty overwhelming at times how much we love and care. I had no clue it'd be that strong. What a blessing!

P.S. I'll post more pictures tomorrow.

3 comments:

Quinn said...

There is NOTHING that compares to parenthood, those feelings are also those that bind us as families. Now imagine how Heavenly Father feels. And on a completely different note, now try to imagine how on day 4 they tell you your child might not make it to see tomorrow, as his body has just crashed and no vital organ in him is getting the blood or oxygen it should. You think you felt paranoid...

Deanna said...

No worries - I think that paranoia happens to all of us. I did the same thing with Alia. It truly is such an amazing and overwhelming thing to just all of the sudden have your life and purpose change so drastically instantaneously! You guys are doing great!!!

Henry said...

Fran is doing an awesome job with Sophia, I'm always so impressed with how patient and caring she is. I'm also impressed with myself. I'm so impressed with how fast I now can change a diaper.

H