Sunday, July 6, 2008

What I love...

Today when I had to already say Good-Bye to some of my family members, I got all sad again. I really love being here, and as I talked with some people in Church today, I had to remember all the things I love about being home. So, here is a list of what I love in Germany and that will just never be the same somewhere else (aka USA):

  • seeing beautiful little villages everywhere
  • having country roads through nature that are not open to any kind of car traffic
  • all the greenery
  • everything is organized, clean, and tidy
  • recycling
  • everything usually looks pretty and nicely put together
  • no ugly bill boards or roads full of plastic signs everywhere
  • lots of small businesses
  • bakeries, butchers and Bistros
  • awesome freeways with awesome drivers
  • little food places everywhere, where you just sit and eat and talk and STAY
  • fast food that is healthy (and usually Turkish)
  • biking paths everywhere
  • having your kids ride their bikes to school and back on their own and it is safe
  • soccer
  • the slower-paced life style
  • the community-oriented life-style
  • all the governmental stuff always found easily - just go to the Rathaus
  • the energy and money-conscious life style
  • bikes and pedestrians EVERYWHERE
  • awesome public transportation
  • people singing LOUDLY in church
  • kids playing on the streets, and it is safe because it is not some big traffic road
  • Greenery and peaceful places no matter how big the city
  • tastiest bread in the world
  • an actual cheese selection (that is also affordable)
  • how easy it is to talk with people
  • a lot of family friendly stuff everywhere
  • mentionable student discounts for pretty much everything
  • affordable, good, relatively hassle-free health care
  • global mentality
  • good education
  • walking to lots of places
  • lots of art and music stuff everywhere

I think there are so many things I really love and value here. While there are certainly a few things I appreciate in the USA, such as great camping and outdoors, cheaper gas prices as well as some cheaper living expenses, that almost sums it up for me. I just really love the German life-style, and it will be hard to be back in the States again.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It's funny...all of those things you listed that you love about Germany sound exactly like the kind of place that I would want to live in.
Maybe I need to get over my fear of flying and take a trip with you guys one of these years. :)
-S

Henry said...

Sarah, that would be the coolest thing ever! This summer when we were out in Germany, I really really wished that I could share all that I see and love with the Pattersons. I still hope that some day I can at least share it with most of you!