Thursday, May 29, 2008

Shoplifting, Contracts, etc.

Here are some new stories and highlights:

  • Today I gave my 2-weeks notice. Yipee...I was soooooo glad to get that over with. When I walked in to the Director's office, to ask if she had a minute, she said "why, you gonna give your notice?". She was joking, and thus was a little shocked when I said that's what I was there for. She seemed pretty nice about though, and fairly understanding, and was shocked to find out I was 6 months pregnant. Hahahaha...so funny. I'm glad I gave my notice today, because they actually made everyone sign contracts at work where you had to promise to stay for 1 year, and if you didn't (and the employer didn't agree with your early leave) you'd have to pay back health insurance benefits, fingerprinting fees, training fees, get no references, and you weren't allowed to work at another day care in a 10 mile radius. I actually doubt those contracts are legal, especially since the employer was still allowed in there to fire you at any time for any reason, but you couldn't leave at any time. Doesn't sound like "at-will" employment to me. I never would have signed that. Anyway, good news is: my days at day care are coming to an end, and I am soooooooooo happy. (So happy, I don't even care about the money we won't be earning anymore. I just want out).
  • Here's a book recommendation: Ships without a Shore by Anne R. Pierce. She's essentially speaking out against the negative effects of current child care trends in the USA (namely day care). For that reason alone, I have to recommend the book. I actually read a little about it, and a chapter from it already, and it does seem like a great book especially for those who are concerned with current trends of child care, and their negative impacts.
  • Today I almost shoplifted at Walmart. It's been a long day, and I was pretty tired. Henry and I went to Walmart late this evening to look for some stuff. They had movies on sale for $5 and I grabbed one that I wanted to show Henry to see if we wanted to get it. We dug through the movies together afterwards and decided not to get the movie I had picked out. Then we looked for a few more things and finally left the store with no purchases. As we were about to walk through the doors the alarm went off on me, and I thought that's really strange, since we didn't buy a thing (sometimes those go off on stuff you had bought). The Senior Citizen Door Watch Man was looking at me and as I stopped to wonder why I set off the alarm I noticed I was still holding that DVD in my hand. Oooooppps. The guy asked us if we wanted to buy it, which we didn't and I quickly handed it to him. I was soooo embarrassed. I almost walked out with that movie, never even realizing it was in my hand the whole time. I was so surprised to find it there. The guy must totally have thought we tried to shoplift, and well...I guess I almost did. Hahaha...I'm just glad we ran out of there quick, because I felt so embarrassed.

1 comment:

Henry said...

My little movie thief. You should tell everyone about your last day. So sad.

H