I love Ohio. Of course, after being so eager to leave Utah, I was slightly biased to like Ohio no matter what. But really, I love it out here, and feel that my expectations have been surpassed. First of all, I feel that our apartment ended up being a great choice, even though we hadn't seen it before hand. Not only was it perfectly clean, and in great condition, it was also as spacious as I had hoped. We have two bedrooms and two bathrooms, and even two balconies. We love the view from our bedroom, which goes out into the fields and forests. We are right at the outskirts of town, and beyond our building there is nothing but nature, and a little pond. We hear ducks and geese all day long (and all night, too). We see the most beautiful sunsets from our bedroom balcony, and the pond look beautiful and mysterious in the mornings with a thick layer of fog. I love it. Aside from our cool apartment, I also love that there are many (about 30) LDS couples here, which gives you an immediate socializing group.
I also love the weather. It's been raining, it's been cold, it's been hot, it's been humid, but mostly it's been just nice. Fall is coming finally, and I love seeing sooooo many trees that are changing into a million different colors. Though I loved spring in Utah, I just love the rich greenery out here. We had awesome thunderstorms, and I loved those, too. I've really missed that.
What else is to love about Ohio? Well, it's soooo nice to be out in the 'mission' field again. I just have to say I thoroughly enjoy not being surrounded by only Mormons all day every day. I think that environment does weird things to you, and I'm glad it's over. I love being in a family ward with recent converts, and old-timers. With young couples, kids, and elderly. I love the diversity of people out here, and with it, diversity of food. I love that a major grocery store around the corner has all kinds of German food, for reasonable prices. But, who needs that when there is an ALDI here. Yipee...I can shop at Aldi's and I love it. I finally found a curry sauce that I had been looking for far and wide in Utah, at Aldi's. Of course, for dirt cheap! Ahhhh...and on top of all the food-happiness, there are no taxes on groceries. I'm very happy to be here.
Lastly, I just love seeing old building, seeing things that feel more European to me. I realize I miss home, and always love those places best that have an air of "Europe" about them, which reminds me: Ohio is nicely balanced politically, and I enjoy that, too. Now I don't have to be so careful anymore what I say about the President. Hahahaha...
Really, so far, I've just really loved being out here. Maybe the only downers so far were not being able to find a good job yet (yeah well, that's actually a REAL downer), and...hmphhsgrrrr...the drivers out here stink just as much as they did in Utah. I think I'm forced to believe it's not a state thing, but rather a nation thing. Americans just can't drive. :) (But I still love you all, of course!).
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like this post. I love Ohio too. And I love you. H
Post a Comment