Thursday, October 25, 2007

Most recent obsessions

Being out here in Columbus has lead to two most recent obsessions:

  • Killer Bunnies
  • Twilight Series
Both of them are to blame on living in our complex here, and the lovely new friends we have made out here. Killer Bunnies is a card game we were introduced to just a few weeks ago. Basically, there are endless additions to the game, and you have this huuuuge stack of cards, where you try to get out a bunny card, so you can play other cards that let you do all kinds of things to other people. I'd make a list but really, no list would do the game justice. The main idea is to get as many carrot cards as you can by the end. Winner is whoever has the designated, but unknown winning carrot. And that, really, is the charm of the game. Even with one single carrot card, you still may end up winning. Or you may have 20 cards at the end, but if you don't have a bunny, the cards go to another player. It's just a really fun game, with endless variations. We've been playing this game only since we learned it a few weeks ago.

The Twilight Series became my other obsession when I had to read "Twilight" by Stephenie Myer for our little book club here. I was a little apprehensive, since it was a Vampire/lovestory book written by a BYU graduate. So, how good can it be, right? Well, I read the first 500-page book in 2 days (I got it on a Wednesday night and was done on Friday evening). I started re-reading it right away, and decided the next day, Saturday that I HAD to have the other books. I broke our budget rules and took off to the store to buy book number 2 (New Moon) which I read in 8 hours (but it only had 550 pages). I managed to refrain from breaking the Sabbath (barely) and took off to by the third book on Monday (called Eclipse). This short little 650-page novel was also devoured in less than 24 hours. That was about 2 weeks ago. By now I have re-read all books.

I just don't know how I'll live till next summer when the last book of that series comes out. I mean, how many times can you re-read books and not get lost in fantasy land?

2 comments:

DL said...

A bunch of my friends are also reading the Twilight books. I don't think I'm ready to jump on that bandwagon, but you'll be glad to know that I'm nearly done with Harry Potter #7! I'm sure to finish before the week is out, maybe even tonight.

I'll have to check out the bunny game, too. Sounds fun.

Deanna said...

I'm am completely with you on the Twilight series. I hadn't heard about it until we moved here and bunch of ladies at playgroup were talking about it (right after Eclipse first came out) and they told me it was great. I'm always up for something new, but was also a little bit apprehensive. I LOVE it. My reading pretty much has gone like yours. Two days for the first one and I was DYING as soon as I closed it to get the second one. There were too many holds on it at the library so I went out and bought it and read it in about 9 hours too. I just got Eclipse last night and will probably finish it tonight. Sigh. They're so good. I'm completely addicted and can't stop thinking and dreaming about it. All the signs of good books...